Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-22, 10:19 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I have used something like this and it works pretty well. Not sure how many dvds you have or what your residual closet space is like.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Hangi...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Wow, that must have more structure than the one I have (not sure where I bought it years ago) bc mine bows down just holding yarn.

I have an assortment of storage for my workouts. I have 2 DVD cabinets, a large bookshelf, more shelves on the wall, and 3 huge 4/page/side wallet things for the DVDs that came in cardboard sleeves and such. I don't love the big wallet things but they do save a lot of space. Thankfully I have room that I don't have to use them for everything. I leave all DVDs in their original cases with covers if the cases are plastic. I'm also fortunate that all the shelves and cabinets are in rooms adjacent to my gym and not in the gym itself. I have too much equipment for the room so floor space is limited as it is.

Do you possibly have a nearby room where your DVDs could be stored?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 01:07 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Haven't had scratching problems using sleevess, but I am very careful (my precious!) when removing/replacing, BUT have ALL of them backed up as an .iso file on computer, so can reburn replacements if anything happens.

ISO files retain the full functionality of the original DVD (sound options, chapter, menus, premixes, ...) not JUST the video content, like ripping to MP4 would do.
Like Helen, I also have not had scratching problems using sleeves. Perhaps the surfaces may be less pristine in some cases but I had more issues in the past with certain frequently used discs getting little cracks around the spindle area taking them in and out of the dvd case on a regular basis, depending on the dvd case design and how easy it was to pop the dvd out.

I must be twinsies with Helen because I also have ALL of my dvds backed up as .iso files on an external hard drive (the drive is also backed up to an online storage service called backblaze). I would likely only use the .iso file to recreate a dvd though if the original DVD went out-of-print and I couldn't buy an original secondhand.

I'm a bit relieved in fact that I'm not the only one who keeps .iso backups.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 01:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

one thing i'm concerned about storing in plastic sleeves - i once came across a small container of CDs that were stored in individual "fabric" sleeves of the same size. the part that the media touches was soft.

this plastic sleeve deteriorated to the point of crumbling into small flakes. as such, i would buy high quality ones going forward. i've been using Case Logic sleeves nowadays, and so far, no crumbling.

for my large "sets" (like P90x with 13 discs), i bought ones designed to fit audio CDs from a used book sale at the library. i pick the ones that have fabric sleeves, and make sure the case that houses the sleeves have "gentle" edges that avoid "biting" the discs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 01:19 PM  
bubbles76

For those that use the wallets and don't have scratching issues, which wallets do you use? I'm thinking of going that route, as I really need to clear up space and need a way to easily go through my collection when searching for what workout to do that day.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 07:07 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice View Post
Hi Helen
I am thinking of ripping my dvds but can't decide on what software to use for a Windows laptop - one that still has a dvd drive!
Thank you for your input!

Janice
If you want to maintain the full functionality of the DVD, in Windows, I use 'DVD Shrink' but with a caveat that both my version of it & the laptop it's on are old - Windows 7 and free DVD Shrink v3.2. Saves as an .iso file. Just 'ripping' the video files off is NOT the same thing as making a copy of the DVD to file that you could then burn to replace the original disc.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 07:14 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I must be twinsies with Helen because I also have ALL of my dvds backed up as .iso files on an external hard drive (the drive is also backed up to an online storage service called backblaze). I would likely only use the .iso file to recreate a dvd though if the original DVD went out-of-print and I couldn't buy an original secondhand.

I'm a bit relieved in fact that I'm not the only one who keeps .iso backups.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-28-22, 09:36 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

FWIW, I think I use the the free version of burnaware to make my .iso files. I have a PC with Windows 10. It's an old version of burnaware. I've never done any upgrades of it since first installing it years ago.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-22, 10:13 PM  
Helen

I did NOT have my iso files backed up anywhere - have just the one copy, as I regard them AS the backup to the discs; but if a HDD dies & a disc needs replacing - I'm stuffed.
So today, I went & bought a new 2TB HDD to have a backup of my oldest one (from 2016) - and shall update/replace them once/year rotating through all four from now on. Thanks for the safety kick adawn.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-30-22, 02:39 PM  
kat999

Update: I decided to get creative with my existing storage dresser, cleaned it out of all the non-workout junk in two of the drawers, and then that made it so I could get two rows of tapes/DVDs in one drawer. I then examined my collection, purged it of ten workouts that I dread, I put those in my closet, and now suddenly I have EXTRA ROOM! Maybe sometimes it is just about brainstorming and thinking through different ideas until something obvious clicks.
Old 01-30-22, 04:47 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
... Maybe sometimes it is just about brainstorming and thinking through different ideas until something obvious clicks.
This is kind of what I discovered too. Seeing my stuff from a new perspective helped me get a handle on it.

Tags
large collection, storage