Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-30-21, 07:17 PM  
Helen

Every Day in OCTOBER - Join us for your 90-day challenge - you KNOW you WANT to!!

THEME: Take the Challenge!

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU
(but don't kid yourself about it either)

Join us to see out the year by taking on the CHALLENGE for the last 90 days of 2021.

NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:
EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 08:11 PM  
Helen

Monthivation strikes again...

Lurkers pondering joining - yes, it can feel like trying to join an ongoing private conversation - we've been together for years, but hey - but jump in anyway!!! We were ALL new to this checkin once, but we dove on in.

Friday, 1st October
Need to be less ambitious about my to-do list as NOT getting to the final round makes me feel like a failure. ACHIEVABLE goals - isn't that what the psych. experts say?

Here's the (smaller) list for the 1st:

Wipe down dust from obvious horizontal surfaces (done)
Mop upstairs
Walk Alice
Jump

One cactus (tend/weed/repot)
30 min lesson videos

My personal 90-day challenge =
1) Complete one Cathe Chrono workout every 3 days - that is achievable.
2) Drop 15lb; 15/90 = 0.16/day = 1.16/week - that is achievable.
Stopping there. Modest goals are more likely to get done.

The first will help with the second. Yeah, I KNOoooooW weight loss is about diet, but (hear me out): When I exercise more, I'm mentally stronger diet-wise, with the "don't waste the workout" type of thinking when I'm in the kitchen.

Happy October!!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-01-21, 04:36 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need my arrow

and 90 days? I can do 90 days .....

Helen: I will join you. I like the way you broke it down to 1.16 lbs. (and put it in pounds for us Americans!!!!!) I need the nudge and accountability. I'm floundering. I'm not miserable, but I'm not where I want to be either. Soooooooooooooooooooo ..... I join you. I'm committing. Period. September as the new year did not fare well for me. Ooops?!? Like I said, I'm floundering --- but not miserable.

I really hope any lurkers and newbies pop in here. It is nice to see fresh faces come and join us!!!!

I need "modest" goals also as I tend to go on and on and on. (Ya think??)

I don't know what those modest goals are. But, I'll figure it out.

Now I have my arrow, I've got some accountability ..
And I can't believe it's October.

Let's get 'er done!
I'll be back later to check in after I actually DO a workout!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 06:58 PM  
Helen

CLEDA
I'm not a fan of athletic HIIT drill-style myself. Burpees, tuck jumps, air jacks... blech, but I do them if they're in the workout. Cathe has shifted more in that direction over the years.
So glad you're embracing the 90-day challenge idea! Lets help each other with the floundering. I'm feeling the same.
__ Pounds - I do still prefer stone+pounds, but getting used to kg as DH REALLY wants all the scales in kg.

LILI
THANKYOU!! for joining the daily step thing!! Had you not, I would probably NOT have done the late-night walk. Not sure if it ends at midnight in eveyone's local time, or in the local time of where it started. Guess we'll find out - either way, it's still a 24-hr period, but the former would set a goal for you to chase to beat us (that was my hope for you). My sister 'plays' it - deliberately doesn't synch during the day so I can't see her steps, then BAM! - synchs and wins.

My start for the month
The 1st didn't go so well. The silence/lonely set in, and a thunderstorm had me watching TV on the couch mid afternoon whilst firmly cuddling Alice to calm her shakes & heavy panting. Also, DH & Bridget won't be home on Sunday, but it'll be Mon (more likely Tuesday).

At 10pm noticed I hadn't even made my step goal, and it's the FIRST of the month !! and Lili DID join our daily step challenge so walked from 10:30pm to midnight to make it. (goal is 14k, made 16k) Drove down to the harbour which is well lit and has a couple of night-clubs - not bustling (lockdown) but still plenty of people about.

NOW rambling musings ..... feel free to ignore
Saturday morning, with coffee, and rose at 8:30 (better, for me) Yeah, that's the middle of Cleda's day but she's probably in bed before I have dinner.

No list today - it's the last weekend of holidays, so doing what grabs me. It was pointless mopping the downstairs floor - looks JUST like it did before - obvious paw-prints, but I suppose there is less sand/grit to go with them.

Saturdays are a good day to hit the foreshore again - Alice loves all the people about, and with lovely weather, people have been out and about in droves lately ! picnics, push-bikes, families at playgrounds.... That kind of contact might bouy me up - and maybe a podcast.

Interestingly - I grew up with the TV on before I got up & on all day. Mother didn't sit & watch it much, but said the sound of it was a kind of company for her. Maybe she had the same thing I do - not doing well alone in silence - maybe just alleviating the SILENCE will help. Today's mission - fill the day with voices: music/podcast, .... see if it makes a difference.

GOALS
This morning saw me 0.1kg (0.2lb) down, so
Fri 1st = weight goal achieved ; step goal achieved; workout goal, well... 2 out of 3... :sing:
TODAY:
1) Ensure that I'm down another 0.2 lb (0.1kg) in the morning
2) Crack the next Cathe Chrono by the 3rd, 6th, 9th, ... FIRM DATES!

