Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-24, 04:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation March 2024 Focus: Posture!

It has been a couple of years since we had a Posture Focus month. I recently noticed that my posture is not up to my (admittedly impossibly high) standards. This Posture focused thread from 2022 has a lot of good information.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232576

It isn't necessarily a check-in but just a chance to spend the month with posture in mind. Awareness is so important, not just during workouts!

Anyone else need to work on their posture?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-24, 04:56 PM  
rhbrand

I need to work on my posture.

I know esp when I'm in a big gaming mood, that I slouch in my chair, and tend to push my neck forward. And I've been in a big gaming mood thanks to Baldur's Gate 3 being released this year. I need to really work on getting my neck back into place, and not slumping in my chair when I'm gaming.
Old 02-28-24, 06:05 PM  
star117

I do for sure! desk job and love to read
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-24, 08:08 AM  
Buzzer

I had a workout a looooong time ago (hard for me to say that) and she would always say "chin up, chest open, tummy tight, and tail under". It put me in pretty good posture, and although I don't own the workout anymore (it was on VHS and I sadly don't own a VHS player anymore), I still use her voice to remind me to stand up tall.

It was called gorgeous legs or something like that. Anyhow, she has improved my posture for years! I have recently been thinking of my posture and working on it, so having a month dedicated to it is what I need to do! I will enjoy all about posture month.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 11:05 AM  
SherBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I had a workout a looooong time ago (hard for me to say that) and she would always say "chin up, chest open, tummy tight, and tail under".
Great advice. I heard it in Susan Powters voice for some reason. Recently caught myself on my Ring camera and holy moly was i slumping my shoulders. Never dawned on me that I was doing it. My job in front of a computer doesn't help. I need a daily reminder
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 01:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

good reminder.

people focus a lot on their back and shoulders when they think about good posture, but please remember about positioning your head directly above your spine. doing this simple move has prevented neck and shoulder pain for me, instantly too.

with cell phone and computer use, people "hang their head" in the forward position, putting 15# of strain on your neck and shoulders.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 03:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I tell the same story in most "posture" related threads:

I saw an Oprah show many years ago about posture. They secretly filmed the studio audience waiting to see the show. Most were standing around slumping. Then, after the guest presented posture tips, they filmed them again. It was stunning how better posture made many of them look younger (and slimmer!).

Most of us carry heavy purses or bags. I wear mine cross-body and try to switch sides.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 03-02-24, 04:36 PM  
Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I tell the same story in most "posture" related threads:

I saw an Oprah show many years ago about posture. They secretly filmed the studio audience waiting to see the show. Most were standing around slumping. Then, after the guest presented posture tips, they filmed them again. It was stunning how better posture made many of them look younger (and slimmer!).

Most of us carry heavy purses or bags. I wear mine cross-body and try to switch sides.
Can you imagine how slumped they would be now? With the advent of cell phones/computers in your hands, everyone is always creating more slumped postures by constantly typing and looking at their phones. I'm sure the show would be 100x worse today!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 04:38 PM  
MissBliss

Thumbs up Awesome

Fabulous idea, love the thread you linked! Great resource, I’m in!
MissBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-24, 03:03 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I feel I've been doing a good job of keeping good posture in mind. I actually got a compliment on my posture the other day.

How is everyone else doing?

POSTURE CHECK!

Tags
posture, posture check