Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-16, 10:44 AM  
Chomper

I did finally do some foam rolling yesterday - after the strength workout. I like it better afterwards, I think.

My husband is a few weeks ahead of me in the program, so I get a preview of what's to come.

Rock on, ladies...
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 09:06 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I got back to the gym yesterday after a week off thanks (no thanks) to Snowzilla. I have one more workout in stage 2.

I've lost 15 pounds since starting the program! The combination of weights and intervals in the same workout must be just the ticket. I haven't been consciously "dieting", either, just making sure I get in a little protein with every meal.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 01:02 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I got back to the gym yesterday after a week off thanks (no thanks) to Snowzilla. I have one more workout in stage 2.

I've lost 15 pounds since starting the program! The combination of weights and intervals in the same workout must be just the ticket. I haven't been consciously "dieting", either, just making sure I get in a little protein with every meal.
Wow, that's pretty impressive. I did their NROLFW book back in 2009 and saw decent results doing the workouts in a gym, but I was much younger then and not in the middle of perimenopause. I'm finding that it doesn't matter what I do, I still don't see results. I'm not expecting to look as I did 7 years ago, but it would be nice to put the work in and have something to show for it. I do have to work on cleaning up my diet. That's probably the problem.

I would buy Strong, but I hear it has to be done in a gym and I have no desire to join a gym. Is it possible to do these at home with weights, pull-up bar and bands or does it require gym equipment? I see the cover of the book shows someone with a barbell, but I do not have a barbell and have no room for one.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 03:02 PM  
runnermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post

I would buy Strong, but I hear it has to be done in a gym and I have no desire to join a gym. Is it possible to do these at home with weights, pull-up bar and bands or does it require gym equipment? I see the cover of the book shows someone with a barbell, but I do not have a barbell and have no room for one.
I think it really depends on what you have at home. I am only in the 1st Phase and have been able to modify the workouts to do them at home. In all the Phases they have cable exercises that are tricky to modify with bands but I have been able to so far- that might change the further one gets into the program. Later on you will be doing sets in the 3-5 rep range so you will need heavy enough weights for that to be challenging. Overall I think it could be done at home depending on your strength and what equipment you have but I can see how it would be alot easier to do at a gym and be able to get the most out of the program. Long answer- hope this helps!
runnermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 03:24 PM  
Chomper

My husband and I are planning to do the whole program at home with pull up bar, suspension trainer, light and heavy bands and a door anchor, and dumbbells, and a high step. We already have dumbbells up to 45 lbs, and may have to buy heavier ones eventually. My plan is to substitute out barbell exercises for other ones. (Though we do have a Troy lite barbell, so could fit at most 80 lbs on it and I like using it for hip thrusts, but without a squat rack we won't be squatting or benching)

That said, we are still in Phase 1. I am starting stage 2 (of phase 1) after being out of commission for almost two weeks from a nasty cold that triggered endless migraines. I have flipped through the later stages and didn't see anything that didn't have an obvious substitution. But, if you don't have all the equipment we have, it would be a lot of $ to buy all at once.

ETA: I am also in need of dropping some fat, but that has everything to do with the insane amount of holiday treats I have allowed in the house and obstacles to regular workouts like travel and illness.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 08:41 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Bumping, because I am done!

Actually, I reached the end of stage 8, and decided not to do stage 9 (the final stage) because it's supposed to be the hardest stage of all the NROL programs, with maximum weight drop sets at the beginning of all workouts. My lower back has been saying "enough" so I might revisit this stage some other time.

But I love my results! I'm now holding one-minute planks like nothing (used to struggle to get 30 seconds), 45-second side planks (used to collapse after 10 seconds), 130 pound deadlifts for 10 reps, 80 pound bench press for 10, and double kettlebell rack squats with 2 16kg bells for 12 reps.

Also: lost 30 pounds, went from size 16 to some size 8 clothing, and have cuts on my thighs, calves and forearms that I never had/noticed before. I haven't been following a particular diet, and on off days I've just been walking (Pokemon Go has helped there) and an occasional short interval workout like Mike Donavanik's BeFit videos.

This is probably the best program I've ever done. Part of its genius is that instead of just getting progressively harder, some stages are sort of "back off" stages for a one step back, two steps forward effect. If I could change anything, I might offer an easier alternative to stage 9. I thought of doing a second round but I tried the first workout of Lean Muscle Diet (another book, by Schuler and Alan Aragon) and liked it a lot, so I guess I'll stick with that for now.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 11:35 AM  
antbuko

Wow, congratulations Sue. Amazing results!
Old 08-31-16, 11:45 AM  
gladgirl

Congratulations on doing the program!
Phenomenal results!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 11:59 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Sue, did you do the program at home or at a gym? As I said back in January, I was thinking of getting the book but don't belong to a gym and it didn't seem like it could easily be adapted for home use.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 12:15 PM  
Scorpio6

Rant

You know, it has begun to get on my nerves that fitness ppl keep coming out with "new" things that really are not new, but they are presented as such in order to get more money coming in. After awhile you get to the point where there's nothing new you have to offer. It would set a lot better with me if they would just be honest and present their latest offering along the lines of, since you love this instructor here is some variety for you with a restructured workout, or new music, or prettier background, or whatever.

Case in point -- Leslie's repackaged walks, MHB Ballet Beautiful Backstage Workout which I already commented on, these NROL books. Why bother to buy the latest book, they will just claim to have discovered something new and improved and come out with another book next year, might as well wait for the "improved" version when they finally get that figured out.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alwyn cosgrove, lou schuler, nrol for women, strong book