Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-09, 05:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

jessica smith

a new used book/dvd store opened up recently and i was very surprised to find Abs Diet for Women DVD in there, so i grabbed it quick.

i've been wanting this DVD forever, but just got sidetracked away from ordering it. i already have and enjoy her Women's Health Train for Your Body Type DVD.

here's my quick impressions:

the segment that stands out the most here is the cardio one. WOW. i did 2 other segments that precede this one, and those first 2 were ab toning segments. it was OK, but i was getting a bit worried because those 2 segments weren't as exciting (i kept comparing it to the Abs Diet w/Tom Holland and Abs Diet 2 w/Terry WhatsHisName, which are good workouts).

back to the cardio segment. lucky i had my rebounder out because it is definitely a "jumping" segment. my HR was definitely in the zone and above it. she's got you moving a lot in this 20 minute segment.

these first 3 segments total 30 minutes. i have yet to do the strength training, yoga and pilates segments, and will report back.

it's chaptered and has a menu where you pick the segments you want.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 06:22 PM  
YogaGal

Thumbs up

I have that workout and agree about the cardio workout--it packs a lot into a short time! I like doing intervals and this dvd really gives you enough time to rest in between. Jessica has another similar dvd with interval cardio (Women's Health: Train for Your Body Type), but it seems like you only have a few seconds to catch your breath before moving into the next interval. I like both dvds, but prefer the cardio on the Abs Diet workout. The other nice thing about both dvds are that two other people show you advanced and less intense options. I usually keep up with Jessica or modify with the less intense option.

The strength segment is also good. It's a short, but effective tone up with weights.

Glad you found this dvd; I think it's a great workout with a lot of variety.
YogaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 06:50 PM  
lindseylu8

I like Jessica Smith alot! I have eyed this w/o for some time.Thanks for posting!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 07:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i have yet to do the strength training, yoga and pilates segments, and will report back.
i finally did these last 3 parts and all together it clocks in at 25 min.

the strength training is around 15 min and works the entire body. it has a very brief warm up, like around 2 min. nothing to write home about. she states in the beginning that she's going to use 5# DBs and the other 2 women will be going w/3# DBs.

i used 8# and it was fine. she has moves for shoulders, lower body (lunges), etc. there's some push-ups. i honestly can't remember what the moves were, but had i done this after/before the cardio workout, they would work well together since the weights section is not as intense as the cardio.

the pilates and yoga barely cover much with 5 minutes apiece. i'd say that the 2 earlier abs segments are slightly more intense than the pilates.

yoga was again not too memorable, although it's more like a nice stretch segment after having done the weights.

when i do this one again, i'd do the 2 abs segments, the cardio, and then the toning for a 45 min workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs diet for women, jessica smith, women's health