Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-15, 09:40 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
The life-changing magic of tidying up : the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing by Marie Kondo
Forgot about that one, but I did read it in 2014.
For what it's worth my laundry situation is still in good shape because I'm following her advice on how to organize things. Never did the big cleanout she advises.
Old 12-03-15, 09:45 AM  
Sollamyn

Cool

I don't get much reading done these days, but I have been making a conscious effort to do more of it this year. I, however, do not read what I do not like, so--if something doesn't 'speak' to me within the first couple of chapters, it goes to Goodwill (or wherever) and I forget about it.

What I liked:
The Eight Human Talents by Gurmukh. I've had this book for many years but I never read it until this year. I found it very interesting and even took notes. Now, to put them into practice is another story!

The Roundhouse by Louise Erdrich. Wonderful! I love Louise Erdrich.

I will have to check out the Jane Smiley trilogy. I love her, too! I read her biography of Charles Dickens last month. It wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but I learned a lot and it was well written, in my opinion.

Donna
Old 12-03-15, 09:50 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Gosh, I need to get back on Goodreads to keep better track of what I read.

I didn't have any real duds - but, although I liked the writing style of Empire Falls by Richard Russo, I just couldn't finish the book. It didn't "grab" me at all and I gave up before finishing it. Oh, I also didn't like Angels by Marian Keyes - couldn't finish it either.

Hits for me were:

Station Eleven
All the Light We Cannot See
The Nightingale

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now!

I have also enjoyed the Inspector Gamache mystery series - I'm up to (and currently reading) A Rule Against Murder - they are so well done!

Take care -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 10:40 AM  
Exercise Diva

Love this thread!

Best:

All The Light We Cannot See
Zoli
Let The Great World Spin
The Paris Architect (great story but didn't love the ending)

I wouldn't say worst but didn't love it...

Rabbit, Run
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:00 AM  
leigh1673

I really enjoyed The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. Not quite as much as her The Forgotten Garden, but still very good.

I also enjoyed the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch.

And I know some people don't like it, but I really liked The Girl on the Train. Yes, the narrator was frustrating at times - ok a lot of times - but the story pulled me in and hooked me from start to finish.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:14 AM  
LoveVA

I loved the Wayward Pines trilogy. That was among my best reads of the year.

Another one I liked this year was The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter. It was written as a sequel to HG Wells' The Time Machine.

I think my favorite so far is The Back to Normal Series by Randy McWilson. It's a 4-part trilogy about time travel: 1) Paradigm Rift 2) Tradecraft 3) Proximity (just released) 4) Crossover (final book in series, not yet released).

My other favorite was 14 by Peter Clines.

My book tastes are pretty simple: Science Fiction (mainly time travel), Nonfiction, Mystery/Thriller, Nutrition. That's it.

I go back and forth on getting the The Girl on the Train. Maybe I will get it.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:29 AM  
susand

Hi Fran, great thread!
not sure if it was 'the best' but I enjoyed the Stephen king detective story, Mr. Mercedes. the worst was Gone Girl for me too. ugh. that one left me feeling awful.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:29 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
I really enjoyed The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. Not quite as much as her The Forgotten Garden, but still very good.

I also enjoyed the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch.

And I know some people don't like it, but I really liked The Girl on the Train. Yes, the narrator was frustrating at times - ok a lot of times - but the story pulled me in and hooked me from start to finish.
Oh, I forgot about Girl on the Train - it was a thumbs up from me - it definitely held my attention and kept me reading. I love Kate Morton's books, I am not sure if I ever read The Forgotten Garden, though. I do have her latest on hold for myself at the library.

I started reading Wayward Pines, but then watched the series, and I couldn't read it in any more. That often happens to me. I should know better....90% of the time, I'd rather read it than watch it!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:34 AM  
Tugger31

Since I have a high stress job, when I read I like something good, but light hearted. I'm loving the Fox and O'Hare series by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. I'm on book 4 now and they get better with each book!

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-OHare-4-Bo...d+ohare+series
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:36 AM  
lrb04

Hi back Susan!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote