Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-15, 11:22 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Strong - sequel to NROL for Women book

I bought the Kindle version yesterday, read most of it and did the first workout. The first stage (of 9 total) is very similar to NROL for Life, except that they omitted the power exercises and the sets are 12 reps instead of 15. Except for the last 3 stages, every workout ends with an interval session. The workout took about 40 minutes from the beginning of RAMP to the end of the intervals, and I finished up with an hour of walking on the treadmill while watching Nashville.

The non-workout part of the book is a good, motivating read. You don't have to have read or done NROLW as a prerequisite, but they do address a lot of snags from the first book, like a thorough explanation of the workout layouts, an appendix guide for beginner lifters, and admitting their mistakes. (You DON'T have to eat breakfast if you really don't want to!) The weight loss chapter is a real wake up call. Money quote: "Perhaps the greatest fraud ever perpetrated on American women took root in the early 20th century. It was the idea that no one should gain weight throughout life."

Any other thoughts on this book?

ETA: link so you can support VF! Strong

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 11:33 AM  
GeekyGirl

I got my preordered copy Tuesday & just skimmed through it, but I also think that the weight loss chapter is excellent. It will be a good read to really dive into when I have more time. I like the looks of the workouts too & appreciated the appendix on workout equipment.
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 12:07 PM  
Chomper

Thanks for the info. Sounds great! I haven't read the earlier ones, so it's probably time I checked them out.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 12:13 PM  
BamaTanya

Just put it on hold at my library. Thanks for telling us about this new edition!
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 12:46 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Thanks for the info. Sounds great! I haven't read the earlier ones, so it's probably time I checked them out.
Abs and Life are my favorites. I didn't read the first NROL and I thought Supercharged was overly complicated.

As for NROLW, frankly, anyone considering it should get Strong instead. A lot of it is telling women to pick up heavier weights - for you, it would be preaching to the choir Strong also has a much better designed program, much better and up to date nutrition info, better for beginners as well as advanced, really it's an improvement over NROLW in every way.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 01:05 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Abs and Life are my favorites. I didn't read the first NROL and I thought Supercharged was overly complicated.

As for NROLW, frankly, anyone considering it should get Strong instead. A lot of it is telling women to pick up heavier weights - for you, it would be preaching to the choir Strong also has a much better designed program, much better and up to date nutrition info, better for beginners as well as advanced, really it's an improvement over NROLW in every way.
If I don't plan on doing the workouts is it worthwhile to get?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 01:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I agree that Supercharged was overly complicated. I returned it.

I'm not big on doing intervals after a weight workout. I tried it doing D2S and found I was totally exhausted for the rest of the day. Also a huge dread factor kicked in. I'm not claiming that it's not effective, but it's just not for me at this point in my life.

I also fell in love with LM Pump workouts after I got them from a generous VFer. Can't seem to get enough of them. I am certainly curious about the book, and will probably buy it before too long.

Thanks Sue and Geeky Girl for the info.
Old 11-12-15, 01:13 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post

Thanks! I just bought it for kindle. Will enjoy reading through it tonight.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 05:42 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'll be reading it over the next few days. I have skimmed through all the pages though; couldn't resist flipping thru!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 09:16 PM  
buffmama

I think a lot of their earlier books worked best at a gym. Is that the case with this one also? TIA.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alwyn cosgrove, lou schuler, nrol for women, strong book