Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-14, 12:59 PM  
firmaholic

Need Recommendations on Gym Weight Workouts

Hi guys,

I need your advice, wisdom and knowledge again. My son in his efforts to help me recuperate from my broken toe and loose the 6 lbs that I have gained, bought me a three months membership to the gym... Now I am not much of a gym person and their classes are just ok, but I can definitely do them a couple of times a week. I would like to give gym workouts (machines and free weights) a try, but don't know much or rather anything about it. My son's workouts are all about muscle building and gaining weight/strength. I had a complimentary session with a trainer, but it left me cold and their prices for private training are not in my budget.

Can you recommend some paper or downloadable workouts that I can have either on paper or to upload on my phone that I could do myself. The ones that would work with the gym equipment.

TIA,
Julia
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 01:34 PM  
jusca

There are so many options for paper gym workouts that I don't know where to start for a recommendation. Right now, I'm using the Men's Health "Abs Diet" strength circuit rotation. Despite what the name suggests, it's not a diet. It's an acronym.

Some other possibilities:

Bodybuilding.com fat loss routines
Venus Factor
Athlean-X
New Rules of Lifting
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 01:37 PM  
firmaholic

Thanks for the recommendations.
Are these downloadable onto a phone or do I need to print them out?
Old 10-10-14, 01:38 PM  
jusca

You can download all the pdfs to your phone or print them out.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 03:39 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have the book New Rules of Lifting for Women that you can have for postage. The binding is falling apart, but the pages are all there. This might be better because you could take the pages you desire to the gym with you. PM me if interested.
Old 10-10-14, 07:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

hope you recover soon!

do you have any weight training videos, like from Cathe or any others?

if so, take those moves and do them in the gym:

this one time, i recorded the audio from The Firm Tough Tape #1 to a walkman cassette (this was pre-MP3 days....) and played it while doing the routine in the Disneyland hotel fitness room.

another time, i wrote down all of the moves in a composition book for P90x Legs and Back (it took up 1 page), and wrote down the poundage i was using on the same sheet. i did that workout in a Maui hotel fitness room.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 10:57 PM  
ncl

When I go to the gym, I like to use the iTrain workouts, especially the cardio ones (though they have mixed and weight training, too) as well as the cardio coach workouts. Sometimes I also do the Jillian program that she had in her book about losing the last 10lbs. It is called Making the Cut.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-14, 12:00 AM  
firmaholic

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate them.
Old 10-11-14, 10:02 AM  
Kyra

Be careful what you wish for... Muscle and strength has a ton of paper workouts, all free for the taking. Despite the name, it has a pretty good variety of workouts (sport specific, fat loss, etc.). I've used and enjoyed a couple of programs from there.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote