Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-19, 11:29 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

I agree

I agree 100% ... there are MANY great choices of spin bikes out there and as I stated, I tried many of them. I just went off on my tangent because the original poster asked about Peloton. Otherwise, I try not to go on and on and on about my love of Peloton.

So important to consider ALL the spin bikes out there. (and there are MANY and MANY of them are wayyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than Peloton!!!!! and get the job done.) Make an informed decision no matter what a person chooses.

I am a lemming and enjoy the social aspect of it.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 11:49 AM  
TracyQ

I came across this comparison c/net did between Peleton and Echelon’s $1000 alternative when I was looking into spin bikes. I changed my mind about getting a spin bike though because I already have a treadmill and don’t really have the space for both and I really love my treadmill.

https://www.cnet.com/news/i-tried-ec...what-happened/

I just heard that according to Google more people searched Peleton than impeachment this week.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 01:46 PM  
Chris T.
VF Supporter

I have a Bodycraft SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurawd View Post
Just want to reiterate that there are OTHER bikes out there, such as the ICG, that give you the same information you need - including a really well-done FTP test, plus the coach-by-color zones, which I like. I like having ICG bike because I can do ANY coach's spin class on it. ... I have no connection to the company.

I like the Peloton App but I am completely turned off by cult-like fitness trends, whether it be Peloton, Crossfit, Beachbody or whatever. I get turned off by herds, so I try to tune it all out...
I don't have a Peloton, but a year ago I bought a Bodycraft SPR spin bike. It's not cheap, although cheaper than the Peloton. I really love and use LES MILLS RPM, so I wasn't wedded to Peloton. Plus, I'm an Android user, so I think when I was exploring Peloton 18-24 months ago, there were more limitations on Android usage, so it sort of knocked Peloton out for me.

The Bodycraft bike I absolutely LOVE. I'm super happy with my purchase and I would go that route again. I also don't like having my stats or personal times posted anywhere, it's why I work out from home for the past 25 years. That competition doesn't motivate me, it demotivates me. I have to compete at work in a highly male dominated environment, competing at my workout time does not interest me in the slightest.

This past weekend on Black Friday, we were at the mall and they had a new Peloton store. So we went in and tried out the bike. I hate to say it, I was *not* impressed. It felt flimsy to me, compared to my Bodycraft. I felt like the bike was going to tip over when I was standing up. Thus, even reinforcing to me I made the right decision. I do have the annual Les Mills OnDemand, but I still think that annual cost is lower than Peloton annual cost, in addition to my bike being cheaper and sturdier.

I applaud Peloton for their success and marketing. They keep the video fitness market alive with their success, the good music, etc. Their system just wasn't for me.
Chris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 01:18 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Not to butt in (which I'm about to), but hasn't there been an issue with Peloton being sued for using popular songs/music without getting proper licensing? What ever happened with that and did the Peloton workout music quality change post-copyright infringement lawsuit?

One example article:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKCN1VY2J7
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 11:37 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
Aha, thanks for clarifying :-) I think the commercial bugs me so much because the wife seems so insecure and frightened - she admits she’s nervous about using the Peloton - and yet we see her returning from work all dressed up and seemingly competent but she’s such a nervous nelly at home. And then when she shows her hubby how she has used the bike every day or whatever it changes her life????? But I once heard an advertising exec say that you are not supposed to like commercials - the goal of a commercial is to get you to remember and talk about the product. So maybe it’s killer genius
Actor Ryan Reynolds found the "Peloton Girl" from the commercial and made his own commercial. For his gin brand, LOL!

Ryan Reynolds Just Saved the Viral Peloton Girl in Hilarious Ad for Aviation Gin

https://www.eonline.com/news/1100488...r-aviation-gin

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 06:55 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Geeze ... forgot about that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Not to butt in (which I'm about to), but hasn't there been an issue with Peloton being sued for using popular songs/music without getting proper licensing? What ever happened with that and did the Peloton workout music quality change post-copyright infringement lawsuit?

One example article:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKCN1VY2J7
Yep ... there was a music issue. I actually didn't pay much mind to it. Only because from Videos I am so used to exercise music being remakes, dance style, etc. that it wasn't that big of a deal for me. And nowadays, there are soooooooooooooo many covers of songs.

As for the suing? Think big ... big (pioneer? ~ in their field and yes! I call Peloton that, with the screen, the live classes, instructors, etc. Everyone else is now hopping aboard. And literally EVERY salesperson I went to when testing spin bikes prefaced their sales pitch with, "It's just like a Peloton EXCEPT ....) ) companies that make it big, seem to take the major hits. (Can we say Walmart? ~ yes, I worked for them for years, so I saw a lot there also).

They did have ride purges. But they have had 2 or 3 since. With daily rides and many instructors, they just can't (or choose not to) save them all. and yes. I'm sure some have to do with music. They have remakes, they have originals (I think). I guess I sometimes can't tell the difference.

I do their theme rides (as above mentioned - Sing along rides, ColdPlay, Billy Joel, Pink, Christmas ones). So, I find ones I like and I stick with them. To be honest? I rarely do the same ride more than once. Not because I don't want to, but because there are so many and I literally just do not have the time. When I'm between challenges, I'm more flexible. When I'm doing Power Zone Training (think endurance). . . I am required to ride 5 rides a week (and I choose to do the extra credit every week - so 6 rides not to mention donation rides, live rides, etc.) Sooooooooooo When there's down times between challenges, I do what I call "Fun rides". The metrics aren't as important, I'm not "training" per se and I just do them.

And ..... When I get doing a Power Zone Max ride? Many times I literally do NOT hear the music - just the beat. There is enough music out there they are ALLOWED to play, that for me? It's not an issue. For others? It could be.

Then again ?? Consider the source, I still have one of Cathe's sound tracks on my cassette player, so I'm probably not the best judge of music.

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 03:27 PM  
mbcatac7

My husband just bought me a Peloton for Christmas and I am super super excited. He told me in advance because he said there is no way he will be able to hide it from me.
Old 12-09-19, 03:42 PM  
rhbrand

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I'm RBrandRN if you want to follow me!
Old 12-09-19, 04:21 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcatac7 View Post
My husband just bought me a Peloton for Christmas and I am super super excited. He told me in advance because he said there is no way he will be able to hide it from me.
Old 12-09-19, 08:43 PM  
olala

Has anyone used Affirm to purchase Peloton? Is it safe?
olala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peloton, peloton commercial, peloton girl, spin bike, spin bikes