Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-21, 08:32 AM  
donnamp

That is so funny, I really enjoyed The Madness of Crowds!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 09:14 AM  
Erica H.

Hmm...I have The Madness of Crowds on my TBR list - maybe I'll pass.

I just finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and mostly liked it but there were some parts that dragged on for me and others that really irritated me. Now I'm reading What Happened To You?: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing. It's good but I find it's upsetting/triggering and maybe not the best thing for me to read.

I've been reading a lot but most of what I've read recently have just been duds for me. I don't know if it's my cranky mood or if I really didn't like them. Here's what I read recently and didn't care for

Walking on Eggshells: Navigating the Delicate Relationship Between Adult Children and Parents (just okay)

Milk Fed

Almost Anorexic: Is My (or My Loved One's) Relationship with Food a Problem? (I think I was mixed on this one)

The Food of Love

Gabrielle Union books are coming in from the library today along with some others I'm looking forward to.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 11:12 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Stayed up late to finish The Madness of Crowds. The ending dragged out like crazy, and the story wobbled all over the place. Not her best work.
I enjoyed it, but agree that it dragged on a bit & isn’t her best work. Perhaps she’s running out if material…

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 11:15 AM  
BunnyHop

I just took Madness of Crowds back to the library for someone else to enjoy.

The hold queue is pretty long, so I'd bet someone will enjoy it soon.
Old 09-18-21, 11:22 AM  
Izzy

I finished The Last Bookshop in London which I really liked and finished Dear Mrs. Bird which I really didn't care for. A few weeks back I started James Lee Burke's Another Kind of Eden and I really love his books. I am about half way through.
Old 09-19-21, 08:31 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
If you like a mystery series with a little historical fiction thrown in I have started reading the Verity Kent series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/193...kent-mysteries

The cover art reminds me of Maisie Dobbs - which I also enjoy!

My Library has them for digital loan - I'm not sure if they have physical copies. Since the pandemic, I have not been to the library - I just borrow everything on my Kindle!

Donna
I've never of this author/series. Thanks.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 07:59 AM  
CabCalloway

Being a man over 60 I find it funny to admit that lately I have been reading the original Nancy Drew mysteries. As a young person I was steered towards the Hardy Boys which I devoured back then, but later learned that the two series were in fact written by the same group of writers.

Anyway, whenever I'm in a used bookstore or at a tag sale and find one I buy it. They are as delightful to me today as the Hardy Boys were back then.

Better to be late to the party than never show up.

I've also been reading Sherlock Holmes mysteries written by more modern-day authors. I was a big fan of the 1980s-1990s PBS Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett, so whenever I read these books I hear his voice speaking the words.
CabCalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 08:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
If you like a mystery series with a little historical fiction thrown in I have started reading the Verity Kent series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/193...kent-mysteries

The cover art reminds me of Maisie Dobbs - which I also enjoy!

My Library has them for digital loan - I'm not sure if they have physical copies. Since the pandemic, I have not been to the library - I just borrow everything on my Kindle!

Donna
Thank you!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 08:15 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Cab, how cool that you are reading Nancy Drew! I have thought about re-reading...I also read some Hardy Boys when younger (and watched both TV shows, too).

I finished The Deadly Deletion; it was okay. I think the problem with these cozy mystery series is that they start to suffer after many installments, as you eventually have to make long-time, established characters either murderers or victims. (This is a problem in the Hannah Swenson series too.)

I've been reading The Very Nice Box, a cute novel (so far) where the characters work for an IKEA-like company. I finished several of the non-fiction books I mentioned upthread (Quiet, The Body is Not an Apology, and Yoga for Healthy Aging).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-21, 08:34 AM  
Erica H.

I finished What Happened To You?: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing. I thought the content/information was good but didn't like the "conversation" format and thought it was distracting.

Starting Gabrielle Union's new book. I haven't read her first one yet but this one is on hold at the library and will have to be returned soon so I'll read them out of order.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading