Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-16, 04:43 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

You Tube/Smart TV Frustration

I am finally trying to get with the program and use YouTube videos for various workouts-mostly Qigong at the moment.
I have no problem with it on my iPad but I find it frustrating to use on my smart TV and you tube connected Blu Ray player.

I have "subscriptions" with 3 qigong/tai chi instructors that have playlists set up by category/practice. So for example under "Qi Gong Foundation Practices" there are like 82 videos going over the breathing, poses and then full routines. On my iPad I can get an entire list of the videos press one and bingo it comes up. On my Blu-Ray or Smart TV I click on the playlist and the first video comes up and it is a major pain to scroll through to get to the video I want. Is there a way to call up a list like the one on my iPad? I tried several times clicking in different areas on the playlist but no luck.

Also when I finally get a video I want to use, it will be playing but after a while it sometimes stops and "loading" comes up on the screen and stays there for quite some time. VERY frustrating.

Also I tried connecting my iPad to the Samsung smart TV in my guest room via USB port and it does not recognize my device. The same thing using the USB port on my Samsung Blu-Ray. Do I need to be using an HDMI cable instead? If so, what is the USB port for?

I am so aggravated with this when all I want to do is my Qigong practice (for stress relief!) not spend lots of time navigating You tube on my TV. So I just end up using the small screen on my i-Pad. I got a Smart TV specifically to use YouTube on a big screen. Arg!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-16, 04:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i don't have direct experience, but did you try googling your problem?

i do that a lot when i'm at work and have questions on using a particular software or looking up technical industry terms.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-16, 06:16 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

No I did not Google it. That often does help I just didn't think of it. I will work on that later but in the meantime if anyone has any tricks please share. Thanks!
Old 11-26-16, 11:47 AM  
cyana

I share your pain, Leslie. I finally took the plunge and joined the streaming subscription world and purchased a Samsung Smart TV earlier this year. We have Xfinity broadband running through a NetGear wireless router (not very old) and it isn't unusual for me to lose the sound if I do more than one video. This AM, I was using the Bellicon streaming service and the audio went out about 3/4 of the way through the first video. DH has also noticed the same thing happens to him sometimes when using NetFlix (it seems to be worse with certain programs and if he watches more than one episode). He's made several adjustments to the settings (after doing searches to see what problems other people are having). It seems to work better for a short time and then we're back to square one. I find pulling specific things on You Tube to be more difficult (like trying to locate a specific episode on someone's channel, for example).

At this point I've asked him to contact the concierge service through Costco to see if they can offer any recommendations. If not, I'm all for packing the TV back up and returning it to Costco. We don't have cable TV, so we purchased the TV specifically to use for streaming. At this point I'm so frustrated, I'd probably buy a large monitor and run the video through a laptop connected to the monitor. I've even tried using a tablet in the exact same space to stream the videos with no issues, so it isn't signal strength. It's pretty sad when an old Surface tablet works better than the new Smart TV.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-16, 12:00 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

For one thing, do not use wifi. You'll get faster and reliable connection with a cable.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-16, 12:49 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
For one thing, do not use wifi. You'll get faster and reliable connection with a cable.
Had I known this would be an issue with a TV versus our other devices that we've used successfully for streaming all over the house, I wouldn't have purchased a Smart TV for this room. Not really keen about having to put a modem in my bedroom. In my perfect world, I'd have a house pre-wired with Cat 5 cable. That isn't my reality in an older house.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-16, 02:46 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
No I did not Google it. That often does help I just didn't think of it. I will work on that later but in the meantime if anyone has any tricks please share. Thanks!
This is a newer "feature" of youtube. I have the same problem. I put stuff in my watch later list, that comes up as a scroll list, not the play list.

Other option is to make a separate google id for your videos and favorite everything you like. (although - I'm not sure this works).

They really want all of your data so want your phone or tablet connected while you are using youtube. I think you can hit play on tv from your ipad and it will come up on your tv if everything is logged into the same google account.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-16, 03:42 PM  
horsemom2

The USB port may play files from a USB storage device like a flash drive.
My cheap dvd player port will play avi files and my (dumb) HD TV will play Mpeg files.
You can do a search on your particular models to see what their USB ports will play or tv hook up options.

I can get youtube through an older Vizio TV with internet apps directly connected to our router but rarely use it because too lazy to go through the process of finding the video I want.

Maybe a Chromecast will solve your problem.
I copied and pasted this for you:
While many smart TV platforms come with these services installed, Chromecast takes the pain of navigating warren-like menus out of the smart TV experience. You search for what you want to watch on your phone or tablet, find it, hit the TV icon and it’s casted to the big screen.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-16, 12:10 AM  
runnermom

[QUOTE=lreidgreen;2676031]

Also I tried connecting my iPad to the Samsung smart TV in my guest room via USB port and it does not recognize my device. The same thing using the USB port on my Samsung Blu-Ray. Do I need to be using an HDMI cable instead? If so, what is the USB port for?

QUOTE]

You can connect Ipads & Iphones to TV's with the apple digital AV adapter and a HDMI cable. Lame, I know.
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-16, 10:41 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for your replies. I started saving videos I want to do onto playlists that I set up on YouTube on my iPad so they are easier to find.

My son was home for the holiday weekend so I could not use the smart tv in his room (now the guest room.) I tried playing YouTube downstairs in my gym through the BluRay player and when I found what I wanted to play I got some weird error message. I just went downstairs to check what the message was and of course it is working now. Not that I am complaining...
I also tried accessing the playlists and it was able to do so. Much easier to find the videos I want to play now. Hopefully the videos wont just stop like they were doing before.
Thanks for your help everyone.