Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-14, 08:55 AM  
Pipi

Do you work your Bis and Tris in isolation

I've been doing Cathe's X-train for 5 weeks now and I am just wondering if it is necessary to work my tris and bis in isolation the way X-train is planned.
Do you work your tris and bis with isolation moves or do you feel they get worked enough with chest and back work?
Pipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 12:45 PM  
Pipi

Edited the title as it was confusing.
Old 08-26-14, 12:50 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Hi Pipi,

I'm not familiar with the videos. But if you are doing big pushing and pulling exercises like supinated grip chin-ups/pull downs, rows, OH presses, push-ups, bench presses, etc, your bi's and tri's are getting a whole lot of work already. If you are working these exercises hard, IMO you needn't do isolation work for bis and tris.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 12:55 PM  
Sophie

only when rehabbing or addressing an imbalance. Otherwise, what KarenP said.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 01:08 PM  
marmact

You certainly don't have to if you're doing a lot of push/pull work. But I think XTrain is designed as a split series, and typically those include more isolation work than not.

(I personally always add some isolation work in for biceps and triceps because I like definition in those muscles.)
Old 08-26-14, 01:37 PM  
Cafelattee

I think it depends on your anatomy and your goals. I've always worked those in isolations because my arms are the supper skinny looking with large elbow joint not in proportion KWIM. I have to put extra load to give myself even defined muscular arms. They are not body building huge even with isolation work.

You know your body and goal. You get to choose
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 05:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I switched from D2S (which has no isolation work) to X-Train, and I really felt it in my bis and tris. I just wasn't getting enough before. Maybe if I could do pull ups it would make a difference, but I don't think that's feasible for me. However, I don't do every set, and when I'm doing split routines, I will skip Bis & Tris if the week gets busy.

So my answer would be to throw some in if you feel the need, but just do as much as you think will help you reach your goals.
Old 08-27-14, 07:07 AM  
Pipi

Thank you for all your opinions. I think for now with x-train rotation I will still do them but maybe not as many sets. I have definitely seen some improvement on my definition.
Old 08-27-14, 07:17 AM  
Kyra

If I have some time/energy at the end of a workout, or if I feel like it, I will do a set of bis or tris. So, I might do one set of either or both per week. But, I don't have aesthetic goals; I just think it's fun to bust out come curls every now and then. If you do train more for aesthetics you might want to incorporate more iso work. As Karen P implied, if you are just shooting for functional goals, bi/tri iso work is largely unnecessary.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 09:22 AM  
Pipi

It's very vain of me, but I want my arms to look like I work out since I put so much time into. I just wish my lower body would cooperate.