Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-02-21, 03:54 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I think I told you the wrong shampoo before - the one I have is this one:
https://herbalessences.com/en-us/our...-tree-shampoo/

I just purchased the conditioner, too.

Woo-hoo about getting your booster! My dad was able to get his last week. I'm going to see if I am eligible later this month as an essential worker in a health care setting (my department at the college is Student Health & Counseling).

It's a gorgeous day here, maybe one of the last ones in the mid 70s, so I went on another bike ride. It was almost 8 miles each direction (about 15.5 mi total), and I went a route I don't usually go, which offered a nice variety of more open versus more rural. I saw 3 blue herons, a fox, and a lot of other nature.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 07:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~Jessica’s Poise & Grace
~PT exercises - I’ve graduated to new ones
~Flow with Mira (YT): Spine Mobility & Stretch for Good Posture - This was nice, very gentle. Her channel looks promising, it is primarily Pilates. I’ve signed up for her Better Posture in 5 Days.
~MFML: Stretch at Your Desk - I’ve been doing some seated stretches at the end of my Essentrics classes & thought I might get some new ideas from this.

Beth - Your bike ride sounds lovely!

Paine - Congrats on getting boosted! I’ll have to look for Official Secrets. We recently watched The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch on Prime, a true story about a British spy during the Cold War. It was very good.

Margot - I think Stephen King can be an acquired taste. My fave so far is Later, one of his newer ones that isn’t too long. IIRC, both Beth & Pat are King fans.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 07:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam yes, I am a big King fan! I haven't yet read his latest, but I'm pretty sure I've read all of his novels and most of his stories. I liked Later but liked one of his earlier "hard case crime" books even better, Joyland.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-02-21, 09:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Beth - I read Joyland several years ago & really liked it. I listened to Later as an audiobook & the narrator was awesome. I wonder if SK chooses his narrators as they have all been very good.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 10:43 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end!

While I could work today, I've decided that's just a no. I'll have to work harder tomorrow, but that's an acceptable trade-off as it will be manageable. Or at least manageable as it stood when I logged off Friday evening.

Since the October thread theme is pumpkin spice, here's a link to Megan's recipe for Pumpkin Latte Overnight Oats: https://detoxinista.com/pumpkin-overnight-oats/ . I don't think I've ever made overnight oats, as I don't tend to eat a true breakfast or a ton of grains (most days I don't eat until closer to lunch time), but these might also make a nice hearty snack, especially if you stir in a spoon of nut butter or toss on some nuts. I'm thinking toasted pecans would go really well with this recipe and just happen to have a jar of pecan butter handy (OMG, this stuff is so good I could sit down and eat the whole jar with a spoon!). I occasionally order some toasted salted pecans from a family-based pecan farm, and although I don't have any on hand, those would be an easy topping. I'll keep you posted if I take the plunge. I also liked her suggestion to toss in two dates and whiz those up with the liquid instead of using the maple syrup.

Has anyone else noticed their body craving warmer, heartier foods as we move into fall? I'm definitely thinking about pumpkin, butternut squash and sweet potatoes, as well as bone broth or veggie broth for sipping or using as a soup base. I've been craving kefir or yogurt, so I purchased a jar of coconut kefir and some coconut yogurt from the Whole Wallet. They're both plain, with no sweeteners, and I have a heaping tablespoon daily. I know the people who make the kefir, as they used to come to my farmer's market. They're a really nice couple and I'm happy to see their business doing well.

Yesterday's farmer's market run was a bit disappointing. Several of my main vendors weren't there (it's that transition time when the summer crops have pretty much fizzled out, but too warm for a lot of cool weather crops to be ready for harvest), but there was a new farm that sells 100% grass-fed beef with no chemicals or hormones and it was nice to meet them. They have a relationship with another farm that has chickens and eggs, which is handy, since my main egg vendor just sold their chickens. We bought a couple of things to try. It's interesting how many vendors go into organic/regenerative farming due to a personal or family member's health concerns. I'm not a food snob, but I'm pretty fanatical as to the source of animal products and like knowing my farmers and being able to visit their farms. I was chatting with the beef farmer and he was telling me about one of their regular customers - a 10 year old who is so reactive to everything that she can only eat their beef and a couple of fruits (currently organic pears). We are subjected to so many chemicals coming at us from so many directions these days - yet another reason to buy organic when feasible.

I've let my color grow out during The Era of The COVID and have silver hair with some dark throughout (Mother Nature's low lights, perhaps? Can't beat the price! ) ). I've been using Acure Curl & Color Wellness shampoo and conditioner. I put the conditioner on and comb it through with a wide-toothed comb and leave it in until just before I get out of the shower. Since I've been boycotting the blow dryer, I also use Jessicurl Gelebration and Spiralicious, mainly so I can spritz my hair with water on subsequent days and scrunch the curls with my hands, as I only wash my hair once or twice a week. I also just use a microfiber towel on my hair, as the curly forum people feel that helps reduce frizzies. I don't know if that might also apply to grays.

