Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-20, 07:23 PM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I did this a few years ago and I’m now sorry I did. I’ve been reacquiring a lot of them lately. I like having a big variety to choose from.
Exactly!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 07:26 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
The thing is they aren't worth much... So I'm keeping them.
That's my thought and right now I have plenty of space to keep them, so I keep them. Some day in the not too distant future, we'll be downsizing our living arrangement and then I will shrink it down a whole lot.
Old 12-17-20, 07:50 PM  
Leonana

I'm a declutterer, always taking something to Goodwill. So, I have decluttered my dvd's more than once. However, I've never had a big collection, at least for VF. I have about 35, and would have about 70 if I had never got rid of any of them. So far, I haven’t had any regrets. Well, except for one KCM, I should have kept that one!

However, now that dvds are showing up at Goodwill frequently, I've started adding more to the collection.
Old 12-17-20, 08:20 PM  
bfit

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from decluttering. I'm a big declutterer myself. But, I've winnowed down my DVDs several times getting rid of things I don't like or haven't used for a long time or workouts that are too hard or too easy. Then I find myself acquiring them again later because I've changed my mind about them. In hindsight, it would have been better just to store the ones I wasn't using in some boxes or something than to get rid of them entirely.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 08:43 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I did a huge purge around this time last year, haven’t looked back. I still have quite a few dvds, but don’t use them often. I was doing a lot of traveling so I went to downloads & streaming. I’m staying at home now of course, but still rarely use dvds. Another reason I started buying downloads instead of dvds is expensive shipping costs as I live in Canada.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 09:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

Denise,
I suggest you try the old trick I did with my children. I boxed up and hid toys so that they were out of sight. If they never missed them, then out the door they went. But if they suddenly missed or needed them, they would be rescued from toy purgatory.

You could try a workout purgatory initially and see how that feels?

(I am constantly purging workouts using this method and it works great for me.)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 09:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Denise,
I suggest you try the old trick I did with my children. I boxed up and hid toys so that they were out of sight. If they never missed them, then out the door they went. But if they suddenly missed or needed them, they would be rescued from toy purgatory.

You could try a workout purgatory initially and see how that feels?

(I am constantly purging workouts using this method and it works great for me.)
That’s a great idea Linda!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 09:40 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I did this a few years ago and I’m now sorry I did. I’ve been reacquiring a lot of them lately. I like having a big variety to choose from.
Totally! Unless they are just awful or you don’t have the space and need to pare down, I’d keep them. I’ve regretted getting rid of workouts so many times that I just keep the batch I have currently ....I think I’m up to 1200 or so now, but I do have the storage space for them.
Old 12-17-20, 09:45 PM  
anetta

No, but I am. I am only going to keep my CS, Qigong and Jane Adams.

I am ready to purge the rest, even my Firms and the spinoffs and equipment (which I never thought I would never do)

Going to start on this after the first of the year.

And on another unrelated notes, my clothes

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 12:14 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
That’s a great idea Linda!
Thanks, Pam

A few other suggestions that I have picked up along the way from other VFers that helped me to enjoy my collection :

1) organize your collection.
So many ways to do it, but it needs to be in a way that's useful to you. Mine is organized by three main categories: (Strength/cardio/pilates,yoga,stretch.)
They have subcategories, and are separated into trainers.
Ex. Strength has upper, lower, total body, abs.

2) Establish a dedicated, defined area.
Easier to do once you have organized. I use one bookcase. Previously, it was in different areas (still separated by categories) when I had to use the living room. Basically, I don't want my workouts to take up my exercise area.

3) Set fitness goals.
Once you have an idea what you want to focus on, you can look at your collection and see if it fits with those goals. These don't have to be lofty and can be small, measurable markers of improvement in some functional activity. I don't like aesthetic goals personally.

4) create a plan or rotation to meet the goals. This is where you shop your collection and then can create a subset of workouts to concentrate on for a month or so. You don't have to worry about your entire collection and you don't have to make the rotation very long...it can be two weeks.

5) keep a record of the workouts you use and your feelings about the workout.
Ok I just have index cards in the cases and I have a rudimentary ranking. (Yuck/Meh/ok/ good/one /2, etc)
But I hear others have spreadsheets ..maybe one day I'll get there. But find a way to log the use and your thoughts. This will help you later decide when you decide to purge. In my case, 'yuck' are gone right away, 'mehs' and 'ok' go to purgatory.

6) have fun with the rotations because they are meant to help you enjoy your collection.
Ok, so this is where I give myself freedom from the goals and rotations and do a week at any time with random workouts that are fun or rehab in nature. I have also done a month of as many new to me workouts as possible.

7) evaluate your progress
You decide how often you do this. I like to do so this after I finish a rotation. This is where recording your thoughts helps so much! Is what you're using working? Enjoyable? How did your body feel? This is another chance to purge.

8) celebrate your victories.
No matter how small. Hopefully you picked some goals that are easy to measure success. I can always find something to celebrate if I concentrate on non-aesthetic goals. I think taking time to celebrate is SUPER important and I don't think we can ever do this enough.

Hope there is something there that can help you as you evaluate your collection.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, dvd collection, dvd inventory, large collection, minimizing, purging, purging dvds, sellers remorse