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-02-21, 09:30 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Helen: I can't do the multi-quote posting thing, but you made me laugh and almost spitter my coffee out on the keyboard when you said that you rose at 8:30 (the middle of my day!!!) ha! And here I slept till 9:00 a.m. today (don't fall over!) ... Then my brain said, "her time? My time ..." oh let it go. I can't do the -.2 or whatever per day as my body is wacky. I can lose several pounds, gain several pounds, all depending on what i eat. Silly as it sounds. It would set me up for failure.

My dh ALWAYS has a tv on. He likes the background noise. DRIVES ME CRAZY. but it's what he does. I like the silence (sometimes). He has tenitis from years of working with loud, heavy equipment and loud banging music ....so the background noise kinda drowns it out. That's his story at least.

That's not nice what your sister does. Doesn't make it as much fun (at least in my mind) for a step challenge. cuz how can you know what you are chasing??? Not nice at all. (I would end up not doing the challenge! but that's me.)

My first day didn't go well either. I just can't seem to get a handle. But, on the positive side, despite wanting to go get a pizzaria pizza, I did NOT. So kudos to me. baby steps. I suppose I just have to keep at it.

Waves to Lili and all!

On to my quick workout for yesterday:

10/1/2021: Peloton Barre workout with Hannah Corbin, 20 mins. Row for the Commit to Fit Challenge. (Week 3 is done!)

That's all folks.
Off to plan my day.
Cleda
Old 10-02-21, 05:44 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - thanks for inviting me to join your daily challenge. As far as I can tell, the day ends for me around 9am. I am guilty of not syncing my Fitbit very often, but I will try and do better. That way I know what goal I'm chasing and so do you.
Cleda - I know what you mean about the Stepbets, but you were doing them back to back for a really long time. I always gave myself at least a few months between bets. I decided against this one, partly because when I checked again, my numbers had gone up even more!

10/1 - 30 Min. 80's Ride w. Bradley Rose (really enjoyed this one).
10/2 - dog walk followed by a solitary 2.5 mile walk.

Friday I had lunch with 3 ladies I went to school with, 2 of them neighborhood chums. I hadn't seen the one lady since graduation, and it's been 4 years since I've seen the other 2. We had a nice lunch at an outdoor location. I went from there to my daughters house, since I was so close, and walked with her to pick up her kids from school. While I was there, I tried her Peloton bike to see what the different resistances felt like, and I think I have been going heavier than I needed to.

I have fallen into another motivation slump. I like Helen's idea of mini goals, so much more achievable. I will sit down tonight and plan my week with some mini goals thrown in. A 90 day challenge is great! Now, to figure out what that will entail.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 07:43 PM  
Helen

So glad you both like the 90-Day Challenge notion - to see out the year.

CLEDA
• Wow! Not up until NINE? You must have needed it.
• As to my sister 'gaming the game' - I think of it as a Dutch auction. I'm not actually CERTAIN she does it deliberately - maybe she just doesn't live with her phone the way I do, to auto-synch. It doesn't annoy me any more, but it used to. I've never even bothered to ask IF it's deliberate, I just made an assumption. Sorry you thought ill of her because of it.
• Baby steps still mean positive progress. I've been hankering for potato-chips lately.
• You're STILL doing a Challenge though - you LOVE them! How did you find Barre? I wouldn't have thought it was your preferred kind of thing.
• Weight - I'm usually up and down all over the place too. The 0.1 0.2 business may set me up to fail as well.... dunno..... but it's a modest goal & if I don't make it, hoping I'll be extra vigilant the next day to get back to where I'd have been if I DID make it. We'll see....

LILI
• A solitary walk?! Without a dog?! How COULD you?!
• Hope the late sister-synch doesn't bother you. Don't make mental work out of it endeavouring to synch regularly throughout the day. With a 9am "finish" you have the morning to play catch-up . Sorry it isn't set up for everyone's local midnight to end. Wouldn't be hard to do, coding wise. Could be a setting to choose :
1) end at the same moment for all (midnight of challenge creator)
2) end at midnight in players' local time-zones
• See how you go for a bit - if you want to stop - don't hesistate. ZERO pressure!! We've known each other too long for discomfort to get involved, ok?
• Same (no pressure) on the 90-day challenge, but glad you like the idea. Your 'beast-mode' pushups went well. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Saturday, 2nd Oct
I DID try yesterday, to have voices around, by playing podcasts, and I was in a GREAT mood at buddy workout time and definitely more productive during the day. Shall stick with it - only two more days (1 sleep) - they're home Monday evening.

