Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-08, 10:20 AM  
michl43

Question Margaret Richard dvds

Does anyone know if there are any clips of her dvds around? I have heard so many good reviews, but have yet to see any clips. I'm an advanced beginner/intermediate... which dvd is considered the "best" if I was to buy only one? Thanks
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 11:12 AM  
bfit

I have never found any clips, and her workouts are kind of expensive so I only have one of them, but I do like it. It is "All My Best" which has short toning segments from her Body Electric TV shows. There are a lot of segments on the DVD - more than you would want for one workout I think. The difficulty can be modified depending on how heavy your weights are, whether you use ankle weights for the lower body, and so on.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 02:30 PM  
videofit

I know there used to be older clips of her at a Mexican resort on youtube.com. If I recall correctly, search for "Margaret Richard spandex" or maybe add "fitness" or "exercise" in there as well. You will see her wearing spandex about twenty years ago, doing maybe three different workouts. Enough to get a sense of her.

My favorites are Upper Body Sculpture and Lower Body Sculpture, Unplugged volume 1 and Home Improvement. As I mentioned on another thread, I hadn't worked out for two weeks while on vacation, did Upper Body Sculpture with three pound weights and dropped them and could barely continue with NO weights! I know I lost some strength but that was ridiculous. Fortunately for my ego, I did Lower Body Sculpture the following day with no problem.

Even when I'm in great shape, her workouts challenge me. Definitely worth the price. She's got a great sense of humor, too. You will be laughing through your pain!
Old 07-30-08, 02:40 PM  
KathAL79

Just wanted to add that you might like to read reviews of some of her videos to help you get started, if you haven't already.

Do you have PBS? Margaret's show airs on some (but not all) stations, usually pretty early in the a.m.
Margaret lately has been putting out compilations of her show (look under Body Electric Unplugged on the reviews for my review of one of them); you get several strength workouts of about 20-25 min. each which are very doable for someone at your level with the appropriate weight, yet you can grow by increasing your weight as you get stronger. Vol. 1 usually has the most shows on it (8 as opposed to 6), as an FYI.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 03:03 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thumbs up Margaret is sneaky...warning!

She's so low key and lady-like and keeps up this light banter...at some point I always realize I'm working harder (sometimes a LOT harder!) than I'd planned!!! She does tend to use some pretty light weights, but I often go heavier than she does; I bet she can lift much heavier than she does on those videos! She's a form freak...always about form.

Margaret does lying triceps work with her arms further back rather than straight up and down like most do...really fries the triceps!!! And her quad and glute/hamstring work is killer!!!

I love her Beauty to the Bone and Good'n'Strong dvd's. I have several other vhs tapes and her Sculpture dvd and love them all. The All My Best volumes are nice to give you a feel for her workouts since they include exercises from many of her older workouts...some look really dated

Margaret's workouts may be pricey but they are worth it. I also love her Fitness Becomes You...and need to get another copy of her Triple Threat...love the outdoor settings!!!
Old 07-30-08, 03:27 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have her first "Unplugged" and love it. She's a toughie.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 03:28 PM  
Gardengirl

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sSULC9Umq1k
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PwnBzl2ObUA

These will at least give you an idea of what her workouts are like.
Old 07-30-08, 05:49 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Wink Enabler!!!

Kath, just read your review of her Unplugged Vol 2. Thanks for such a thorough review! I've been looking to add to my collection of Margaret's...you've helped a lot!!!
Old 07-30-08, 07:26 PM  
KathAL79

You're welcome, Lydia!
I wish more people would post reviews of MR videos, even (or perhaps especially) if they're just quick little overall impressions of videos, because it seems like there's always someone wanting to know more about them - and for good reason.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 11:32 AM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp
Kath, just read your review of her Unplugged Vol 2. Thanks for such a thorough review! I've been looking to add to my collection of Margaret's...you've helped a lot!!!
I agree Kath's reviews are always worth reading since there is so much detail.

Tags
favorite margaret richard, margaret richard