Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-14, 10:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've been enjoying reading all the experiences posted in this thread.

Another aspect of the peri- and menopaual years is family obligations. It figures that a woman's body would have to have this transition when they have to meet the demands of a spouse, children, siblings, and (possibly elderly) parents. Our loved ones may not be "understanding." That adds so much to a stressful time already.

While I don't have family left, I do have an easy-going, calm DH who weathered the hot flash storms with me.

POSTURE CHECK!

Last edited by Vintage VFer; 08-09-14 at 10:45 AM. Reason: For clarity
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 10:42 AM  
Diana3271

I am very cold natured where as DH is very hot natured. The thermostat is a constant battle for us. I know he will love it when I start having the hot flashes.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 10:53 AM  
mtngoat

Additional thoughts - maybe my brain fog isn't totally gone:

Oh yeh, should also mention that the money saved from having to buy pads/tampons equals at least one DVD or streaming subscription a month!

Aside (related, but aside): On a more practical note, I wish that I had discovered cloth pads while going through peri-menopause. It would have saved me so much money, plus I really think that they are much less irritating to very sensitive skin. Also, 'they' claim that cloth pads make your period lighter. I was highly skeptical of this claim, but my extremely heavy periods did start to lessen once I started using them. It may have been coincidence, but who knows?

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 08-09-14 at 10:56 AM. Reason: wording
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 11:50 AM  
unfetteredpast

Oh, I don't miss the periods at all. I finally own a drawer of underwear THAT IS NOT ALL BLACK!! I love it!

Hot flashes were the worst the first year, but they've slowed down and are not as frequent or intense.

My only continuing complaint is dryness. I tried a topical estrogen for awhile but ultimately decided I didn't want the risks associated with it, plus I'm not sure how much it helped. From what I've read, keeping -- ahem -- active and using good lubricants helps the most. I can't tell you how delighted someone else in this household was to hear that .
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 01:46 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've always wanted to do an informal poll, looking for anec-data to see if there might be a connection between birth control pills and menopausal experiences. Did our pre-pill grandmothers have these problems? A friend of mine once suggested that by taking the pill, and suppressing these symptoms over the years, they all come out in menopause.

I really don't know. Just meandering thoughts.
My mom never took birth control and not only did she have awful, life-disrupting periods, she's had the worst, longest peri-menopause and menopause experience any of us have ever seen. Actually, it's been 20 years since her symptoms began and she is still suffering. Her siblings never had it quite as bad, but they weren't pleasant experiences, either. They never took BCPs.

I'm terrified for myself, especially considering that mono already launched me into a hormonal pit of doom in my late 20s.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 02:10 PM  
sunday

Hmm, I DID take BC, and I am having a really easy meno. In fact this month marks me as officially POST-meno.

My mom, on the other hand, never took BC and had a really hard time with menopause, as did my aunt, who also never took bc. She's 75 and STILL struggling with hot flashes.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 02:23 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've always wanted to do an informal poll, looking for anec-data to see if there might be a connection between birth control pills and menopausal experiences. Did our pre-pill grandmothers have these problems? A friend of mine once suggested that by taking the pill, and suppressing these symptoms over the years, they all come out in menopause.

I really don't know. Just meandering thoughts.
It's a valid question. I never took BC pills; my mom did and also took HRT during/after menopause. She still gets hot flashes at age 76. My sister is hitting meno, has been on BC for years and is looking like she will follow the maternal footprint. I clearly had a different experience than my mother & sister. Generally, I think if you start messing with your hormones you are playing with fire...

Makes me wonder if there has been any research on this.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 03:49 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
Went through naturally - I don't do doctors. I know some day I'll likely have to, but not until then.
Same here! Peri was a nightmare for me, though, and if I had to do it over again (heaven forbid!), I might risk the doctors.

One positive thing in my peri experience--although I had every other deplorable symptom, I had NO HOTFLASHES. My mother had had excruciating ones; I still remember her dashing out of our house without a coat on -20 degree winter nights. My peri experience matched hers in every other way, but I escaped the hot flashes.

When I was still in my 20s, I read that vitamin E was used in hot flash treatment, so I started taking a low dose daily (no more than 200 mg). I was counting on the cumulative effect, and perhaps it actually worked, because to this day I don't know how a hot flash feels.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 04:45 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post
My mom never took birth control and not only did she have awful, life-disrupting periods, she's had the worst, longest peri-menopause and menopause experience any of us have ever seen. Actually, it's been 20 years since her symptoms began and she is still suffering. Her siblings never had it quite as bad, but they weren't pleasant experiences, either. They never took BCPs.

I'm terrified for myself, especially considering that mono already launched me into a hormonal pit of doom in my late 20s.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear this.

I do want you to know that I had mono when I was 16 years old, and was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 1988. I was very sick with both. With CFS I was sick for a year. It's very common to get CFS/Epstein Barr if you had mono when you were younger. The only symptoms that were the same was night sweats.

Mopsy, my mom never took BC and has 5 children. I have 2. She breezed through menopause too. So maybe genetics played a role for me.

Other things that I had in common with my mom going through menopause; no skin problems, and no sudden cellulite. Even though my sisters are overweight and do not work out, they do not have cellulite either, so again, I really think genetics plays a huge role in our aging process.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 04:57 PM  
sunday

When I think about it, possibly genetics plays more of a role than BC, since I took BC and have had an easy-breezy meno, and my mom's side did not and have had horrid times.

On my dad's side, my grandma waltzed through meno like it was nothing - no sweats, no weight gain, no anything. I seem to be taking after that side. My mom's side, who also took zero hormones, all suffered. My grandma was 95 when she passed and still had hot flashes! She would suddenly burn up and sweat and then it would leave.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, middle-aged women, mononucleosis, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause, vintage vfers