Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-22, 07:51 AM  
kat999

Storage solution ideas?

I have a dedicated workout room/home gym (it's a spare bedroom). I keep my VHS and DVDs in a big dresser, on the top of which I have my TV/VCR combo and my DVD player. My collection has outgrown the dresser, and I now have a set of titles on the floor, which is not ideal as it gets in the way of equipment and things. The closet in this bedroom is not functional for storage space, as the door is persnickety and we already use it to store formal wear that doesn't fit in our main bedroom closet.

I've looked on Amazon for some small DVD storage units, but anything affordable has a bad rating, looks flimsy, and I worried about things getting jostled around just from the fact that the room sees a lot of motion. Like, I have this image of jumping around too close to the unit and the whole thing collapsing.

The room is awkwardly-shaped, with multiple wall bump-outs to accommodate a fireplace and the closet, and I have to share the space with a cat litter box and cat trees, plus two floor-to-ceiling windows means there isn't much usable wall space already. I could always put a DVD storage unit in a different room, but there is still something of a premium on both wall and floor space in this house.

Our walls are plaster, so installing shelving on the wall itself presents some challenges as well, and there's still the problem of jumping around and causing things to jostle/fall over, etc.

I really want to get this room in more functional shape. There probably is room to put a smaller dresser with drawers in it somewhere, and if I really had to I could take the closet doors off and convert that entire space into media storage. I could also purge my collection down to what will actually fit in my current storage area (this presents me with some anxiety ).

Anybody have creative solutions or something that works really well for them? I guess another option would be one of those big folders with sleeves in them and just store the cases in my attic or something.

Tags
large collection, storage