Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-19, 01:52 PM  
Cecelia

Quote:
Fat Loss Focus:
3 Full Body PHA, 2 HIIT, 1 Aerobic Cardio
Weight come off FAST with this rotation due to the afterburn effect which creates a greater calorie deficit to an already established deficit meal plan.
Sharaz, do you mind sharing what your PHA workouts looked like? Also, how long was your aerobic cardio?

TIA!
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 02:08 PM  
Lannette

Now I do my own rotations and I love them all unless they get over about 8 weeks. My most rent is 6 weeks long but I’m pretty sure I’ll extend it by a week or two.
ETA: You can see it HERE. It looks like a hot mess but it’s actually been a lot of fun and effective as well.

The worst ever? Ballet Body Periodization 1. I really like Leah’s BB DVDs and I loved the first month of her rotation but the leap from month one to two was huge and it kept demanding more and more time and I quit right before I finished when DH mentioned that it seemed like working out was a chore.

I actually like a lot of the downloads, just not strung together into hour and 3/4 workouts!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 01-09-19 at 02:11 PM. Reason: To add
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 02:54 PM  
cherimac

Hmm, I'm 53. I've worked out consistently since I've been 26. I've done a lot of different things and what USED to work doesn't now so I'm going to put more than one thing in the best.

Most Effective: In my early 30s, The Firm BSS2. I reshaped my body lifting and moving up and down on that Fanny Llfter!

In my late 40s and 50s~I'd gained 20 pounds and hurt all over still lifting heavier for me. What worked then was changing how and what I ate, walking a lot more, and finding Pilates by Lisa. Pilates is the most effective thing I do now and I use The Balanced Life and PBL both.

Least Effective: Tracey Anderson Meta. I actually GAINED weight doing that, lost my muscle tone, and sustained an injury that occasionally flares to this day. I was in my late 40s then so that may have been why.

Least favorite: Slim Series. So many repetitions, annoying music, and Kevin.

Most Fun: Probably BSS era Firms. I'm an oddball who likes those a lot. I also really like The Balanced Life's Summer Sculpt program and Pilates By Lisa Challenges. Lots of fun.
Old 01-09-19, 03:49 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecelia View Post
Sharaz, do you mind sharing what your PHA workouts looked like? Also, how long was your aerobic cardio?

TIA!
Hi Cecelia!

PHA Workouts
*Most of these workouts are set up as rounds of LB/UB performing more than one exercise per muscle group. A true PHA set up is supposed to be alternating 1 set of LB, 1 set of UB. There are many PHA set ups out there. The key is alternating LB/UB during the workout. For my Fat Loss rotation, the below workouts get the job done because the heart rate does not slow down during the entire workout as a result going back and forth between Legs and UB muscles. When we work Legs our HR is higher because is a larger muscle group. These Full Body workouts are low impact and there are no cardio bursts. I classify Full Body workouts with cardio bursts as Circuits. Because there are 2-3 cardio days in this rotation there is no need for circuits.

My aerobic cardio last about an hour (walking, running, stepping, kickboxing, etc.) I put 2 HIITs but can be 2 Aerobic Cardio / 1 HIIT or just 2-3 Aerobic Cardio.

The first 3 workout are my past rotations staples. I have done this rotation more than once and never had failed me. My rotation usually last 4 weeks.

I would recommend even beginners to use these workouts even though you need to start with 1s or 3s pounds or perform LB unweighted. The key is to be lifting as heavy as one can for the reps count.

I like to keep Pyramid Combo and STS to maintain muscle in a calorie deficit. The third Full Body workout is endurance focus.

The other workouts listed also alternate LB/UB and can be use as alternatives.