Margot - I used to listen to a number of those on-line health summits, but have backed off the last year or two due to lack of time. Thanks for posting the link to Mady's full body stretch routine. I love the fact there's no talking and hope to do that later today. I noticed she also has a 15 minute stretch video, so that may be another good option to keep in my bookmarks.

Pam - I am so sorry to hear about your BIL's accident, but happy to hear that he seems to be doing well post-op. I think Adam may have a neck/shoulder practice on MFML. I'm with you for 20-ish minute work-outs so that I can mix and match - especially this time of year when I'm always short on time. My mindset used to be 50-60 minutes or bust. Now I'm happy if I can clock 20 minutes daily - interesting how that evolves.

Pat - I liked the October poem. This is the month DH will begin moaning and groaning about the leaves - especially as they blow into our yard from the various neighbor's yards. Thanks for the link to Kassandra's Aching Joints practice - I've definitely bookmarked that one, as it sounds right up my alley.

Beth - Your bike ride sounded quite nice with lots of interesting critter sightings. At least you weren't chased by renegade wild turkeys! Thanks for posting the link to Kristen's yin practice - I've also bookmarked that one. I see she also has a cranial-sacral practice - I've also bookmarked that one. I miss my massage therapist who did CST.

Paine - I'll have to ask DH if he's seen Official Secrets. He's the TV watcher here and that sounds like something he might like. You had quite the busy day yesterday. I have two huge sweet potatoes that I'm going to cube and roast with some herbs today, as well as roasting the usual haul of JSP's (which looked pretty good at my Whole Wallet).

Sandra - Reading your comment about Gail's Essentrics practice and the alleged inner-thigh focus, I was reminded of all Miranda's titles - such as Lose a Pant Size. If that was the case, as many times as I've done a practice with that name I should require suspenders to hold all my pants up these days! That most assuredly is not the case!

Has anyone done Carol Kress yoga from YT? I saw one of her practices when I was bookmarking some of the recommendations and the title was Freeing Your Hip Joints. It's an actual class and apparently Feldenkrais-focused. I bookmarked that one for later.

Thanks for all the YT class recommendations - I'm going to be busy for a while!

Hope everyone has a good week. Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 02:19 PM  
Margot

Hello everyone!

Today I did:
- Ellen Barrett Sweet 15 with weights
- Mira Shoulders & Thoracic Spine Mobility
- Jay Blahnik Equilibrium Bosu. I bought this DVD years ago and think I've only done it once. My calves feel a bit fried though after trying to balance so much on the dome!
- DoYouYoga - Yoga Twists. A 10 minute practice that Beth recommended -thank you. I really liked the routine and the instructor.
- YogiBeth Lengthen Laterally. I liked the twist you did in the gate pose and the kneeling half moon pose. Thank you Beth.

Paine - So glad you didn't suffer any more than a sore arm from your booster shot. Thanks for recommending the movie. It sounds just up our street.

Beth - I would have loved your bike ride. What a great way to get your exercise in and be in nature at the same time. Walking outside always lifts my spirits, especially when the weather is nice!

Pam - I'm enjoying Mira's channel too. I really like Benedict Cumberbatch. We saw him in 'The Imitation Game', co-starring with Keira Knightley. It was also based on a true life story, in this case of Alan Turing.

Thank you Pam and Beth for mentioning your favourite Stephen King books. I plan to check them out.

Cyana - Hurray for having the weekend off. Thanks for link to Megan's recipe. I haven't tried overnight oats either. I tend to either cook some oat groats in the slow cooker overnight or sometimes do carrot cake baked oatmeal. I made some pecan butter and walnut butter a couple of days ago. We eat loads of nuts. I agree, pecan butter and some toasted pecans would be delicious. Enjoy your coconut kefir. It sounds yummy. I make my own yoghurt. However, a few weeks ago, I decided to buy some kefir grains and make kefir yoghurt to eat alongside my homemade yoghurt. The trouble is, the grains grew so quickly, I couldn't keep up eating it all before I had to make another batch. I didn't realise how potent those little critters are! As you can imagine, I ended up with G.I. distress , so I put my kefir babies to bed for now. I haven't come across Carol Kress but thank you for mentioning her. I was into Feldenkrais back in 2017 and was only looking through my books this week, thinking I should try some of the practices again.

Waves to all! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Old 10-03-21, 03:33 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Yin Yoga with Kim Eng (Yin Yoga 2 Poses)

My 6 year old grandson lost his first tooth last night.

Beth, how fun to see the wildlife while on your bike ride.
Based on your job, I think you qualify to get the Pfizer booster now. You will have to check out the rules in your county.
Thanks for the shampoo link--I added it to my wish list. I hope you like the conditioner.