Noonish?
Did another Gym Box - Ashli step workout, since her "great choreography" one WAS good. Her cues are impeccible! But this one wasn't complex, but that let me play with Alice/rope with more enthusiasm
Afternoon
Beach trip with Alice, but rain send us home.
Evening
Buddy Day = Cathe - LITE - Cardio Party - Timesaver Mix 10 (2 rounds)

GOALS:
Weight - yes, passed the 0.16
Chrono - TODAY is the 3rd, so need to do Pyramid Lower Body
Steps - yes, made goal of 14k

Sunday - end of holidays. Monday is public holiday, then back remote teaching for a month, so still at home all day at least.

Hope everyone has a lovely day, and charges up for the week ahead.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-03-21, 05:29 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Helen: Ok, that sounds better. . . I never even thought that some people didn't auto-sync. But now that makes sense. (and since you never got clarification on it, I'll go with that.) Come to think of it, I don't sync my Zip cuz it interferes with my one I use at night to track sleep. (I just haven't taken the time to figure out why. and frankly? May never!)

As for Barre? I like what it does for me. It's tough too. I just don't make the time to do it. It reminds me of Joannie Greggains and exercises I did early on (in the 80s?) ... that really target my hips and outer thighs. I am a pear, so they work great! Oh and it was on the calendar for a strength program I am doing, so I did it. (You'll see other stuff pop up this month too - foam rolling, some restorative yoga, audio walks, etc.) Variety you know!

Lili: yep! I didn't take any breaks. I did them forever and probably will never do one again. I don't even care about steps any more. How's that? Yes, I wear a tracker, cuz I want to know where I'm at and now have to log them for my nutrition program. (I had typed an entire add on to this, but deleted it. Yowsa!!! I need more coffee. Sounded VERY cranky! ) Bradley Rose is one of my (new) favorites. Just adore him!!

Cody Rigsby (a Peloton instructor) is on Dancing With The Stars this season. First his partner Cheryl Burke got covid, so they weren't on the show last week and now Cody has it (for the second time).

I suppose I should clarify: I'm not in active challenges (as in Power Zone), but I am following some schedules and doing things for badges. Much nicer for me. The calendar for strength is a month long. I had to (already) play catch up yesterday! Only because it was the start of the new month. They offer 3 separate workouts for each day, one can do 1, 2 or all 3. You know I like to try and do all 3. Sometimes, time does not permit or I'm not in the mood, but that's silly! Just do it. None are *that* long. :: slaps forehead :: the longest is 20 mins. So, that's an October focus for me.

I have one more week of the rows for the badge. I completed week 3 early on this week. So I've taken a couple days off from rowing. But will be back at it by Monday. I do like doing a minimum of 20 mins. each session and then doing it 4x a week. Seems like a nice balance. (Too many workouts, not enough days).

Ok, so here is the check in:

10/2/2021: 30 mins. Low Intensity ride
with Bradley Rose, 10 mins. Core with Olivia, 20 mins. Glutes & Legs with Chase, 10 mins. Core (with bands) with Hannah Corbin, 10 mins. Arms & Light weights with Emma Lovelwell, 20 mins. Upper Body with Daniel McKenna

I'm all caught up now and ready to go into my Sunday schedule!

That's it for now!
Cleda
Old 10-03-21, 06:48 PM  
Helen

Just pulled up the FitBit App, and it was sitting on 500 steps. It definitely doesn't auto-synch throughout the day. Swiped down to synch, and jumped to 10,985. Under my 14k, but it's only 10pm.

Soooo.... Sunday. Was supposed to do Cathe's Pyramid Lower Body for chrono today, but buddy wanted to do Les Mills Body Pump and I'd be silly to do both the same day. Tomorrow will do, & still aim for the next one on the 6th.
Oh dear.... the next one is....
The Terminator - Imax Extreme.
The 3 terminator workouts finish off the Intensity Series

Sunday
54min, Les Mills Body Pump 110 (outdoor settings - mountains, lake, cliff-tops = quite lovely. With buddy.
30min brisk walk, with Alice.

OMG she's so much more social than I! The joyfully ran from group to group saying hello to everyone. All the parks near home were crawling with groups of people picnicing! No comment about current lockdown rules - keeping it positive.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-04-21, 04:46 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Since it's Monday and the day(s)/week can get away from me.

10/3/2021: 20 mins. walk on the tread with Selena to 90s music (i think), 45 mins. Pentatonix ride with CDE **, 30 mins. Reflection ride CDE, 10 mins. cool down ride with Bradley Rose, 10 mins. Foam rolling with Hannah Corbin (Quads & Hamstrings), 20 mins. Focus FLow Floor Yoga with Denis Morton (blech).

** This ride had been dubbed a holiday ride. I remember doing it before and was disappointed as there was only a couple/few holiday songs. Mostly regular songs. This time around? I knew that and was happy with it just being a "ride". It's all about expectations and attitude. So I adjusted mine and made the ride more fun than the first time!

I still don't care for yoga. But it is done and onward I go.

Make it a agreat week.
Cleda