Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-14, 05:11 AM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Samantha, not much to add here - I suffer from neck issues as well and benefitted greatly from physical therapy. This gal used the Maitland technique, which although was excruciating at times, was also almost magical in how it released terrible knots and improved mobility and pain. There are the MacKenzie exercises as well for cervical disc issues.

I am also another anecdotal fan of the inversion table. Was starting to have low back pain and since using regularly that is completely gone and it has overall improved mobility in my neck and really helps with spasms - can often feel the muscles relax after a few minutes of being upside down.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Samantha and a routine that works for you...
Anne Y
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 07:41 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
I just wanted to add that this is one of the things my physio did with me, and gave me a home version to do. So something to check out, preferably with the help of a professional. Thanks for finding a video, Lexy - you're right, it's hard to explain.
We do a gentle neck traction with a yoga strap loop over a hook in my Iyengar classes. Really helps.

I do agree with Jen's bery wise post, and know it's scary to deal with so many sources of pain.

ETA: Agree with Jacqi as well. Barbara Benagh will be there waiting for you once you get a fresh picture.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 08:32 AM  
mspina

Rather than a home remedy, I would HIGHLY recommend that you work with a PT, in conjunction with a good doc who can monitor your condition. This sounds WAY beyond what you should be trying to tackle in your living room.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 12:18 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Rather than a home remedy, I would HIGHLY recommend that you work with a PT, in conjunction with a good doc who can monitor your condition. This sounds WAY beyond what you should be trying to tackle in your living room.
Exactly. You are not going to resolve any of your issues with a DVD, period. Nothing short of surgery will recreate space between your vertebrae. Disks do not regenerate. There may be ways to manage your pain and neurological issues, but again, they are not found on a random DVD. Please work with qualified professionals - orthopedic physicians and physical therapists.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 12:50 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
We do a gentle neck traction with a yoga strap loop over a hook in my Iyengar classes. Really helps.
Yes - I hesitated to suggest that one because I really believe it should be done one on one with a professional first (yoga therapist, physiotherapist). But I agree, it was useful for me.

I forgot to mention it earlier - my physiotherapist, in addition to manipulation, traction, and prescribing home exercises, also finished off each PT session with acupuncture and I believe that was helpful as well.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 01:31 PM  
Fidget Queen

I would highly recommend going to Katy Bowman's blog (KatySays) and looking for any category that has to do with the spine. Read as much as you can. I think it will be life-changing. Once you've read a bit, she has alignment snacks videos (downloadable for $5 apiece) that will help immensely.

My mom has severe osteoporosis of the spine caused mainly by the fact that her spine has been immobile from tight muscles half of her life. Between dedicating herself to Katy's instructions and using Jill Miller's yoga time up balls to help release the muscles in her back daily, she looks like a new person and she no longer has pain in her back at all. Building bone will take time, but loosening muscles so she can have her spine in correct alignment is the first step.

Of course, like everyone has said , classical stretch and Essentrics are magical. Katy helps you with what to do all day long to fix and prevent the problem.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 02:08 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
Exactly. You are not going to resolve any of your issues with a DVD, period. Nothing short of surgery will recreate space between your vertebrae. Disks do not regenerate. There may be ways to manage your pain and neurological issues, but again, they are not found on a random DVD. Please work with qualified professionals - orthopedic physicians and physical therapists.
I didn't know that. Thanks for mentioning it.

I guess I assumed she was seeing a professional. I totally agree that's the most important step.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 03:27 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Thank you !!!

Hey girls, thanks so much for all your input !!!

In the past I had way leeser episodes and I was able to find relief and even fix it for a few years as long as I was keeping up my practice.

I m looking for a chiropractor for my neck, a good one in my area, I got the T-TAPP for seniors ( ) and I will have to move my inversion table to an area where I can use it ( its in the garage, I moved recently and things are not set yet )

I know about surgery but I do not want it

Right now I am in too much pain for my neurophlogosis and hopefully when it will calm down ( keeping fingers crossed ) I will start to do sometjing foir the neck because its so frustrating not to have control over an arm.

I will talk to my Italian doctor next week and see what he reccomends

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all the tips, life experiences, videos and tips that you are sharing, you are great
Old 08-28-14, 05:38 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Yes - I hesitated to suggest that one because I really believe it should be done one on one with a professional first (yoga therapist, physiotherapist). But I agree, it was useful for me.

I forgot to mention it earlier - my physiotherapist, in addition to manipulation, traction, and prescribing home exercises, also finished off each PT session with acupuncture and I believe that was helpful as well.
Agreed -- none of this should be done unsupervised. (I didn't even want to include a photo.)
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 06:36 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I can't add to the list but I can give you many cyber hugs and send positive vibes.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yamuna