Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-22, 02:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Nutrition info for seniors wanting to build muscle?

Any recs for books or websites with info on nutrition for seniors wanting to build muscle? More specifically, for senior females wanting to build muscle when doing a heavy weights rotation.

I'm not looking for recipes (cuz I hate to cook). More like the amount of protein to consume at each meal, etc.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 06:16 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Following. I'm not sure I'm taking in enough protein. I barely eat any meat or fish. I know you can still get adequate protein from a vegetarian diet but I've been leaning toward vegan because I can't eat eggs and have to limit dairy.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 08:02 PM  
donnamp

Also following....
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-22, 08:24 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Check out Dr. Gabrielle Lyon: https://drgabriellelyon.com/

She's been on many podcasts, so you could start by listening to her and see if you like what she's saying. I haven't purchased anything from her, but I know she is consistently talking about women (especially "mature" women) need to increase their protein. If you want podcast recommendations, let me know.
Old 08-08-22, 04:59 AM  
IceQueen07

I'm 57 years old and for the last 8 months have been following 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per my goal body weight. At first it was hard to get it all in, but with added protein shakes and/or higher protein foods I have been consistently hitting it while only doing strength training and I'm amazed as the difference it makes. I build everything I eat around a protein source. Take the lower end of the protein amount and build from there. Just add a little more to each meal and you would be surprised how it adds up. When I started I was hardly getting any protein in my diet. Some days I even go above that amount.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 08:03 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I read Susan Niebergall's "Fit at Any Age" book and I emailed with her a bunch. She's also active on Instagram.

She is in her mid to late 50s, and is overall a great resource for nutrition info for midlife and beyond. I'm nearing 50 and very perimenopausal and wanting to lose the weight from that. She recommended charting and counting macros, and I have done that consistently for almost a year. 25 pounds off now, and I still have that much more to go.

Since I'm wanting to lose weight first, she recommended different macros and strength training goals than someone trying to build muscle (not as much protein but enough with each meal, nutrient dense food takes precedence) but her mantra is consistency over time for anyone and not doing anything too shocking to the body and always allow proper recovery time. I still occasionally have some minor setbacks in terms of injuries or muscle tweakiness but it's been much less since I've followed her advice. Her nutrition advice for me was pretty spot on.

Her website is http://susanniebergallfitness.com/about/
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 09:33 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

On this topic, I was just at my annual dermatology appointment and asked her what I can do for my hair shedding. She said other than a multi vitamin to make sure I'm eating enough protein.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 11:32 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the recs!

(I am at a good weight for me. I just want to add more muscle mass.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 08-08-22, 11:35 AM  
prettyinpink

As we age, we need a little more protein, anyway. And then building muscle is so tough beyond a certain age, I don’t know if even more than that helps build (maintain?) muscle, or if it doesn’t make much difference. Good topic to research, I wonder if anyone has done the studies. Seems like most strength exercise is done on younger people.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 11:47 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I couldn't find any specific info for senior women, but here is some helpful general info:

Muscle Building Diet: How to Eat to Lose Fat and Build Muscle

26 Muscle Building Foods to Add to Your Diet

POSTURE CHECK!

Tags
building muscle, creatine, muscle building, muscle mass, nutrition, protein, senior muscle