Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-21, 12:33 PM  
DBW

Should I keep the Firm Zip Trainer?

I am trying to declutter...Firm Zip trainer set was an impulse buy, and I've only used it a few times. The zip, unzip, zip in the middle of some of the workouts is a little annoying. Decided I should try some more of the workouts before deciding to get rid of it. Anyone still use this or want to give me permission to get rid of it, lol
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 01:22 PM  
anetta

Downsize-you can always rebuy it later

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 01:36 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

It doesn't sound like you will miss it if it's not there.

I should use this idea for my own decluttering!
Old 11-13-21, 01:53 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I still have mine. You can't always buy discontinued merch later. I always loved Sara Ryba's nutrition column and the recipes & menus that came with the sets. This was the last Firm and truth to tell, I bought it for the food.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 04:02 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I don't purge anymore, I always regret and most times reacquire. I did get rid of my stability ball and never looked back.
Old 11-13-21, 05:26 PM  
DBW

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cynthia, I'll have to take a look at the Nutrition Guide, thanks for pointing that out!
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 05:52 PM  
Mickey12

So this thread just made me buy a zip trainer set. I also got the add-on DVD.
Old 11-13-21, 08:01 PM  
kat999

Okay, so on the one hand decluttering is great, but on the other I did finally get the Zip trainer last year and am so glad I did because I use the unit itself and its weighted ball in a lot more workouts than I thought I would, not just the prescribed set (I got the add-ons, too, and I like those better than the default workouts).

So, here's how I use the equipment for other workouts:

- I use the weighted ball for any workout that prescribes a medicine ball with aerobics, because I like that this ball is a good weight without being too big and bulky. I have a more traditional 5-lb. medicine ball, but I have small hands, and it's huge. I'd much rather use the yellow Zip ball, which is basically softball sized, because even though it's slightly lighter, it's still heavier than some other weighted balls I have, so it augments that nicely.

- I use the Zip trainer in the unzipped "domes" position when doing specific workouts from Jillian Michaels Body Revolution; she prescribes suicides where you're going up and down to the knees with dumbbells held statically overhead, and I find that coming down to my knees on the padded domes is A LOT friendlier only my fortysomething body than coming all the way to the floor.

- I use the Zip trainer in the zipped up ball position in lieu of the Fanny Lifter for FIRM workouts where they have you drape yourself over the FL in table position for weighted leg work (I've also used it for old Jane Fondas where she has you do "Rover's revenge" and donkey kicks). I find that lying over the FL in tabletop hurts my ribcage, but the Zip trainer is roughly the same size but nicely padded, so it's a much more forgiving surface.

- I've also used it for Tracie Long workouts where she has you tossing a yoga ball in the air; by using the Zip instead, you're working with a weighted object that is still almost the same size but slightly smaller, so while it's more challenging due to the weight it's a little easier in a different way due to the diameter.

Not trying to be an enabler, just saying that I get a lot more use out of this set than just from its default purpose. Similarly, I use the Wave step in the "rainbow" or arch position for TransFIRMer workouts, because I don't have one and the Wave works great as a substitute by also combining a regular mini aerobic step and the Fanny Lifter, depending on what the move is.
Old 11-13-21, 08:23 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I got rid of mine - twice!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 10:25 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Okay, so on the one hand decluttering is great, but on the other I did finally get the Zip trainer last year and am so glad I did because I use the unit itself and its weighted ball in a lot more workouts than I thought I would, not just the prescribed set (I got the add-ons, too, and I like those better than the default workouts).

So, here's how I use the equipment for other workouts:

- I use the weighted ball for any workout that prescribes a medicine ball with aerobics, because I like that this ball is a good weight without being too big and bulky. I have a more traditional 5-lb. medicine ball, but I have small hands, and it's huge. I'd much rather use the yellow Zip ball, which is basically softball sized, because even though it's slightly lighter, it's still heavier than some other weighted balls I have, so it augments that nicely.

- I use the Zip trainer in the unzipped "domes" position when doing specific workouts from Jillian Michaels Body Revolution; she prescribes suicides where you're going up and down to the knees with dumbbells held statically overhead, and I find that coming down to my knees on the padded domes is A LOT friendlier only my fortysomething body than coming all the way to the floor.

- I use the Zip trainer in the zipped up ball position in lieu of the Fanny Lifter for FIRM workouts where they have you drape yourself over the FL in table position for weighted leg work (I've also used it for old Jane Fondas where she has you do "Rover's revenge" and donkey kicks). I find that lying over the FL in tabletop hurts my ribcage, but the Zip trainer is roughly the same size but nicely padded, so it's a much more forgiving surface.

- I've also used it for Tracie Long workouts where she has you tossing a yoga ball in the air; by using the Zip instead, you're working with a weighted object that is still almost the same size but slightly smaller, so while it's more challenging due to the weight it's a little easier in a different way due to the diameter.

Not trying to be an enabler, just saying that I get a lot more use out of this set than just from its default purpose. Similarly, I use the Wave step in the "rainbow" or arch position for TransFIRMer workouts, because I don't have one and the Wave works great as a substitute by also combining a regular mini aerobic step and the Fanny Lifter, depending on what the move is.
Thanks for the great tips! I recently used mine for the first time!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm zip trainer, firm ziptrainer, zip trainer