Pyramid Combo
STS Total Body
High Reps

Muscle Endurance
S&S PHA Training
Drill Max Total Body Premix
LIC Total Body Sculpt Premix
Old 01-09-19, 04:43 PM  
cjh
VF Supporter

Thank you Taiga!
cjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 06:12 PM  
IceQueen07

Your PHA rotation sounds great. Looks like I need to purchase some more workouts. lol.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 06:43 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Favorite- Suzanne Bowen's rotations, Pilates by Lisa

Most effective - Firm 90 Day rotation, Brazil Butt Lift, and Les Mills Pump (Beach Body version.) Also, marathon and half marathon training (fast walking, not running.)

Worst- if it was that bad, I couldnt do it.... so I have nothing to say here. Slim Series, Im looking at you.

Least effective - invariably, Pilates. There is so much to love about Pilates by Lisa and Robin Long's Balanced Life, and I truly love them, but results? No. That is not one of the things. They do feel good, though, eveen when they're hurting ya good!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 04:31 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Blood type workout Kit---I never notice music and yet the music in this set was so irritating I couldn't concentrate on the mediocre workouts.
i thought i was the only one in the VF world who owned this kit.

i liked the variety in this huge set, but i've only done each workout once.

the music didn't bug me too much - but the bland white background did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Essentrics--esp with Miranda. Pulled muscles on top of irritating instruction and yet so many Vfers reported good results. I tried so many different Essentric sets to no avail. I can say that my last attempt (Stretch Series Volume 1) was the best instructed and did not injure me so that's a start. I just don't enjoy the movements enough to do them regularly.
didn't injure myself, but wondered why so many people sing its praises. i just chalked it up to i didn't click too much with her. to each his own - i'm sure there's many people who loathe the series i favor! i do like Sahra over Miranda, and kept the lone Sahra workout that i own.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 05:03 AM  
Heather308

Quote:
Originally Posted by deineira View Post
I'd like to add to thread, and share rotation I'd like to try next: bodyweight/yoga only - I've never done a rotation focused on these and I think I'll try this year and see what happens.
Deineira, I like your idea of a bodyweight/yoga rotation. What does your rotation look like?
Heather308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 05:07 AM  
donnamp

I love threads like these!

In my early 30's the FIRM definitely gave me great results, i went from being a "skinny fat" cardio only girl (up until discovering the FIRM I only did cardio - very little strength work - although I had a Pilates DVD from Jennifer Kries that I enjoyed!) to a more muscular physique. It was enjoyable and worked for me.

Now, 20 years later, it is hard to say what works - I notice very few "visible" results from anything I do. I am not overweight and I'm not in bad shape, but nothing really brings any "wow" results in terms of something I can see.

Some rotations that did work well for me in terms of increasing strength, decreasing aches and pains:

X Factor Body Weight - I can't remember the exact name for this - but it is all body weight exercises done 3X per week - I felt that I got stronger particularly in my core from doing this set.

Dance/Pilates - one winter I was extremely burned out on everything I owned so for a few months all I did was dance and Pilates - I was able to shovel my driveway after a big storm for several hours without any repercussions in terms of back or other pain the next day. Again - my core got stronger.

Other rotations I have enjoyed - Jessica Smith - particularly when she used to post weekly schedules - the variety of those kept me engaged. Doing Yoga on an almost daily basis....for a variety junkie I enjoyed stringing together several short workouts from TV series like Charlene Prickett, Gilad, Classical Stretch and Margaret Richard's Unplugged. I like Pahla Bowers mini challenges (each week she posts a 5 day workout schedule on her blog - she will also e-mail it in her weekly newsletter).

Oh -one other thing that gave me good results that 100 push-up challenge! I never did get to the point of doing 100 consecutive push-ups but I was able to do 5 sets of 20. I got the best arms from doing that - it is the only time anyone ever asked me if I worked out! LOL!

I really should buckle down and try to find a rotation to follow - but these days - I have a hard time committing! I guess I am still working out regularly so that is what counts. I also do yoga almost daily and Pilates a few times a week.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood type workouts, effective workouts, peripheral heart action, rotations, unplugged