Pam, I like your avatar!
I'll have to add The Courier to my watchlist, thanks for mentioning it.

Beth and Pam, I liked Joyland too.

Cyana, thank you for the Overnight Oats recipe link.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 03:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I'm not yet 6 months past my last vaccine, which is why I thought I'd wait until later in the month; it would be past the 18th for me. But I don't even think our local grocery chain pharmacy (Wegmans, where I got the flu shot last week) will be asking for proof, so I can probably easily make an appointment. I do want to plan it for when I don't have much to do the next day since I did have mild flu symptoms after the second vaccine.

Margot, agree 100% about being outside! For me, going on an outdoor bike ride makes me feel refreshed and rejuvenated in a similar manner to yoga. Glad you liked that practice! I like the instructor too, although some practices I've tried by her are a bit too vinyasa-y for me. I bookmarked the Mira practice you did.

cyana, so glad you took the day off! It seems like your boss is not supportive, yet when you have pushed back, you have been able to set some much needed boundaries. The name Carol Kress sounds familiar, but I don't think I've tried anything by her; I definitely like the idea of a Feldenkrais based practice. This looks like a good one to try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXx1...denkraisAccess

I am always in a pumpkin mood! I have a great recipe for pumpkin cookies that I will probably make later this month. I do make overnight oats regularly; I find them very filling, and I have eaten for breakfast or lunch. I have made with pumpkin but am interested in trying the version you posted, especially since it includes coffee, too. The pecan butter also sounds delicious! Keep us posted of any recipes you try.

Be back in a bit with this week's workouts.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-03-21, 06:03 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Back with workouts for the week:

Monday
30MTF Kickboxing - Workout #2
Total Body Solution - Core, Lower Back

Tuesday
100 KB swings
TAUGHT yoga at studio
The Balanced Life Pilates with Robin Long (YT) - Refresh & Rest Challenge Day 4, Stretch & Stress Relief; Day 3, Balance & Posture

Wednesday
Action Jacquelyn (YT) - 30m Full Body Definition Barre Sculpt
100 KB swings
Yoga with Kristen (YT) - Yin Yoga Full Body Deep Stretch & Meditation

Thursday
50 KB swings
Bellyfit Embodied Goddess - #2, Flow Like Water
Yoga Ranger (YT) - Get Twisty Yoga Snack

Friday
50 KB swings
some abs on Bosu/some Total Body Solution for Lower Back
The Balanced Life Pilates with Robin Long (YT) - 3 Foam Roller Exercises for Strong Core

Saturday
Yoga with Kassandra (YT) - Yoga Stretch for Cyclists
50 KB swings
DanielPT Fitness (YT) - 35m Savage Upper Body Dumbbell Workout
15.5 mile bike ride

Sunday
100 KB swings + 20 around the world
Caroline Girvan (YT) - Kettlebell Upper Body Workout, Kick-Ass Kettlebell Series Day 1
Minderly Yoga* (YT) - Yin Yoga for a Deep Hip Stretch

*New-to-me channel. Practice was very nice except for an abrupt transition out of shavasana at the end! Looks like he has some other nice stuff on his channel, including practices with his kids.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-03-21, 06:09 PM  
cyana

Today:
ETV: 9.28.2021 "live" AB class with Jenny
MFML - Arm & Shoulder Burst - Amy Holly
MFML - Soothing Heart Relaxation - Liz Lark
YT - Full Body Stretch - Mady Morrison

I need to remember to do Liz Lark's Yinyasana practice soon - haven't done it in a while and I always enjoy that one.

Margot - I BOSU Equilibrium with Jay. Just yesterday I was thinking it was past time to dust off the old BOSU and do that one. Sounds like you have some happy kefir grains. I used to make raw goat's milk kefir and yogurt and would occasionally make a batch of coconut. I also made kombucha, but eventually had to give my SCOBYs back to the kefir people, as they were reproducing like rabbits and I was the only person here who was drinking the kombucha!

Beth - I thought the name Carol Kress sounded familiar, also. That was the practice I saw - I'm always up for doing yoga where you start out lying down, LOL!

Paine
- So did the tooth fairy come and visit your grandson? I remember wiggling my loose teeth until they would literally be dangling by a thread. I told DS I'd always help with blood and broken and bones, but he was on his own when it came to teeth. I could never work in dentistry!

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.

P.S. - I've been following Leonid and Friends around the country via You Tube videos that people in the audience have filmed and posted. Speaking of concerts - the Stones are currently touring and I can't imagine how expensive those tickets are. Did you see the story where Mick Jagger went out to a dive bar in Charlotte, NC and had a beer and no one even noticed who it was???? I thought that was funny and he was probably having a great time being able to have a beer in peace!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote