Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-20, 01:42 PM  
Verine
VF Supporter

How to unload DVDs

Does anyone know if thrift stores would accept donations of DVDs without their original cases and artwork? About 10 years ago I started storing only the discs to reduce clutter, and at the time I figured I would be using DVDs forever. Ha! I have been doing digital workouts almost exclusively for the past 3 years or so and I’m wondering what to do with the discs that I know I’ll never use. I know about the Share the Wealth thread, but I hate asking for SASE and can’t afford to send everything out-of-pocket right now.

P.S. Is anyone else in the same boat with their DVDs collecting dust?

Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 02:17 PM  
manleym

I would pay for the SASE for dvds without the case. As long as the dvd works, I don't need the case and if it's something I really want, I'd be happy to pay for the SASE.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 02:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, although I did save all the cover art and a few cases. I sent dozens out to vfers as SASEs, put multiple DVDs in one case separated by paper sleeves. The rest I gave to a friend, a single mom who lives rural and wanted to get into home fitness.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 03:21 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Not sure if you’re reluctant to ask for payment or just SASEs. I always ask for Paypal or an Amazon gift card. Too much hassle with a self-addressed stamped envelopes.

I’m sure lots of VFers would be fine getting workouts they want, case/cover art or not. I know I would.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 03:28 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
I would pay for the SASE for dvds without the case. As long as the dvd works, I don't need the case and if it's something I really want, I'd be happy to pay for the SASE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Not sure if you’re reluctant to ask for payment or just SASEs. I always ask for Paypal or an Amazon gift card. Too much hassle with a self-addressed stamped envelopes.

I’m sure lots of VFers would be fine getting workouts they want, case/cover art or not. I know I would.
I would happily pay postage and any extra you needed for the materials you used to ship it. I agree with Joni that SASEs are too much hassle.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:32 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Definitely will send SASE if I'm interested in it. Just try and see what happens...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 09:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post

I received PayPal or Amazon GCs to cover postage. I had lots of envelopes and packing materials.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 09:24 PM  
Nelly G

Just know that some of us can get not easy dvd workouts to their home like me.

So getting dvds via request the wealth really makes me happy Altough I understand that it is work for you to arrange. So know that even those dvds without a case can make someone happy and make them smile. I hope you know that the efford in that case is very appreciated. For me is a great “new” workout I got is giving me a great relaxation after a long day work of 9 hours at the hospital.

I would too happily pay postage and any extra you needed for the materials you used to ship it.
I hope my message helps you to write to give away in share the wealth. Just know that caring about each other and helping out is a great way to do something good. I try each day to help people, make them smile or let them feel great.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 09:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

some libraries take DVDs w/o the case if they want to include it in their collection - you can ask and see. as long as they are original ones.

but me too - if it's something i'm interested in, i'd send you postage or a full sase.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 10:09 PM  
carly

Goodwill will accept large DVD/CD collections in binders/catalogs. They sell them as a whole for cheap i.e. $10 to $25 for everything. I recently bought a binder of 80 CD's for $16.

I think a better charitable option would be to see if there is any women's shelters, assisted living (for easier exercises), churches with gym activities, youth programs, etc. to donate all or a portion of your collection to.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purging dvds