Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-14, 01:03 PM  
Pascal

New Runner Needs Gadgets Advice

Hello. I am in week 8 of a couch to 5k program, and would like to continue running once race/program is over.

I currently run with a friend using a Gymboss only. After our training, we plan on doing some runs independently as our schedules won't accommodate doing longer runs together.

I'd like to start running with music, and tracking my pace/distance. I currently have a Gymboss, an iPod Shuffle, and an iPhone.

My DH suggests I get a Garmin Forerunner for pace/distance (but they aren't cheap), and then use my iPod Shuffle for music.
My friend suggests I use my iPhone for music, and 'MapMyRun' or some such app, (which I've never heard of) for tracking pace/distance.

Would love to hear fellow VFers recommendations!!

TIA!
Old 09-04-14, 03:14 PM  
curious621

I think you are smart to use what you have for now. I have an ipod shuffle (for music) and ipod touch (for running podcasts) but I would suggest the Garmin Forerunner 10. It is the easiest one to use and I love my pink one. That would be easier than having to look at your phone for distances and times. I think I paid around $129 but I use it for every run and it has been with me for 3 half marathons! Knuckle lights are great for running when it's dark too. I don't know if you like running podcasts but Another Mother Runner ones are great and I really enjoyed Two Gomers Run a Half Marathon as well. They are great for long runs!
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 03:29 PM  
mspina

The Garmin is awesome if you want to make that investment, no doubt about it. In the meantime, however, just download the RunKeeper app to your phone, and get an armband for it. The app gives you updates (which you can customize) as you run, letting you know your progress, so there is no issue with having to look at your phone (although just looking at your upper arm works just fine if you want to see how far you've gone). The app is a great way to track your progress, and you can use it while you have your music playing. It's pretty great. They also have training plans for various distances and goals (first time 5k to competitive marathon plans) that you can download to your account, and the phone will remind you that you have a run scheduled the next day. Highly recommend.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 04:30 PM  
curious621

Hmm- that's good for me to know. I finally got my first smartphone less than a month ago so there's a lot I don't know!
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 06:02 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I personally use a Motoactv, which I bought after I knew I wanted to keep running. A friend uses the Endomondo app. I'm not sure how much information it gives you during a run, but it definitely keeps records.

Another one I've heard of (but haven't used) is Strava.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 07:27 PM  
vplan

I love "Runtastic PRO" app. No need for extra gadgets...
Old 09-05-14, 06:04 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I use Runkeeper on my phone, like Michelle does (as usual we do many of the same things! ) I also just use an arm band.

I have used several other apps, including MapMyRun and find Runkeeper to be more accuate and user friendly.

I'm not sure if you're running outside or not, but PLEASE be careful listening to music wearing earbuds or headphones when you're running outside. There are so many things you need to listen for in order to be safe. Traffic is number one, but dogs and other humans are two more things you just need to be able to hear coming up behind you. I can't imagine running down the road and not hearing what's approaching me from behind. I've had many encounters with unsafe drivers and mean dogs. Had I not been able to hear them ahead of time, the outcome might have been much worse.

Good luck with your running!
Old 09-05-14, 08:06 AM  
Kyra

I do use a Garmin now, but I went without for decades. One very simple, minimal equipment thing you try if you were so inclined would be to just run with an iPod and a normal watch. Time your run, then map it on a site like MapMyRun. You can put in your time and it'll give you pace, etc. and plot it all on a calendar for you. You can also use it to route plan in advance; you just save it and plug in the time later. It'll let you name and repeat routes. Takes a small time investment but I like to carry minimal stuff on a run so it worked for me. I did this for years before getting a Garmin.

If you want to carry your phone and an iPod I would say just look through the apps and see what appeals. I have runner friends who use a variety of apps so you might want to just experiment and see what you like best. I hear the Zombie run app is a lot of fun.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 09:07 AM  
Fit Mommy

I use mapmyrun and occasionally endomondo...both are good. I also really enjoy Spotify for music on my iphone all of which i tuck into my Amphipod Airflow Lite waistpack...where I usually store my car key or a gel for a long run. The pack is super light weight and I can run my races with it as well as my recreational runs without any problems.
Fit Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 04:28 PM  
YvonneP33

I also have a garmin 10 and love it. For me it's very motivational when you download your run and are able to see how fast you went compared to yesterday, your fastest and average speeds on graphs on your computer . It has made me competitive with myself and has improved my overall running. Plus it's cool when you can pull up your vacation runs and see your little run on the castaway key 5k
YvonneP33 is offline   Reply With Quote