Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-10, 03:27 PM  
dnna

I love this workout but have never done the upper body.I am working through elbow and shoulder joint problems and started this during the summer. i do 30-plus minutes of cardio and the lower body, 50 minutes of TT! For some reason I never do that last move.
Because I was working around injuries I loved being on the floor just working the lower. I was afraid at first but it really isn't so bad. Now I can do the whole thing with 3 pound weight and my lower body is really hard. Also, don't discount the ab work which is kind of simple- it really takes your ab strength up to a whole new level. I did ( and still am doing this 2-3 times a week)
love. also love getting better vhs which lets me work around my issues.
donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 10:13 PM  
videofit

I did the lower body today and was a bit disappointed. It didn't seem terribly exciting or difficult but by the end I was shaky. I don't get why she did one chapter of one inner/outer thigh + abs, then does the other leg in another chapter. It would make more sense to do both outer thighs in one chapter and both inner thighs in the other. Then in that third chapter, do calves instead of more thigh work.

During the bridge work, when she said to bring your feet closer to your hips and lift your heels, my calves kept cramping and I couldn't do it that way. Staggering the feet during bridge was a bit different.

I did like her twist on the lying quad work where you cross your leg over the other and lift and lower. I felt that.

There is one standing hamstring move that she also uses in Unplugged Vol. 1 where she staggers her feet, rests her chest on the forward thigh, then raises and lowers a dumbbell while raising and lowering her hips but never straightening either leg. I can't even finish it without a dumbbell, with my hands holding my forward ankle.

I think it would be easier to just do upper and lower on separate days than break this one up into chapters to get a full body workout (unless you were really bored). I will try to do this DVD again next weekend to see how I feel about it. I need another heavy weight DVD. I don't want it to have a dread factor, which I sometimes get with Sculpture although now Sculpture seems almost easy by comparison. Maybe because TT was new and I didn't really know what to expect.

Wonder how the DOMS will be tomorrow...
Old 01-17-10, 07:50 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I found some old posts to remind me why TT didn't work for me.

"Margaret will kill you softly. It never even looks like she breaks a sweat and you are dying. Usually in her workouts she does the reps to the beat. She doesn't in this one and I found it hard to follow. She doesn't count and the sides are not always exact. Her cueing was not up to par either. (I like Margaret, so I'm not sure what is going on here.)"

"Hmmmm, I did the TT lower body one yesterday and I'm not sure if I like it. Margaret and the setting look fantastic. The jazzy music is extremely low key.

I substituted several things for the moves that I didn't like or that felt odd. There is not much calf work.

I felt like I had smoked a doobie or something. Everything moves very slowly. Margaret seems at a loss for words here and there. She doesn't do the reps to the beat of the music like she usually does. I'm not sore at all today. (Sculpture makes me sore)."

I sold it pretty quickly.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 04:26 PM  
videofit

I agree that this seemed like a slower workout than Sculpture but I think it actually has a few more minutes of exercise than Sculpture, which has longer warmups and cool downs. At least it seems that way. I noticed a couple of times she was off the beat, which is surprising since she generally doesn't count and only listens to the music. I liked a lot of the music, especially acoustic guitar. I will keep Triple Threat because I have very few really tough workouts and need some to "grow with" and I was getting tired of Sculpture.

Today my lower body is feeling sore, my upper body is still a little sore from the previous day as well, and I am feeling tired. I've only taken one rest day since Jan. 1 so am very tempted to not do anything, but I want to do a quick 20 min. HiiT session, so I'm eating my Ezekiel toast with a tablespoon of almond butter and tablespoon of blueberry jam and a cup of tea, hoping to work out in an hour or so which should energize me. Maybe I should nap first.
Old 01-24-10, 02:15 PM  
videofit

I did Triple Threat for the second time (upper body) yesterday and will do the lower body today. I feel very sore, especially shoulders and back, but I was able to complete all the moves. I had walked for fifty minutes outside beforehand and was a bit worried I'd repeat what happened last week but I felt fine probably because I had a bit more fuel for my muscles this time -- Trader Joe's Gorgonzola crackers with their organic peanut butter.

I couln't match Margaret's poundage as I usually can with her other workouts because she goes very heavy in this DVD -- 18 lbs for biceps, for example. I think that is why this DVD seems slow to many -- because you can't go fast with heavier weights. Sculpture is tough zipping along with 3's and 5's but it works your muscles in a totally different way, so I'm glad I have two tough but complementary workouts.
Old 01-24-10, 09:23 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
... I don't get why she did one chapter of one inner/outer thigh + abs, then does the other leg in another chapter. It would make more sense to do both outer thighs in one chapter and both inner thighs in the other. Then in that third chapter, do calves instead of more thigh work.
That's what I couldn't quite get figured out in putting together a total body workout I think...I know that organization of the exercises seemed to bother me. Maybe your idea to use this as a two day split (upper/lower) is the best.

Today I took a hike with DH through some of his hunting territory and since it is hilly terrain with woods, standing trees, fallen trees...well, it was not only a great cardio workout, but a great workout for the legs...tomorrow may be an upper body day and that will be a great opportunity to give TT's upper body material a try...

Tags
margaret richards