Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-22, 09:32 AM  
tlchello

Sweat- can I be frank?

I need someone to tell me this is normal and will pass....please!!!!! lol

I was in perimenopause for quite a long time and have been through menopause now for about 2 years. I had horrible hot flashes and temporarily went on HRT but then stopped (not really sure why I stopped).

Anyways, about 4 years ago, I started having issues with overheating and sweating. The first time it happened, we were out walking in the summer and it was super hot and after a few minutes, my shirt was soaked AND my pants looked like I had pee'd them. I had never experienced anything like that before.

Fast forward to present day and I STILL sweat profusely on my back and in the groin area and in my (ahem..sorry for TMI) butt crack. My thighs also sweat. I ended up buying "leak proof" underwear and use Carpe body products (powder and lotion) and it helps in social situations but I have definitely limited my social interactions because of the anxiety this is creating.

Anyone else have this issue? Is it related to menopause? Will it end? I will admit that my body weight is the highest it has ever been and I am working on that. I do think losing weight will definitely help, but this sweating started even before I had these extra pounds.

Agggghhh....I can't wait for Fall.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 09:37 AM  
alisoncooks

My back and “underwear area” are where I sweat most profusely. Always have been. I recently lost 30 pounds and, sadly, I sweat as much as ever. I don’t have any suggestions, but I’m going to look into some of your coping ideas! I’m currently RV-camping with my family — it’s blazing outside and I’m changing my underclothes multiple times a day. Whew!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 09:43 AM  
tlchello

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
My back and “underwear area” are where I sweat most profusely. Always have been. I recently lost 30 pounds and, sadly, I sweat as much as ever. I don’t have any suggestions, but I’m going to look into some of your coping ideas! I’m currently RV-camping with my family — it’s blazing outside and I’m changing my underclothes multiple times a day. Whew!
Ugh...it's horrible, isn't it?

Definitely try the "period underwear". I got two different brands/styles from Amazon and they have helped me at least be able to go out in public for short periods of time without worrying about having a wet spot on my butt.

The Carpe products are also good as an additional layer of protection. But I still limit my time around others because of this. I think the anxiety related to this issue is probably also adding to the sweating....vicious cycle.

I am surprised to hear you have always had this issue. Mine definitely only started during perimenopause/menopause, which is why I was hoping it was hormone related and would resolve eventually. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-06-22, 10:21 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
I am surprised to hear you have always had this issue. Mine definitely only started during perimenopause/menopause, which is why I was hoping it was hormone related and would resolve eventually. Fingers crossed.
I know for certain my lower back has always been my sweat zone. I don’t recall (in my youth) having it be so heavy in the other lower areas though — I played sports in high school and I don’t remember ever having to change my underwear because of heavy sweat. I’m 42, so maybe I am just hitting perimenopause (some irregularity with my cycle)….
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 10:45 AM  
Vantreesta

I'm 46 but I've been sweating heavily in those areas for many years. I wasn't active as a kid so don't remember back then but as an active adult yeah, I sweat through clothes when hiking and working out otherwise.

We went for a nature walk this morning (state park but it's more like the city parks and way too easy for me to call a hike). Temp was 73 and humidity was 90%. Everything I had on was soaked. I told hubby I need a coat tree bc I have sweaty clothes hanging all over to dry.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 10:48 AM  
kat999

I've always had this issue, even as a teen. It was probably worst in my twenties, in fact, and now that I'm in perimenopause it's actually gotten slightly better, weirdly enough. I used to sweat so much in my butt area that I basically started only wearing dark jeans, skirts, and black pants. Gray pants in particular were a problem; I remember once being at some kind of work function wearing a really nice pair of gray dress pants and a woman came up to me and whispered that she thought I'd gotten my period. It turned out I had just sweated a tiny dot into the very back of my pants. I still remember that, and while I know she did it out of kindness, there was also literally nothing I could do other than will it to dry and will myself to stop sweating. I tend to sweat not just out of warmth but out of anxiety, embarrassment, public speaking, you name it. Basically when I am existing in a professional setting, I stick to wearing clothes that will hide it. And I do think that after some certain point in my life, I kind of stopped caring for some reason, which also ironically helped it not be as bad? IDK. I did at some point have a subconscious realization that every human being sweats, that it's not the most embarrassing thing that could happen, and if I want to be active, that means being sweaty sometimes. For deodorant, I use Degree, I use a little body spray, and I think fortunately my sweat is never actively super smelly (and when it happens not from exercise, it's also not nearly as much as I fear). Very occasionally I'll use a little Burt's Bees powder on areas that are prone to sweat more. But otherwise, I just put on something black, layer up, and try not to worry about it.

