Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-15-17, 07:45 PM  
sugar rose

Can I fix a muscle imbalance on my own?

Hi everyone. When I do a lot of squats, even though I try to be careful with my form, my knee hurts afterward (not during the workout.) Just my left knee, not my right. This leads me to think there's a muscle imbalance going on. Can this sort of thing be fixed or improved at home? I'd rather not go to a PT because I did that when I had a frozen shoulder, and it was expensive and didn't help much. And this doesn't seem as serious as a frozen shoulder. I'm a low intermediate level, or even a beginner level because of various health problems.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing, any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Old 02-15-17, 08:12 PM  
Jags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Valentina View Post
Hi everyone. When I do a lot of squats, even though I try to be careful with my form, my knee hurts afterward (not during the workout.) Just my left knee, not my right. This leads me to think there's a muscle imbalance going on. Can this sort of thing be fixed or improved at home? I'd rather not go to a PT because I did that when I had a frozen shoulder, and it was expensive and didn't help much. And this doesn't seem as serious as a frozen shoulder. I'm a low intermediate level, or even a beginner level because of various health problems.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing, any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!
This dvd was very helpful to me. You can probably borrow it from your library.

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Knees-...s=strong+knees

ETA: Tracey Mallett and Chantal Donnelly did this video together, it is informative too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-5Z-VM16o
Old 02-16-17, 03:39 AM  
little bird

JB Berns claims that he healed himself of injures. I use his DVD for prevention and when I feel achy in a certain area.

https://www.amazon.com/Rehab-Your-Bo...r+body+at+home
Old 02-16-17, 05:51 AM  
donnamp

Personally, I think it would be best to go for an evaluation from a professional that you trust - just so you can be sure of what is causing the issue. Then, for sure, w/ a prescription of the proper corrective exercises you can work on it at home.

I wonder if a PT wouldn't be able to evaluate you and then give you exercises to do at home. I agree that depending on your insurance it can get expensive going to PT several times a week.

Good luck!!

Donna
Old 02-16-17, 08:16 AM  
little bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Personally, I think it would be best to go for an evaluation from a professional that you trust - just so you can be sure of what is causing the issue. Then, for sure, w/ a prescription of the proper corrective exercises you can work on it at home.

I wonder if a PT wouldn't be able to evaluate you and then give you exercises to do at home. I agree that depending on your insurance it can get expensive going to PT several times a week.

Good luck!!

Donna
I agree with this. I thought of something else. The Lotte Berk Method. If my memory serves me correctly, she was a dancer that healed herself after a motor vehicle crash.
Old 02-16-17, 01:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

no offense to doctors, but many of them are reluctant to refer you to a PT unless you've had a severe injury.

I think the resources people posted about are good starting points about evaluating what might be causing the pain.

it's not just from exercise - you'll need to evaluate how you occupy yourself the other 96% of the time. walking, sleep position, sitting posture, hip posture.... all impact knee pain.

throughout the day, assess your hip, back, knee and foot positions.

have a family member film you walking. look at the bottoms of your shoes - is the injured side more worn out than the others? do you carry a really heavy purse and/or back pack?

lots of areas to do a self-assessment.

these two books in my local library have been awesome and are good resources. both were written by PTs. VF has several threads about the Jennifer Rhodes book (Peak Performance).

Peak Performance Fitness: Maximizing Your Fitness Potential Without Injury or Strain

Walk Yourself Well: Eliminate Back Pain, Neck, Shoulder, Knee, Hip and Other Structural Pain Forever-Without Surgery or Drugs

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 02-16-17, 01:46 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
it's not just from exercise - you'll need to evaluate how you occupy yourself the other 96% of the time. walking, sleep position, sitting posture, hip posture.... all impact knee pain.

have a family member film you walking. look at the bottoms of your shoes - is the injured side more worn out than the others? do you carry a really heavy purse and/or back pack?

these two books in my local library have been awesome and are good resources. both were written by PTs. VF has several threads about the Jennifer Rhodes book (Peak Performance).

Peak Performance Fitness: Maximizing Your Fitness Potential Without Injury or Strain

Walk Yourself Well: Eliminate Back Pain, Neck, Shoulder, Knee, Hip and Other Structural Pain Forever-Without Surgery or Drugs
great suggestions. It can be tempting to just point to exercise when there's an injury, but my experience has been that (unless you experience a sharp pain while doing a particular movement) it may not be the result of any one thing. It makes sense really, because your workouts are really a small part of your overall habits/movement throughout the day.
Old 02-17-17, 05:35 AM  
nckfitheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
no offense to doctors, but many of them are reluctant to refer you to a PT unless you've had a severe injury.

I think the resources people posted about are good starting points about evaluating what might be causing the pain.

This above help, Thanks. I am taking care of a frozen shoulder right now and had to see a physiotherapist. I live in Europe so I do not HAVE to be referred to see anyone I feel competent to deal with my injury. Yes I had to stop lifting for a while and now I have resumed taking it easy of course.

One would think re-strengthening muscle is the last option to fix pains and imbalances. It is wrong! Strength training can help. Also it can be blamed even though the root of some issues is simply anatomical anomalie, bad posture etc..... Bad form while lifting can cause injury too.

Here below are some article about how to fix pains and/or imbalances.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/back...or-posture.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss26.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/...alignment.html

http://cathe.com/are-glute-squeezes-...tronger-glutes
Old 02-18-17, 05:11 PM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
This dvd was very helpful to me. You can probably borrow it from your library.

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Knees-...s=strong+knees
This DVD was very helpful for me when I was experiencing some knee issues.
Old 02-18-17, 05:51 PM  
Titus2woman

~all of you are awesome, and I just had to share it~ This is great information!

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!

Tags
jennifer rhodes