Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-24, 03:32 PM  
Camember

Chronic trochanteric pain - what workouts to do

This is the first thread I open. I hope to do it right

This month I was following an easy to do rotation to start exercising regularly again (I've been working out really irregularly for 3 years). I was very happy with my easy but doable workouts...

...But my right hip isn't happy at all. To the point that today I'm limping a bit. Three years ago I was diagnosed chronic trochanteritis or chronic trochanteric pain (I think that's how "trocanteritis crónica" is said in English, my mother tongue is Spanish, so sorry if it is not the proper term).

I was recommended taking some medicines for the pain but they didn't work at all. I had to srop doing walking workouts, cardio or several yoga postures and fitness exercises because my right hip killed me after every session.

The only thing that was useful to reduce the pain was pilates. I absolutely love pilates, so that was not a problem for me. I have many, many Stotts' and almost all 10 minute solution pilates DVDs. I have downloaded many pilates videos from YouTube (Mary Winsor, Jessica Smith, Jennifer Kries, Lucy Smith, Lucy Lloyd Barker, Lottie Murphy...).

But as I missed my fitness workouts, I tried to add a few fitness videos every week.

The problem is that if I don't do pilates everyday, my hip kills me.

So I have a few questions that I want to ask here, as if anybody can help me, it surely will be another VFer

Are there any other VFers that suffer trochanteritis? If that's the case, is there anything they can do apart from pilates that does not produce more pain?

Can I get muscle with only pilates if I have not another possibility for my workouts? Apart from 10 minute solution ones, other pilates videos tend to do little upper body exercises. May I add a short UB workout to any pilates session?

If you know UB and LB pilates specific workouts, please recommend them. I prefer YouTube workouts and I ABSOLUTELY love vintage workouts (many of them available on YT as well). Here in Spain we have very little imported DVDs (working out with DVDs is not a trend here)

I tend to do 30 minute workouts, and I have shorter ones for very busy days. I think I will need to do at least 5 minute lower body pilates for exercise every day, just for the pain. My fitness level is quite poor. I wouldn't be able to do a Cathe workout to save my life

I think full body workouts with mat lower body exercises will serve as well. They tend not to aggravate pain. I have a few Denise Austin old workouts that I think I could use, but more recommendations will be great.

What I cannot do are lunges, (I can do some squats, but not a lot), warrior 1 and 2, and triangles. They all kill my hip. Jessica Smith's walking workouts were my favourite DVDs but I had to stop using them
Camember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-24, 06:22 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I do not have any suggestions for you; I'm sure others will though! But I did want to express my sympathy to you. That sounds very miserable and frustrating. I hope that someone will be able to offer you help.
-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-24, 08:09 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

i had a severe pain in my right hip about 2 years ago. It made me limp. Not sure if it's the same kind if of problem you have. PT didn't help. I eventually got a steroid shot in my hip which cleared it up. However I'm more careful now about hip movements.
Old 03-09-24, 08:38 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Have you seen this short thread from 2020?

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=228617

Not sure if there's anything helpful there or not.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bursitis, hip pain, pain, pilates, trochanteritis