I do think if it's super excessive, one treatment is Botox. My palms used to sweat a lot, for example, and I really considered that, but over time that just kind of stopped being as much of a problem. I know other people do swear by that, however, and unlike Botox that you get in your face, it may be covered by insurance because excessive sweating is seen as a medical issue.
Old 08-06-22, 11:46 AM  
tlchello

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I've always had this issue, even as a teen. It was probably worst in my twenties, in fact, and now that I'm in perimenopause it's actually gotten slightly better, weirdly enough. I used to sweat so much in my butt area that I basically started only wearing dark jeans, skirts, and black pants. Gray pants in particular were a problem; I remember once being at some kind of work function wearing a really nice pair of gray dress pants and a woman came up to me and whispered that she thought I'd gotten my period. It turned out I had just sweated a tiny dot into the very back of my pants. I still remember that, and while I know she did it out of kindness, there was also literally nothing I could do other than will it to dry and will myself to stop sweating. I tend to sweat not just out of warmth but out of anxiety, embarrassment, public speaking, you name it. Basically when I am existing in a professional setting, I stick to wearing clothes that will hide it. And I do think that after some certain point in my life, I kind of stopped caring for some reason, which also ironically helped it not be as bad? IDK. I did at some point have a subconscious realization that every human being sweats, that it's not the most embarrassing thing that could happen, and if I want to be active, that means being sweaty sometimes. For deodorant, I use Degree, I use a little body spray, and I think fortunately my sweat is never actively super smelly (and when it happens not from exercise, it's also not nearly as much as I fear). Very occasionally I'll use a little Burt's Bees powder on areas that are prone to sweat more. But otherwise, I just put on something black, layer up, and try not to worry about it.

I do think if it's super excessive, one treatment is Botox. My palms used to sweat a lot, for example, and I really considered that, but over time that just kind of stopped being as much of a problem. I know other people do swear by that, however, and unlike Botox that you get in your face, it may be covered by insurance because excessive sweating is seen as a medical issue.
Yes!!! The little dot of sweat at the back happens to me frequently but that is now helped with the "period panties". I do also notice it more not just with the heat but anxiety or nervousness.

Again, I hope it is hormonal and temporary for me since I didn't have it all my life. Fingers crossed.

It is comforting a little to know I am not the only one though.
Old 08-06-22, 12:31 PM  
sbh

I had a full hysterectomy when I was 42. No HRT, I just rode it out. I literally was a sweaty mess for about 8 years. My hair, under my nose, armpits, under my breasts. I had my hair cut super short because it always looked wet, stopped wearing makeup, wore my clothing looser, carried around a hand fan, and still sleep with a fan blowing on me. I am so glad that is all over with. It's been 18 years and now I feel great. I gained 45 pounds during that 8 year period. I did drop 35 and have been struggling to get that 10 off. Hang in there!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 12:33 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
Yes!!! The little dot of sweat at the back happens to me frequently but that is now helped with the "period panties". I do also notice it more not just with the heat but anxiety or nervousness.

Again, I hope it is hormonal and temporary for me since I didn't have it all my life. Fingers crossed.

It is comforting a little to know I am not the only one though.
You're absolutely not alone. I'm glad period panties help. I hadn't even thought of that as a possible solution! For the anxiety and nervousness, I also try not to have too much coffee if I have to do something stressful, and that seems to help.
Old 08-06-22, 12:35 PM  
tlchello

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I had a full hysterectomy when I was 42. No HRT, I just rode it out. I literally was a sweaty mess for about 8 years. My hair, under my nose, armpits, under my breasts. I had my hair cut super short because it always looked wet, stopped wearing makeup, wore my clothing looser, carried around a hand fan, and still sleep with a fan blowing on me. I am so glad that is all over with. It's been 18 years and now I feel great. I gained 45 pounds during that 8 year period. I did drop 35 and have been struggling to get that 10 off. Hang in there!
YES! I am hoping mine is hormonal...and seeing as it only started during hormonal fluctuations later in life, it seems signs point to that.

I am definitely trying to drop the weight and get myself as healthy as possible to see if that will help at all. Being at a healthy weight is only a good thing regardless.

Tags
sweat, sweating