Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-02, 04:21 PM  
alene1

Favorite Margaret Richard tapes?

I've always wanted to try one of Margaret Richard tapes, and decided now would be a good time since I'm about to post an exchange list. I would be interested in cardio tapes or strength, especially if it included a good floor work segment. Also, what is her web address so I can check out all that she has available? Thanks!

Sue
alene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-02, 06:10 PM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

Hi

Her tape Getting Better is one of the best tapes I have come across in a long time. The floorwork is excellent. I have several of her tapes and they are good for cross training. I have used them almost exclusively because I have been sick for the last couple of months and you get a good weight workout without getting worn out. Margaret uses light weights but I usually start out with 12 lb dumbbells ad work my way down to 2 1/2 lbs. She works with a lot of reps. Her form is excellent and she tells you to concentrate on yours as well. She is what I would love to look like when I get to be around 50/60 years old like she is.

Her website address

bodyelectrictv.com

Her videos are not cheap @ $30 ea. but she is running a "special" where if you buy 2 they are "only" @ $28 ea.

HTH

Kim
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-02, 06:33 PM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

Hehe. I know I'll NEVER look like Margaret Richard, who is slim and wiry. However, I really like her Getting Better workout, which I bought to use during my bout with foot surgery. I continue to use it, and will always like it.

I have one of her "best of" tapes, but haven't used it that often, mainly because it isn't divided into upper and lower segments. Each segment works a selected group of upper and lower body parts, so it would be best if you could use this workout twice a week to cover everything. That doesn't fit into my plan right now--but the workouts are really good, for the reasons Kimmie mentions.
Old 05-26-02, 03:45 AM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

My favorites

My personal favorite is Getting Better. That has to be my best impulse purchase of a video to date. Her two Sculpture videos are also very good, since they are divided into two upper body and lower body workouts each, so they make a nice add-on workout to cardio in 1/2 hour segments. If you like Body Bar tapes, you can't beat Raising the Bar. Other tapes I have and enjoy are Strong For Life and her two All My Best tapes. I would not recommend her Knockout Workout and Forty & Fabulous tapes, which are rather dated in approach.

"The ideal day never comes. Today is ideal for him who makes it so."
-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 06:58 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

I have 2 of her tapes: Raising the Bar and Muscle & Grace: Toning and I like them both very much. Raising the Bar is her bodybar tape. Muscle & Grace Toning has 2 half hour workouts on it, the first is upper body and the second lower body. Her floor work on this one is very tough and I'm finding very effective.

WendyB, could you tell me a little more about Give Me Strength? Is it broken up into upper and lower body segments? Does it have a lot of floorwork? Also, are the half hour workouts on the Upper and Lower Body Sculpture videos complete workouts that hit all the muscle groups? I'm thinking that if I buy the Upper and Lower Body Sculpture videos I could combine them by using one workout of the upper body video with one workout of the lower body video to get a total body workout.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 08:28 AM  
Tugger31

What's the difference....

....between the two Sculpture tapes and Getting Better?? I do Cathe for my strength work and Im looking for something equally as intense and effective.

Thanks,

Stacy
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 02:08 PM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

Talking I've Got To Write More Reviews!

Danielle, I don't have Give Me Strength, though there are some segments of that in her All My Best compilation tapes. The tape I do have is Strong For Life, which consists of two half-hour workouts. Workout #1 works pectorals, triceps, biceps, quads, glutes, and hamstrings. Workout #2 works back, delts, calves, abs, and outer/inner thighs. If you wanted to do a total body workout, both segments of the tape would do that. Or you could do only upper or lower body if you didn't mind fast-forwarding to the proper segments. I usually do this tape in one sitting as a total body workout.

As for Getting Better, there are two reviews on this tape with breakdowns in the new reviews section, one by Barb L and one by myself. A review of Sculpture: Upper Body is here: http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/richard-sub.php

Sculpture: Upper Body can be done as one or two workouts, each approximately 1/2 hour in length (with warmup/cooldown), or as one 51-minute workout. She does two sets each of pectorals, triceps, and biceps in the first segment, followed by two sets each of deltoid, back, and lat work, plus abs in the second segment. This tape is a major fryer for my arms.

Sculpture: Lower Body is a 49-minute workout that can be broken into two segments. This tape is primarily floorwork. The first segment consists of standing calf and quad work, plus inner/outer thigh floorwork. The second segment consists of glute and hamstring floorwork plus abs. I usually do the tape in one go, but I like how she tried to make it flexible if time is short for you.

The major difference between her Sculpture tapes and Getting Better is that there is some standing work in both Sculpture tapes, while Getting Better is done entirely seated or lying on the floor (since Margaret did the workout when recovering from foot surgery). I primarily do Cathe for weight work too, using heavy weights. Margaret's weight work is a nice change of pace, since it features lighter weights and more reps. Don't let the tiny weights fool you though. Your arms will feel like they will fall off. And her floorwork is as tough as early Firm floorwork but longer and more thorough.

You've got me interested now in Muscle and Grace Toning! Would you be willing to do a review sometime of that one? I've got enough of her tapes for now to hold me, but if it ever comes up on the exchange or Ebay.... :rolleyes:

"The ideal day never comes. Today is ideal for him who makes it so."
-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
WendyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-02, 02:45 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Thanks WendyB! I did mean Strong for Life and not Give Me Strength. I think I would like both Getting Better and Strong for Life. I like to do total body in 60 min. or under, so combining Upper and Lower body Sculpture workouts would be too long for me.

Here's a little more info on Muscle & Grace Toning. It's from 1996. The set is a room with plants in the background. Margaret, a woman, and a man are the cast. I liked the music, all instrumental. It has 2 30 minute workouts each with it's own warm-up and cool down. For upper body, you do pushups, pec flies, lying tricep presses, dips, hammer curls(I think?), concentration curls, deltoids, and back (sorry I don't remember all the exercises for these 2 muscle groups as there was a lot of variety). For lower body, ab crunches and I think oblique crunches, outer thigh floor work, inner thigh floor work, lying gluteal work, squats, and calf raises. What makes this video different is that each person shows a different option for the exercise, either with equipment (bodybar, dumbbells, thigh weights, step bench), position (sitting or standing), or level (pushups from table position, on knees, on toes).

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-02, 10:17 AM  
alene1

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks to all who replied. Decisions, decisions.... they all sound good! I just ordered the Winsor Pilates tapes so I better wait before ordering any, at least until after this month's Visa bill comes!

Sue
alene1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite margaret richard