Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-24, 05:55 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Was it ever about being fit? Don’t look now….

I’m piggybacking off of hch’s post. Were gyms ever about being fit or was the impetus on being thin? Don’t look now but gyms are now buying weight loss clinics so they can offer weight loss medications to their members: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/busin...yms/index.html
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 03-23-24, 10:05 PM  
fanofladyvols

Gym owners business model is to make money by getting people to join but not actually go.

So I'm not surprised they want to piggyback on weight loss trends.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 03-24-24, 10:38 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

I agree with you about the motivation of gyms. But, I still find it shocking that gyms would buy weight loss clinics just to offer weight loss medications to their members. I don’t know what is more shocking this new pivot by gyms, diet companies offering weight loss drugs (which is an admission that their diets never worked because….shocker….diets don’t work), or CHILDREN being prescribed these weight loss medications. It’s so sad that we can’t just accept that bodies come in all different shapes. My heart breaks for all the kids living during this time period. They don’t have much of a chance to have a positive body image when everyone around them is trying to shrink themselves.

To be honest- I’m kind of disappointed that nobody else on this forum seems to care about this new pivot by gyms.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 03-24-24, 11:06 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
My heart breaks for all the kids living during this time period. They don’t have much of a chance to have a positive body image when everyone around them is trying to shrink themselves.

To be honest- I’m kind of disappointed that nobody else on this forum seems to care about this new pivot by gyms.
I guess I just felt that this isn't anything new. Gyms have been promoting weight loss and kids have grown up thinking that the only acceptable type of body is very lean for as long as I can remember.

Erica
Old 03-24-24, 11:25 AM  
buffmama

It should be about health. The solution to that isn't glitzy or overnight and doesn't get a lot of traction because it's work even if it's not that complicated. The language people use around health tells it all - mainly using judgement words (good, bad, worse), my doctor says, I don't have any problems yet, and equating stable biomarkers with health while medicated for a whole host of problems. As Erica said this is nothing new. I remember the things my doctors said when I was little. I would never let any say those things to buffboy. And I agree wholeheartedly with Gemini it is disheartening. I complain about these things daily to my family.
Old 03-24-24, 11:29 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I have a bad feeling in general on this "trend" of weight loss drugs that things will backfire because, well, don't they kind of always (remember fen-phen anyone?)? And I understand the business model of gyms, but this just seems irresponsible to me all the way around. Just my 2 cents.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
Old 03-24-24, 11:39 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:

I wonder if it's because so few on this forum use gyms...most seem to be home exercisers. So maybe a shift in gym culture or services aren't really affecting them. Just a thought.

I feel like I'm constantly trying to counteract the subtle and not so subtle appearance onslaught my daughter battles from EVERYWHERE. Self acceptance and appreciation are constantly attacked in marketing.

I will say that the hard work and daily discipline necessary for long term fitness and health isn't a particularly appealing marketing technique

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 03-24-24, 11:41 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
And I agree wholeheartedly with Gemini it is disheartening.
I absolutely agree too. It is persistent and damaging on so many levels.

Erica
Old 03-24-24, 12:06 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t think this is a good thing. Maybe it will be mostly with boutique gyms. I haven’t heard of it in my area yet.

The only potentially good thing could be that the association with a gym and possibly personal trainers, it could help people who take the prescription begin or stick with good fitness habits, if it is an integrated process. But I think that’s a big reach.

I am another who thinks these medications are probably being overprescribed and that it will backfire in some way. They are still very new drugs. A lot of people will make a lot of money in the process, though.
Old 03-24-24, 12:10 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
I agree with you about the motivation of gyms. But, I still find it shocking that gyms would buy weight loss clinics just to offer weight loss medications to their members. I don’t know what is more shocking this new pivot by gyms, diet companies offering weight loss drugs (which is an admission that their diets never worked because….shocker….diets don’t work), or CHILDREN being prescribed these weight loss medications. It’s so sad that we can’t just accept that bodies come in all different shapes. My heart breaks for all the kids living during this time period. They don’t have much of a chance to have a positive body image when everyone around them is trying to shrink themselves..
I feel for the children the most, too.

It’s a horrible problem, though. Accepting the enormous problem of childhood obesity means many children that are on lifelong medication for high blood pressure and diabetes from childhood, growing up to die from heart disease and other problems in their 30’s and 40’s. It isn’t all benign.
Closed Thread

Tags
body image, gym, gyms, obesity