Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-21, 07:38 PM  
prettyinpink

Do you ever get tired of working out at home?

Even after a very long time of being consistent and mostly enjoying it?

I am finding myself there. Maybe it’s only a slump. Maybe it is a result of the pandemic, and wanting to do many more things in person. Maybe it’s a result of stage of life. I started working out at home because it saved a lot of driving time when I had a demanding job, and then responsibility for children. But I grew to prefer it for other reasons, and for many years.

If you felt this way, did it help to take classes in person? Did you regain your enjoyment of working out at home?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 07:42 PM  
bubbles76

Nope. I haven't gotten tired of working out at home. I got tired of workout out. I just bought more dvds or shopped my extensive collection. Tried a completely different way of working out. For instance, if I had been doing Cathe moderate to heavy lifting for awhile I switched up to Margaret Richard high reps, low weights with plenty of floorwork. Or I switch to body weight and barre.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 07:51 PM  
rhbrand

Sometimes yes.

I did Crossfit a few years ago. The man who ran the garage not official Crossfit gym I went to moved and opened a real one but its just to far away for me to drive to. At least a 45 min drive on a good day. I miss it.
It was so nice. Everyone there supported one another, cheered you on if you were the last to get done, helped each other out. I miss it.

Working out at home is nice, but sometimes it would be nice to have someone cheer me on. Make sure my form is good . I also pushed myself that extra little bit more than I do at home.
Old 10-23-21, 07:57 PM  
bfit

The only thing I ever enjoyed for fitness that was not at home (except for swimming of course which you have to do at a pool) was Bar Method. I really appreciated all of the form pointers that allowed me to get the most out of it. Unfortunately, I can't do barre any more because of the effects of a foot injury, but I really miss it.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 11:39 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Never! I started when I was well over 300 lbs and hated the way that I looked and at the gyms there are ALWAYS whole wall mirrors all around and I hated seeing myself at that size so I would get depressed. I could not look down while working out obviously so I tried working out at home. That was, wow nearly 30 years ago. I just today ordered a new set of heavier weights and looking at a few other pieces of equipment for my home gym. I love it! I am comfortable, I know it's only me here (besides my son) using the equipment, no getting in the car and dealing with traffic and I can work out anytime. I love it!! No regrets!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 05:27 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Tried a completely different way of working out. For instance, if I had been doing Cathe moderate to heavy lifting for awhile I switched up to Margaret Richard high reps, low weights with plenty of floorwork. Or I switch to body weight and barre.
me too.

it's been years since i took a group class. 9 years ago i took a Zumba class at work because it was free. and the time before that Zumba class was maybe 12 years? i took an aerobics class that my friend was teaching. i haven't been to a gym in 15 years.

like bubbles, i do things in "themes". current theme is non-Leslie walking DVDs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 08:20 AM  
Nelly G

I do not get tired at working at home. I can work out differently at home.

Working out at a gym is not near with me only boxing which is expensive ( 3 classes 40 dollars) or a gym with virtual classes so when you are not in the mood you have to pay too.The not nearby gyms are 25 minutes away by car and driving is expensive here. The classes there are expensive too and never on times I want or at Sunday.

I do like at home that I can choose what I can do and the time and do it.
If I am less motivated I choose a short workout and a workout I like to do.
I mostly workout longer then I have planned because I get more motivated.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 10:02 AM  
jusca

nope! i tried bcycling outdoors and the routes were limited, cars always drove too close to me (our city doesnt have bike lanes) and I always had to scope out streets a few days beforehand to see which houses on certain streets had loose dogs or not. too much work so i went back to indoor workouts.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-21, 10:19 AM  
Leonana

No, I like home workouts. I’m an introvert, so it’s easier for me to work out at home. And I’m always the one who is behind everyone else. I can keep my own pace at home.

But mainly it’s the expense. It’s cheaper at home. Plus I don't have regular workout clothes and would have to buy some.

Although I did enjoy a senior Tai Chi class at the Parks and Rec. it was affordable. But it was canceled due to Covid. Regular classes have started again but I don’t think senior classes have yet.
Old 10-24-21, 10:16 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Nope. I haven't gotten tired of working out at home. I got tired of workout out. I just bought more dvds or shopped my extensive collection. Tried a completely different way of working out. For instance, if I had been doing Cathe moderate to heavy lifting for awhile I switched up to Margaret Richard high reps, low weights with plenty of floorwork. Or I switch to body weight and barre.
Yes, I have gotten bored and switched things out many times, or tried new things. That really helps a lot with motivation. Maybe it’s time to do that again.

I think what is missing for me is the people factor. It is nice being with even just a person or two who is making the time to be active. I wouldn’t enjoy having to go to a gym for every workout, either. It might be fun at first, but I think I’d get tired of it. Even back when I used to take classes or do other things at a gym, I did some of my exercise from home by running. I don’t run these days and don’t want to start, but maybe finding someone to walk with regularly would be nice.

I think what would be really great is an outdoor fitness class that meets in nice weather, that isn’t far away. In order to have that I’d have to be the one to start it, though.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boredom, home vs gym, motivation