Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-15, 09:49 PM  
MARIKA

Varicose veins?

What cause them? Heavy lifting? I noticed a litte bump on the side of my calf ow theres 2 more. I think they are veins?? Should I be worried?
Old 02-03-15, 10:44 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

It's mostly genetic IMO. For instance, I've spent most of my adult life on my feet as a nurse. I don't have varicose veins, nor do my mom or sister, nor did my grandmothers as far as I know. I know folks who've spent far less time on their feet who have terrible varicose veins. But everybody has a little bulge here and there.

No point in worrying unless they begin causing pain and/or swelling in your legs, or are very visible and bulging. There are minimally invasive methods of treating varicose veins in legs but it doesn't sound like you are nearly there yet.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 06:27 AM  
Demeris

They are, quite often, genetic/congenital. I would encourage you to ask your doctor about all the health markers for your connective tissue.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 07:40 AM  
bubbles76

Does using ankle weights cause varicose veins? With all the Firm work I'm doing, I often feel like I'm cheating myself if i don't use the ankle weights, but I do NOT want varicose veins.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 09:10 AM  
JulieIL

Another vote for genetics. Unfortunately, I have had spider veins since my early 20s, despite being in good shape/not overweight, & otherwise very healthy. I have had vein injections, but despite wearing support hose, they come back.

Bubbles, interesting question regarding the ankle weights: the women that I know who have used ankle weights don't have any vein issues (even those who have had children or are over 30), but that is obviously a limited sample, so who knows?
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 10:30 AM  
keb's mom

I've not heard that ankle weights cause varicose veins?
keb's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 12:15 PM  
videofit

My mother had legs like Google Maps so I always knew I'd get spider and varicose veins. Every few years I spend a few hundred bucks to get them removed via schlerotherapy. I am thinking of doing it again soon so I can wear skirts in the summer instead of pants. I look at it as body maintenance.
Old 02-04-15, 12:25 PM  
MARIKA

Thanks guys, I wonder about ankle weights, I just started using them again and this happened. I never heard that before? Wonder if theres truth to it

videovit- LOL about google maps!
Old 02-04-15, 02:16 PM  
PrairieGem

I've actually read that sitting for long periods can cause/aggravate them. Anything that increases the pressure on the veins, or impacts blood flow to the area (like pregnancy) can make them worse. Exercise, which keeps the blood circulating properly, can help.

Mayo Clinic article on varicose & spider veins
Old 02-04-15, 06:42 PM  
Cafelattee

I've always ran/walked worked out since high school and in my 40's. My mom has had horrible large ugly veins my whole life. THink worse looking she has them. She said they came up when she was pregnant with my at age 20 where she walk 7 block to work and back plus 8 hours of shift work on her feet. She has also stayed over weight her whole life which had continued to produce more.

SO seeing hers and being a nurse wore TED (surgical hoes) during my pregnancy during work hours (12 hr shifts and 8 month pregnant) major leg swelling without the hoes) I never sit with my legs crossed. I think that the veins are a product of poor circulation. I'm almost 45 and so far no bad veins.

I have the genetics for them but have tried to be preventive.
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote