Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-16, 07:19 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I think an important thing to address for many people looking to lose weight is... do you really need to lose weight? I'm not arguing the is-being-overweight-really-that-bad-for-you viewpoint, although I think that is something to consider. What I mean in this case is your body willing to go to that magic number at which you think you need to be? I do think a lot of people have this idea of a number they're looking to see, and in some cases, that number is simply not realistic... at least, not without possibly making yourself very unhappy in it's pursuit. I can very easily believe the set-point theory. I know my body has a range where it likes to be. I think that range has shifted up a little in recent years, but even before that, there was definitely a place where my body was happy, and it did not willingly let me take it below that!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-16, 06:10 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

What I don't like about that article and study is that they may lead people to believe that losing weight is a hopeless endeavor. What has always bothered me about The Biggest Loser is that the show focuses on pounds lost and not on body composition. The contestants lose weight as fast as they can, by whatever means that work (healthy or not), because the scale determines whether they will win.

If people lose weight more slowly and in a healthier way than The Biggest Loser, and they increase lean body mass and reduce body fat, then the metabolism will actually be better because having more lean muscle increases metabolism.

The article and study say that the contestants slowed their metabolisms, but due to the show's methods, I do not think the results are applicable beyond the test group.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-16, 06:17 PM  
Chomper

Actually, if you read the study you will see they used sophisticated methods to measure body composition as well as metabolism and they found that the show was quite successful in sparing muscle mass and the contestants lost almost all fat. I agree that the show was a horrible spectacle, but the trainers aimed for keeping muscle and losing fat and they accomplished it quite well according to the assessments the researchers carried out.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-16, 10:49 PM  
runnermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
... I especially liked her recommendation of the mindful/intuitive eating perspective. I've read several books in that area and they've been really helpful for me, anyway. Discussion about how to work with our bodies to get to enjoyable, healthy, and stable weights via sustainable eating habits are often missing from weight-loss conversations.
Do you have any books you would recommend? I've read a little about intuitive eating but I'm not wrapping my head around it. I'm hoping to find something that helps me understand it better.
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-16, 11:31 AM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnermom View Post
Do you have any books you would recommend? I've read a little about intuitive eating but I'm not wrapping my head around it. I'm hoping to find something that helps me understand it better.
So sorry, just seeing this now! I was out of town for most of the last week.
The two I got the most use out of are listed below. Both of them are basically intuitive eating books even though they have annoying weight loss marketing titles. Please don't judge them on titles or covers. These are the ones I recommend to friends or family who ask:

The Thin Woman's Brain by Dilia Suriel (please ignore the terrible, TERRIBLE cover! I bought the Kindle book partly so I wouldn't have to be ashamed of it.) Sort of takes a Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy approach to understanding that habits are like "brain ruts" (i.e. eating when bored but not hungry, etc) and how to retrain your brain. (FYI, the Kindle version seems to be really really cheap at the moment!) This is probably my favorite, but some may find it too nitty-gritty.

How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too by Josie Spinardi. Despite the "thinness" aspect in the title and all over on her website, this was the first book that truly made intuitive eating make sense to me. This is the most reader-friendly of the books, she has a relatable, more contemporary "voice", and she explains things well.

I read the original Intuitive Eating book by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch many years ago, and while I liked the idea, it didn't really click with me. (But I hear the more recent updated version is better, so I recommend you at least try a sample!) Some other books I've skimmed turned me off for other reasons: either because they tried to assert nutrition advice I didn't necessarily agree with, or the tone wasn't for me, or they struck me as still having a hidden undercurrent of restriction (like Bethany Frankel's book).

These books were also recommended on another forum I read, but I haven't read them myself yet to vouch for them or compare them:
--The Rules of "Normal" Eating (and also her accompanying workbook, The Food & Feelings Workbook)
--The Liberated Eater

ETA another thought: IE tends to suggest eating when hungry and stopping just when no longer hungry. I prefer (and I know many others who do also) to eat until a bit fuller than that, which allows me to go longer without getting hungry again and longer without thinking about food. I just wanted to emphasize that there's still room in the whole IE philosophy for customizing everything to your body and preferences!

If you have any specific questions about the books, feel free to PM me so we don't derail the thread!
Old 05-18-16, 11:14 PM  
runnermom

Thank you kalliope999! That was so helpful!
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-16, 03:30 AM  
nckfitheart

Lightbulb It is not a lost cause!

What I want those struggling with significant weight loss to know before embarking in any weight/fat loss journey is:
  • It is not a lost cause, if you set boundaries and make a plan on how you are going to maintain and keep the weight off for good.
  • Secondly it is a lifetime journey which never end so make it an enjoyable journey. I know this from a fact cause I have made my journey enjoyable. Not only I have managed to make it enjoyable, I have managed to keep myself out these horrible statistics!
  • Do not be stuck on scale number, aim for a sweet spot visual goal based on your own anatomical and skeleton structure. Do not try to be somebody else and please close those magasines!!!
  • Make the all process a TRUE lifestyle change, there is no going back to old way of eating neither is it about going back to same portions

Hope this help someone else out there!
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote