Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-12, 09:46 PM  
dnna

Has anyone done a Margaret Richard rotation?

I would like to do a month of MR, but am unsure of how to organize it. Would it be best to do :
day one: upper body
day two : lower body
day three cardio
I would add on a 30 minute walk on day one and two, and would guess that each MR would be about 30 minutes

or - how would I arrange a full hour full body workout week?

also wondering what would good add ons be? - an extra stretch?

I think I have all of MR except the Unplugged but could be enabled to get those
anyone have good results doing MR?

thank you

dnna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 10:08 PM  
Sara1000

The MR workouts I have mix upper and lower in a 2 - 3 or 4 day split - I would do Day 1 -Day 2 - Cardio - Day 3 - Day 4 - Cardio - Rest. Cardio maybe one fairly intense, the other low intensity like a Leslie 'unenhanced'.

You should have good results if you go as heavy as you can, but for me that's not very heavy with Margaret as she does a LOT of reps!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 11:11 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I've done MR rotations before, but they can get a bit tricky with how to plan the rotations. There are only certain workouts that have upper or lower body focus, so sometimes I would alternate those workouts each day.

With the unplugged workouts, it's not always clear what body parts will be worked, and if your plan is to do one each day sequentially with each episode, you might end up working the same muscle groups you did the day before. So, with those it's better to have a cardio day in between.

Then there are the workouts where she's set them up like a two or three day split. Do section A on Monday, section B on Tuesday, and section C on Wednesday, etc. Or, follow X said workout on one day, and y said workout on the next.

There's so many that can be mixed and matched, but it can be a bit confusing. It helps if you're familiar with her workouts and know what's in each of the DVDs.

I love her stuff but honestly it's been over a year since I've done any of her workouts. Her lower body floor work is some of the best (and guess which half of my body needs the focus...)

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 11:16 PM  
wellnesswife

Best MR Dvd?? Enablers, where are you?? Never tried her but curious...
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 07:10 AM  
Sara1000

My favorite is Good 4 You - beautiful setting, nice music, charming Margaret, good menu, tough workout. I have not done any workout consistently enough to claim results from it, but this one is thorough and seems to cover everything. Each day is about 25 minutes so you could add on some cardio if you have time. It is a 4 day split, covering each muscle group twice (every other day).
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 11:41 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

wellnesswife, my first MR dvd was probably "Good 'n Strong" so it's probably a favorite of mine, as it was a gift from a kind VFer! It's much like her more recent unplugged workouts (with the beautiful outdoor scenery.) I just love it!

I prefer most of the outdoor ones, but I've got most of them and they're all fun to mix and match.

There are others that have some killer lower body work, from her earlier workouts, though.

If you like to work upper body, Sculpture is a good choice.

You might like her "All My Best" if you haven't tried MR. It gives you a sampling from many of her workouts, so is a nice collection. There are two volumes out now, but I just have the first one, I believe.

So many to choose from, but they all vary a bit. A few of her workouts are more gentle (on the easier side) and some of her QVC workouts were along those lines.

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 03:34 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I think Summer of 2011 I did one, I'm trying to remember how I fitted it all together. I'm thinking it may have gone something like this:

Cardio & 30 min of an MR Workout
Cardio & 30 min of an MR Workout
I think I did a Cardio/Sculpt circuit type workout in there
I know I did a long walk once a week (b/c that is something I do regularly)
I may have added 30 min to MR to my walk
Then, I may have done another day of Cardio & MR.

I will have to look back and see if I can find any notes on this!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 04:02 PM  
donnamp

Ok! I found some old notes on my rotation - it was more or less what I thought I did so:

4 X per week - 30 min cardio, 30 min Margaret Richard, 30 min yoga or classical stretch*
2X per week a full body circuit.
1X per week long walk

* I did this during the summer when I had more time. I would be hard pressed to do this during the school year!

Donna
Old 12-10-12, 10:51 AM  
donnamp

Hi -
I'm reviving this thread to say I'm doing an MR rotation of sorts right now and it is working very well for me. Basically what I'm doing is an Unplugged episode every day, a classical stretch every day and a short (30 min) cardio every day. I have been doing this since Thanksgiving and I'm not bored yet, so that is a good sign.

I'm doing the Margaret Richard workouts from PBS - I record them and enjoy the variety and music.

My cardio is generally a Leslie (2 miles), a Charlene Prickett (step or low impact), and once a week I do a long walk w/ a friend of mine.

For Classical Stretch I do a recorded episode from PBS. Currently, season 6.

Definitely a good combo for me.

Donna
Old 12-10-12, 12:53 PM  
BamaTanya

Love your rotation idea, and I'm copying it. I've been using Classical Stretch along with Leslie Sansone walks and I'm getting Margaret Richard's Unplugged for Christmas. Can't wait!
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good 'n strong, margaret richard, margaret richard rotation, slump