Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-16, 08:08 PM  
primrosecat

Hearing aids?

In a round about way, this does affect my w/o as I have trouble hearing it. I have moderate to severe hearing loss in my left ear, and my right ear isn't doing so well either, but I'm 67. I cannot afford hearing aids. I want to try the cheap amplifiers I see on Ebay, etc. Have any of you tried one, or know someone who is using one that really works? I am looking for recs from people who actually use these. Thanks!! PS-I'm talking about the ones that cost around $15-$30.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 12:03 AM  
runnermom

Hearing loss can be a hard thing to deal with. I haven't tried one of the amplifiers, but I do work in a ENT medical office with audiologists. I know how expensive hearing aids can be. If you find you do need to go the hearing aid route, some of our patients use carecredit.com- it's like a credit card but for health expenses. They have some no-interest payment options where you pay the balance back within up to 24 months. I promise I don't work for this company but just wanted to mention this in case you didn't know about it. Good luck!
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 12:29 AM  
BunnyHop

Some years ago I got my dad a set of whichever ones they had at Walmart at the time.

Easy to use, but since he's got manual dexterity issues I had to do it for him.

Hearing aids are better, the help you get is tailored to your specific hearing issues, and I'm glad he's got them now, but the little amplifiers worked pretty well when all I wanted was for him to be able to hear the tv without blasting the volume.

Oh, and FWIW, dad always thought he had more hearing loss in one ear, but apparently the problem he has is about equivalent in each.

He got his hearing aids through the VA, and I'd recommend that route if you can manage it. They do a great job.
Old 10-24-16, 05:12 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Cheap hearig aids unfortunately may not help someone with "moderate to severe" hearing loss. I assume you've had your hearing tested at the audiologist's? What was their opinion? Hearing aids that actually help are shockingly expensive and they are not covered by Medicare. I don't know why, since hearing is not a luxury but a necessity. I know, since my DH is living with mod/severe hearing loss and is wearing hearing aids. The expensive ones, since he needs them to function. Good luck.
Old 10-24-16, 07:43 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I got a hearing aid at Costco and compared to what i would have paid for from an audiologist, it was much cheaper. And, they ran the exact same tests to determine my hearing loss.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 08:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hearing aids aren't covered by Medicare? Agree with Dana, it's not like hearing is a luxury.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 08:52 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Hearing aids aren't covered by Medicare? Agree with Dana, it's not like hearing is a luxury.
There is a heck of a lot that isn't covered by Medicare--long-term nursing home care, dental care, etc.

I've also heard good things about the hearing aids from Costco.

Here's a good article from Consumer Reports about hearing devices.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 08:57 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

This isn't hearing aid advice but have you tried using the closed captioning? I think all or most dvds have it. My DD is deaf and hearing aids don't help her and the closed captioning is extremely helpful to her.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 08:58 AM  
Dontmindthemess

Just wanted to add that my dad (who has pretty bad hearing loss) just got TV ears. His audiologist recommended them. They were about $75 on amazon. He now can watch TV without turning the volume up to 100.

The cost of hearing aids is disgraceful, especially for something that is so necessary. Quality of life really suffers for those who have hearing issues. I second the VA route if you can.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 09:54 AM  
dnna

my son is hearing impaired ( deaf) and I had to take out a second mortgage to get him high quality hearing aids. I just received from blue Cross this program called TruHearing (1-844-211-1717. you have to go to their provider and pay for the test, but the hearing aids are super discounted. I have medicare/ supplemental blue cross but I can add up to 4 people in my family to use the service. which I am going to do. the hearing aids I bought my son for 4K are under 2K . also interested in the Costco deal!
if you don't have BC, you could call and see what other insurance they cover. or if someone in your family has BC. The provider they have in my area is a 5 Star rated person on all the sites-yelp, etc.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote