Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-21, 09:50 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It is set in Greece. Yeah, I'm the same way with Melissa Hill's books. Some people are just better at writing about certain environments or genres.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 09:53 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I might have asked this before...

Who here is on Goodreads? Last year, I decided to more specifically keep track of my books (I'd done it sporadically in the past). I also joined the reading challenge and set my goal at 50; I read 55. I'm going to set my goal at 55 this year. And rereads, childrens books, etc. definitely count!

Here's the link to this year's challenge:
https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/11650

I am on Goodreads. I am Mary H.

I would like to join the discussion here. I have worked in libraries since 2002. I am not a librarian but in Administration/HR and Business manager.

I read a lot but right now mostly audiobooks. I am currently reading The Huntress by Kate Quinn.

I love all the suggestions and ideas from this group.

Thank you
Old 01-10-21, 10:14 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I read a lot but right now mostly audiobooks. I am currently reading The Huntress by Kate Quinn.
I read that book and enjoyed it. I didn't like her other book The Alice Network, but it's worth trying too, if you like this one.

Welcome to this thread. Like you, I've gotten a lot of ideas from it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 04:32 PM  
akaAnnie

Quote:
I have enjoyed the Kate Morton books I've read, so I'll probably try to get to another this year. I've read The House at Riverton, The Lake House, and The Forgotten Garden - what other books of hers do you recommend? All of the ones I've read so far have (somewhat) similar themes, so it would be nice to read something a little different of hers.

I also really enjoyed Liane Moriarty's The Hypnotist's Love Story this past year. I'd like to read another by her as well, but I've heard that her work is somewhat hit or miss. I don't like books with a lot of repeated frustrations for the reader (I think I heard that Truly Madly Guilty and The Husband's Secret were like this). Any recommendations?
ETA: Maybe Three Wishes? I'm one of three girls, so I like reading books about three sisters.
If you like Kate Morton you might like Eve Chase. I've really liked all three-Black Rabbit Hall, the Wilding Sisters and The Daughters of Foxcote Manor. I've been having trouble settling down enough to read lately but Foxcote Manor kept my interest.
akaAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 04:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I guess I am in the minority - in my Amazon review, I called Nights of Rain and Stars an enjoyable quick read and gave it 4 stars (I did say I was disappointed in the ending). I really don't remember it though!

Annie, thanks for the new author suggestion!

Kathy & Carol, thanks for the Liane Moriarty recommendations.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 09:06 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I think I should join in this thread. I've been doing a lot of reading since the summer. I always loved to read but with my work schedule I had gotten out of the habit for many years. But I haven't been working since March so I had extra time and have been reading like crazy

Right now I'm finishing up Ruth Ware's The Turn of the Key. I'm really enjoying it after a little bit of a slow start. It literally gives me chills down my spine. I've read several of her books recently and she's become a favorite along with Kate Atkinson and Louise Penny. Next up for me is an older book by Ruth Rendell, A Judgement in Stone. I think I first heard of her from an older thread here. Looking forward to it once I finish the Turn of the Key.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 09:34 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I think I should join in this thread. I've been doing a lot of reading since the summer. ...
The more the merrier!!

In a general way, it never seems to me as though I read much, but I read consistently at bedtime to unwind a bit, so my reading list for each year is pretty high, even when I don't include repeat reads of the Harry Potter books, LOL! (I read those when I can't figure out what to read and am tired of hunting around for just the right story.)

I finished reading The Curse of Chalion yesterday, toyed around with the idea of reading The Hallowed Hunt and gave it up, so picked up This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman for a re-read. If anyone likes sci-fi in space, it's a good one. I've decided to re-read before I let myself get her newest, which is a sort of sequel. (Not sure it follows directly on, but it's set in the same universe if memory serves. Alien Shore is a good stand alone story in its own right, no need to worry that you'll have to read something else to find out what happens the way you do with so many series.)
Old 01-11-21, 11:54 AM  
DD546

Hi everyone! I'm going to join in since I've been a frequent lurker here, I love to read, and I vowed to be more active on VF this year. I have more books than fitness DVDs. That's a LOT! These days I get most of my books from Thrift Stores or the library. I love actual books the most, but I have a Kindle that I use quite a lot--mostly for digital library offerings.

My current read is the new Atlee Pine book by David Baldacci "Daylight." I really enjoyed the first three, and I managed to snag this as soon as it came into the library on new digital offerings.

I have very eclectic reading tastes, but I tend to gravitate toward mystery, thriller, suspense books. I like historical fiction and books with a supernatural twist. I saw Kate Morton mentioned earlier, and I also love her books. I think I've read most of them, except the newest one The Clockmaker's Daughter.

So many books, not enough time. Kind of like workouts, but I must confess, sometimes I bail on a workout because I'm engrossed in a book and lose track of time.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 12:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Always nice to have new people chime in!

DD546, your tastes sound similar to mine. I used to not read much mystery but am now following several murder mystery series (mostly of the "cozy" variety). I've also read some of David Baldacci, mainly his Will Robie series. I also like Jonathan Kellerman's books. I used to read a lot more historical fiction, but I got fed up with the Outlander series (I think I made it to Book 7?) and some of the other historical books books I was reading (like Philappa Gregory) seemed to be getting so long-winded. I do enjoy more classic historical fiction like Victoria Holt.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 12:47 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Always nice to have new people chime in!

DD546, your tastes sound similar to mine. I used to not read much mystery but am now following several murder mystery series (mostly of the "cozy" variety). I've also read some of David Baldacci, mainly his Will Robie series. I also like Jonathan Kellerman's books. I used to read a lot more historical fiction, but I got fed up with the Outlander series (I think I made it to Book 7?) and some of the other historical books books I was reading (like Philappa Gregory) seemed to be getting so long-winded. I do enjoy more classic historical fiction like Victoria Holt.
I used to love Victoria Holt novels back in the day. She's not still writing is she? Isn't Philippa Gregory a pseudonym of hers or am I completely confused?

I also used to read more historical fiction but now I've been devouring mysteries, psychologial suspense and the like.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading