Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-19, 02:09 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Plus, like you said, we are looking for different results at different times in our life and we each have different bodies and different goals.

It’s never “just the workouts”, even when we might think it is. It is mindset, how we eat, even in small ways, in quality of sleep, in what else is going on in life, that effect results. Sometimes we aren’t doing the exercises effectively, even when we think we are and giving it our best effort. Sometimes the exercise regimen itself makes us more or less aware of our eating habits or makes it harder to control intake.
Yes!
Old 01-11-19, 02:21 PM  
wendug

This is an interesting thread! What works for someone might not work for someone else. I really don't do rotations often as I get bored, but I have completed a couple.

Best rotation- CLX. This really helped me push myself to lift heavier. I gained strength which helped me move on to more advanced workouts. Chalene might not be for everyone, but I found her very encouraging!

Best rotation for breaking through a plateau- Taebo! I did a month of Taebo using a variety of Billy's workouts always wearing weighted gloves and adding in a few of his band and sculpting workouts.

Okay rotation- CB90- I had to cut this rotation down to 60 days and was happy to be done with it. I do like the workouts, but I like to mix circuit workouts with other types of workouts.

Not for me rotation- Kettlebell Kickboxing Scorcher Series- I felt this workout was great for my legs and core, but I felt the upper body was neglected. I think I lasted 4 weeks and had to bail on it.

A rotation I think might work well for me would be mixing low weight high rep (Slim Series, Jari Love) with kickboxing. I might have to give that a go for a month and see how I like it. I have enough workouts to give a bit more variety with different instructors to combat my exercise A.D.D.
Old 01-12-19, 12:26 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Like Donna, I rarely see results from anything. However, would I look a lot different if I didn’t work out at all? I’m sure I would. I guess I looked my best in the 90s when I was mixing it up week after week - heavy, light, all cardio, all Firm, etc.

I recently had someone comment that I must have a great upper body because I work it 3X a week. Ummm, not really. But what will happen if I don’t? And maybe my standards are just too high because I’m comparing myself to instructors, etc. And c’mon. I’m 65.5 now. I should be comparing myself (well, I shouldn’t be doing that at all, but ...) to others my age.

I just can’t stop trying, though. I’m not injuring myself yet. Always grasping. Now I want to try as much of the 100 Push Up Challenge as I can manage because someone said they had their best arms with that (were they 65?). And what exactly am I trying to achieve?

I think it’s mainly consistency that works, whether it’s heavy, light, yoga, Pilates, Classical Stretch - whatever. We just need to keep going!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 01:29 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Like Donna, I rarely see results from anything. However, would I look a lot different if I didn’t work out at all? I’m sure I would. I guess I looked my best in the 90s when I was mixing it up week after week - heavy, light, all cardio, all Firm, etc.

I recently had someone comment that I must have a great upper body because I work it 3X a week. Ummm, not really. But what will happen if I don’t? And maybe my standards are just too high because I’m comparing myself to instructors, etc. And c’mon. I’m 65.5 now. I should be comparing myself (well, I shouldn’t be doing that at all, but ...) to others my age.

I just can’t stop trying, though. I’m not injuring myself yet. Always grasping. Now I want to try as much of the 100 Push Up Challenge as I can manage because someone said they had their best arms with that (were they 65?). And what exactly am I trying to achieve?

I think it’s mainly consistency that works, whether it’s heavy, light, yoga, Pilates, Classical Stretch - whatever. We just need to keep going!
I love this Joni!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 02:17 PM  
Scorpio6

sunday: What type of yoga were you doing? Can you please share a sample listing of the poses you were doing in a workout?
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 02:18 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Best (& maybe worst), but not favorite: The ONLY DVD rotation I've done where I had noticeable results was a Cathe rotation from way-back-when. I think it was called "Bootcamp" and you did 2 Cathe workouts on most days.(?!?) I'm thinking 2008 maybe. I got stronger, lost weight, then 3 days before the end of the rotation, I had an UB injury. I've never worked out that hard again ...

Least Effective: all rotations where I go to failure on the reps. I get exhausted and burned out. End up taking several days off, and then starting all over again...

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 04:37 PM  
donnamp

Joni - LOL! I got my best arms from doing the 100 push up challenge - I was in my early 40's then (I'm 51 now). You are correct, I would be in worse shape if I didn't exercise at all I'm sure. It is important for so much more than "Results you can see" - but it would be nice to have some of those, too. LOL!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 06:37 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
sunday: What type of yoga were you doing? Can you please share a sample listing of the poses you were doing in a workout?
I was in yoga teacher training, and we did the Ashtanga Primary Series six days a week. It takes 90 minutes, and there is NO variation. Lots of reps of the poses and movements.

http://ashtangayogaworldwide.com/wp-...s-sequence.jpg

It was grueling and difficult, and truthfully I totally burned myself out of yoga after that certification.

FYI I was adding in 2-3 Leslie’s miles a day as well, making for about two hours a day. No wonder I was slim and fit!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood type workouts, effective workouts, peripheral heart action, rotations, unplugged