Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-16, 10:50 AM  
MARIKA

Amazon Prime questions

I know you get free shipping when you sign up but how does the streaming work? Do I need to buy something? Is it worth it?
Old 10-07-16, 12:37 PM  
dbclark44

No, you don't have to buy anything, just have a decent internet connection. You also get free music streaming too and Amazon has a lot of free music. They also have workout videos which I haven't tried yet because it looked like a lot of yoga which I'm not crazy about. But yes, imo, it is worth it. I also think recently they collaborated with Audible and have some audible books included with your membership.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 12:39 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
I know you get free shipping when you sign up but how does the streaming work? Do I need to buy something? Is it worth it?
You just need to download the Amazon Video app, and you can watch anything that is marked "Prime." If you buy a movie from Amazon, you can watch those too.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 01:14 PM  
BigBadBetty

You don't need to buy anything. However, not all of their streaming videos are free. Only the ones marked with Prime. You do need some way to get the video on your TV. Most new TVs have the app built right into the TV. However, you can use a gaming console (Playstation/Xbox), a Amazon fire device or just hook up your computer with HDMI if your TV isn't "smart".

I use it occasionally. I like the interface of Netflix better. However, some things are only available on Amazon. When my boyfriend's internet was incredibility slow (1 mbps), Amazon wouldn't work well enough. I use the music streaming at work.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 02:41 PM  
antbuko

I use a Roku to stream Amazon to my TV. Roku has hundreds of apps, including Netflix, Hulu, Cathe, etc.
Old 10-07-16, 05:52 PM  
nevertoolate

Now includes Prime Reading

I just got an email from Amazon telling about their new benefit for Prime membership. It now includes Prime Reading, a selection of books and magazines that can be read on your phone, tablet, or Kindle for free. I haven't browsed the books yet, but they've got a lot of magazines I'd be interested in reading. And as dbclark44 mentioned, they now have some free Audible offerings as well.

I'm really happy with Prime. I resisted joining for a long time, because I thought we didn't need it for the free, 2-day shipping. I would just wait until I had enough to qualify for the free (albeit longer) shipping. But now they are adding so many new things. They've got some great stuff on video and I LOVE the music streaming. So now it's like, "oh yeah, and I get free 2-day (sometime 1-day) shipping, too."

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 10:58 PM  
nschultz

I've been streaming Prime for 2 years using Amazon fire stick. I bought it (the fire stick) before Christmas for only $20. Not only do I love the 2 day shipping, but the movie and tv streaming is good and the music is fantastic. I really feel like the membership is worth it.
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 11:46 PM  
Betty Boop

I watch my Amazon movies on my computer with no problems. I didn't have to download anything.
Old 10-08-16, 09:10 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
That free 2 day shipping thing becomes addictive. I find myself ordering all the time instead of running out to the store. I don't think I could live without it now. As soon as the printer runs out of ink . . . order on Amazon. As soon as my daughter needs a new cello book . . . order on Amazon. Sometimes I order things separately several times a day. Usually Amazon figures it out and they all come together. Sometimes I get next day shipping. I have even gotten same day shipping a couple of time (for free !!). I can't wait for the drone thing to become a mainstream reality. I may never have to run another errand again.

I stream prime on my iphone all the time. You can also download using wifi and then watch later when you don't have access (like on a plane). I can't do that with Netflix (well maybe I can but I haven't figured out how).
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-16, 09:18 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
I watch my Amazon movies on my computer with no problems. I didn't have to download anything.
The cool thing is..... they do let you download some stuff -- nice if you're going to be traveling and want to watch without wifi. I don't know if they allow any movies to be downloaded for free but I definitely remember downloading episodes of Downton and the Good Wife -- maybe some other things as well.

ETA: Not awake here yet -- I realized after posting that you meant any app to allow you to watch. But, what I said is still true -- I love that they let you download some stuff.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon prime