Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-14, 03:27 PM  
PrairieGem

Help! Stiff knee

Can you believe there are NO threads on VF tagged with stiffness? We must be a pretty supple bunch here!

A few weeks ago, my right knee felt a little sore after a run. I took it easy, wore a knee brace for a couple of days, and have been OK since then, except... that knee is still very stiff. I'm not sure what's going on. It's stiffer than the ankle I sprained 5 weeks ago. My current rotation is running three times a week (slowly, short distances; about 2.5 miles in ~30 minutes. I am getting mildly faster and running farther, but only at a glacial pace--and I've done high impact cardio forever, so I don't think I'm overdoing it.). I alternate the running with Classical Stretch and a tiny amount of yoga (Barbara Benagh, short practices) 2 or 3 times/week. The stiffness is especially when first getting up (from sitting at my desk, etc), and when I get up and down from the floor, kneeling, etc. I just turned 40 and have no history of arthritis or injuries in that joint (although on that side, I do have a wonky hip--chronic bursitis--and an old, old ankle injury that doesn't bother me but may affect my gait), so... any thoughts?

I will say, oddly, that I seem to be stiffer, overall, on days I do the CS. Not immediately afterward--then I feel nicely loosened up--but a few hours later (knees, hips, ankles, back, etc). I've been trying to tell myself that this is impossible--it's Classical Stretch, for pity's sake--but maybe Miranda is just not for me? I wanted my current rotation to really focus on alignment and flexibility (I have a desk job and worry that it will start to take its toll on my body), and I feel like I am going completely backward.

(Sorry--that kind of turned into a pity party! LOL)
Old 08-05-14, 03:56 PM  
sunday

Well, I think I am an anomaly on VF, but CS totally destroyed my body. I did three months of it, six days a week and have never been in such pain as I was at the end of it. I had hip, back and knee pain and could hardly move. It took three months to recover; I couldn't even sit in child's pose. My massage therapist had even wondered what the HECK I had done to myself! I had huge knots in my glutes, which had never happened before, my knees were swollen from the side lunges, I had a strained hip and my back was killing me. So much for it being therapeutic! And I was only doing one or two episodes a day, or one Essentrics dvd.

But as I said, I think I am an anomaly with it.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 03:58 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and they can get pretty stiff from time to time. Here's what works for me and I realize your results may vary.

Weather
My knees are the best indicator of weather and barometric pressure. Higher the pressure, the more stiff I am. You may need to adjust your workout for the days you feel a lot of pressure.

Medicated Balms
Rubbing a heating balm around the knee can help with that feeling of stiffness. I personally use Tiger Balm but be warned it feels really hot! Icy Hot, Mentholatum or something similar are all readily available. A friend of mine swears by Aspercreme.

Athletic Stretching
Stretching the IT band, hamstrings, glutes, quads & hip flexors helps with knee stiffness as all these exert some influence on the movement of the knee.

Brace with caution
Knee braces are great at providing support but don't allow for full range of motion and create imbalance between the knees. After coming off a brace it's not uncommon for there to be stiffness and discomfort until things get sorted out.

Don't dismiss it
If you try the above and you continue to have stiffness, get it checked out. It's kind of shocking how easy it is to incur a minor injury. Changes in your knee could be an indication of injury that should not be taken lightly. Give it a few weeks and don't be afraid to get it looked at.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 08:16 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I like this article for a general overview of the knee:

http://thecorematrix.wordpress.com/2...bout-the-knee/

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 09:26 AM  
SueT

Alta, that was a great article, and the links provided were excellent, too!

Thanks for posting this. I'm obsessed with getting my knees back to normal after knee surgery, and keeping them strong!

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 09:41 AM  
horsemom2

Arnica gel helps my knees

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 12:43 PM  
cfwb

When I injured my knee last summer, I had quite a bit of residual stiffness (lasting months), which made getting down (sitting, gardening, picking up something on the floor, reaching for the bottom shelf at the grocery) very difficult. What helped were all those "knee strengthening" exercises out there, such as those on the Strong Knees DVD.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 01:31 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I have to say, I feel like I get stiffer (knees and hips mostly) if I DON'T run, or at least walk. I run 3x a week and am currently doing Ultimate Yogi, but even if I'm doing traditional workouts, I really need to move for my joints to remain mobile. Do you run every other day? I do need that amount of time to recover, personally, but again, I have to keep moving.

I'd say for now, try ice and possibly foam rolling (rolling my quads helps with tight knees) and see what happens.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 02:16 PM  
horsemom2

I also need to move to heal or alleviate stiffness.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 04:39 PM  
Bluebelle

Maybe a heating pad might help with the stiffness? I usually ice my knees but that helps more with pain. Hope you feel better soon.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knees, stiff knee, stiffness