Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-22, 07:14 PM  
rhbrand

Les Mills on Demand users, Question

So now that I have good internet again, I signed up for Les Mills on Demand.

So what are some of your favorite workouts? I want to try and branch out more. I probably won't go a lot of their spin workouts cause I love my Peloton, but I really want to try more barre, yoga etc.

But I have zero idea where to start.
Then looking through the site, I see they have a Strength Development series, so I was wondering if anyone had done any of them.

I'll take any recommendations I can get!
Old 08-09-22, 04:59 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Me too! Me too!

I'm going to be following this thread (and add to it if I can!)
I got Les mills on demand for a year. (a bargain I couldn't pass up).

I went to the website and was pretty overwhelmed. I got digging around the next day. I will admit, I have been spoiled by Peloton's 10-20 mins. strength workouts and those are what I like. Gone are the days of wanting to do 45-60 mins. strength workouts, so some seem quite daunting. Then again? If I have time and like the music, I might be fine. (Don't get me wrong, I still string along 2, 3, 10 workouts at once so I end up working out for quite a while, it's just a "chunk" of 60 mins. is daunting to my brain!!!)

I did print out the "optimal mix" (soooo much content to dig through - couldn't really even find the cycling ones till I did a search. Not that I've done/tried any as I'm pleased with Peloton!) anyway ...

The Optimal Mix
calendar is 3 workouts a week (and if I remember correctly the workouts are on the shorter side) . I have to go back and mark them with the time. Seems to be a sampling of several of the workouts.

So, I'm following this thread and hope we have some suggestions from people. There has to be people out there doing LMOD ..... Please?

For me? I would prefer workouts WITHOUT any burpees ... but I can modify!
Thanks in advance,
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-22, 02:30 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Unhappy

{Disregard purple frown at top; I don't know how to get rid of it ...}

I'm a HUGE fan of LMOD!!! (Disclaimer: my subscription is free, through my supplemental Medicare insurance plan.)
I use the app primarily. There is an "old" app and the "new" one. On the FB group, most folks prefer the "old" app, but the "new" app lets you play individual tracks of the workouts. I use that feature a lot.

Every.single.morning I do some BodyCombat. Maybe just the Upper and Lower Warm-up tracks and a Combat track or so for a 15-20 min wake-up cardio; sometimes the full 30-minute version. I'm gradually working up to a full :55 BodyCombat class. One thing I really like, besides the fact that I can pick & choose individual tracks, is that each release has multiple versions, usually a 30 min, 45 min, the full 55 min, sometimes Upper Body focus, sometimes "cardio blast" focus.

I'm also currently in love with BodyPump - but I'm using it just to boost my endurance. I still continue to do a traditional strength training program. Like BodyCombat, you can pick & choose tracks (as long as you're using the "new" app). The full 55-minute version has 10 tracks I believe: warm-up; squats; chest; back (rows, deadlifts, clean & press); triceps; biceps; lunges; shoulders; core; cool-down. The 45-min version of each release has the warm-up; squats; chest; back; and core - but has a separate track for a combination of lunges & shoulders, and a combo biceps/triceps track. For awhile I was using the "Metabolic Blast" version - warm-up; squats, back, lunges, chest.

The new Strength Development program looks awesome, but I'm not following it yet. #1 and #2 are "foundation" workouts; I thought they were good. But - the goal is "heavy" training, in the 6-8 rep range. But they superset front squats and back squats, with only about 20 seconds in between sets. You do 4 rounds. I don't think there's much difference between front squats and back squats, so basically you're still doing 64 "squats" with only 20 sec rest after every 8 squats. I don't consider that heavy weight training, that's still endurance. #3 and #4 are meant to alternate, but when I pre-viewed them, it looks like a lot of tri-sets, again back to back rounds of back squats & fronts squats. So I haven't done those. I'm sure at some point I'll go back to Strength Development & take what's useful. Because some moves / circuits are creative and fun.

I want to do more of Core. It's more than ab and back work. There's a lot of rotator cuff / scapular work and "floor" work for the glutes & hips.

Some other cool features:
  • During the pandemic, and they still continue, they release 3-4 "Trainer Series" workouts each week. Some remain on the app; some go away after the week. These are low-production, 20-minute, bodyweight workouts - just the instructor, no music. Very fun & useful to fit in some activity during the day.
  • There are a ton of "Hybrid" workouts !!! These are a combo of tracks from various programs. For example, a 45-minute workout may be 3-4 tracks of BodyCombat, 1-2 tracks from BodyPump, maybe 1-2 tracks from Barre, 1-2 tracks from Core, and wrap up with 1-2 tracks from "Body Balance" - their version of Yoga.
  • Similar to the Trainer Series, they also recently did a 3-4 week "BootCamp" challenge, all bodyweight, about 30 min. Those workouts went away after the challenge, but they just announced they are re-releasing the Challenge.

Except for a few Barre tracks I've done in a Hybrid workout, I haven't really tried Barre (even though I'm a dancer); haven't done any of the bike workouts; haven't done the dance workouts; I don't care for their yoga; tried Grit or Body Attack - can't remember which one, but that was too intense for my fitness level right now.

I absolutely love it! I probably do something from LMOD twice a day. (My DVDs are getting dusty ... )

Do post if you have questions, and I'll do what I can to answer.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
les mills on demand