Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-21, 07:01 PM  
T2B

Boss Bands Total Body Timesaver#1 Legs, Shoulders & Core, 28mis. I used the same band as Cathe, no gloves. I enjoyed it although it did feel easy (I like doing easy workouts). The bands kept me engaged. Although most of the exercises are the same as in some of Cathe’s other workouts, I think the use of the band makes it more playful and not just hard work like it can feel sometimes with weights.

The orange band felt too easy in places so I’ll definitely start with the lime green band next time. My favorite move is the stir the pot move. I definitely felt the burn in lots of places and as soon as I got tired of holding the band the exercise would be over and on to the next thing.

I can see myself using this as a recovery day/week workout or as my 2nd, easier workout of the day or even on a low energy day. TS premix #1 went by fast and left me wanting more. I’m looking forward to doing the full workout.

I love the background.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 07:06 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Thank you . I like variety of tools. I won’t mind the same moves because for me, I’ve not done them. Lol

What is the difference in live stream and on demand?

Do you need a membership as in pay every month?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 08:47 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
Just to be clear I don’t think Cathe is purely trying to capitalize on the bands, I just didn’t like the workout. Cathe has every right to make money off her workouts and equipment and has continuously put out superior products. She obviously cares about the quality of her work. I just didn’t think the bands increased the effectiveness of these workouts. I kept thinking that it would be a better workout just using weights and would have been totally happy with a workout that incorporated the equipment in some exercises but the way she did it felt forced to me. I love Cathe. I’m subscribed to Live right now and she’s been my most used instructor of all time but the last three years I’ve branched out more. Most of the time I do streaming and YouTube now and I just like how other instructors are changing things up.

Jane
Thanks Jane, I get it now. Not every workout is a hit for everybody and I respect your opinion.

Yep, there are so many choices now with You Tube and various streaming sites!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 10:38 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I did Boss Bands, Total Body and really enjoyed it. It's an intermediate level workout, and definitely not for beginners. I liked the feel of the bands. The orange band is the least resistance, the green is medium, and the blue is high resistance. Since it was my first time doing the workout, I stuck to the green and orange bands.

Resistance bands have been used in exercise routines for many years, and Cathe did not reinvent the wheel, however these bands are longer than the usual resistance bands, and are thick and easy to hold. Cathe appropriately incorporated the bands into the exercises. Personal trainers (including myself) have been using resistance bands for ages, because they eliminate the effects of gravity and work the muscles differently from free weights.

If you are doing the exercises with proper form, then you will feel the exercises in a big way, and will be working your muscles to fatigue. Many people do not use bands with proper form and do not realize it, until a personal trainer watches them and points out the corrections.

The warm up has you moving fairly vigorously and using the entire body with each move. There are various lunges while moving the band above your head. I felt it in the shoulders.

The workout emphasizes upper body more than lower body. I would have liked more squats, and more floor work for outer thighs. My favorite exercises were lying hip raises with the bands for resistance, to target the glutes and hamstrings.

There was a series of pushups using the band to add resistance. Those were hard because you just finished a tough set of triceps exercises. It would have been better to do the pushups first, and the triceps exercises afterwards.

The standing biceps series was tough. Jenn was struggling because Cathe has them using a combination of the blue and green bands, which I found impossible. Those women are super strong.

The workout starts with standing exercises, brings you to the floor, then back up to standing, and then back to the floor for the stretch. I would have liked a longer stretch at the end, but the bands are fantastic for the stretching exercises. I plan to use them for additional flexibility workouts, including yoga.

Cathe was upbeat and friendly, as usual. I liked seeing the familiar crew. The set is bright and cheerful. The music was pretty good, too.

I will do this workout on days that I am not doing heavy strength or long cardio. It's a welcome change from the usual routines.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 06:17 AM  
laurawd

FitBoop - thanks for a great review. I'm a bit wary of these workouts (didn't preorder but will do them when they come out OnDemand). I guess my hopes were for something truly advanced. Maybe in her future videos. I agree that banded resistance training can be very effective when properly executed.
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 07:19 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Did you order the DVD? Or do you mean the download?

I thought I read it’s a pre-order. ?

I’m very close to hitting the download button as I love her Quality dvds

IMHO she is top notch on quality and quantity.

DVDs
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 08:35 AM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
I did the total body bands DVD this morning. The loops are great, nice quality and they’re labeled by strength. Cathe and crew wear weight gloves and I did too. The workout was just so so for me. It has a very long warm up, then different chapters for body parts, a very short core section, and a pretty nice stretch. I really love Cathe but as a whole the workout didn’t feel inspired or challenging, I didn’t even break a sweat. The bicep section was tough and I liked doing the push-ups using the band. It just felt way too easy and a little gimmicky. I might have been a little cranky but it really irritated me how Jen kept yucking it up and acting like it was the hardest thing she’s ever done. I think Jai was trying to ignore her. I know it’s a band workout but it was like Cathe felt compelled to use the band for everything, it just didn’t feel fresh and new to me. I was looking for something different but it felt like the usual Cathe exercises just using the band instead of weights. Hopefully the loop workout delivers.

Jane

Jane
This exactly! I’m not sure what I think about the workout either. There could’ve been more lower body, but I prefer lower body. My small wrists just couldn’t handle some of the moves/ holding onto the band constantly. Plus, some of the moves changed too fast and while trying to get the band into position I lost a few reps. Don’t know….might be tossing this one. I DO love the bands though. Great quality!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 09:36 AM  
fanofladyvols

Premixes on Band DVD and Loop DVD

Fitboop I wonder if the bands workout was lighter in lower body because the loop workout focus was lower body? Just a thought.

Here are the premixes on the DVDs. (I rounded up or down on minutes but please be aware she notes times of premixes to the second.)

Boss bands premixes

Timesavers
  1. Legs, glutes, core ...28m
  2. Upper body...46m
  3. Back, biceps, core...29m
  4. Shoulders, triceps, chest...33m
  5. Core Focus...23m

Mish mosh
  1. No legs or core...52m
  2. Scrambled...56m
  3. Double legs & shoulders, Legs & Core...48m

Boss loops premixes

Timesavers
  1. No floor work & glutes... 36m
  2. No floor work, glutes or core...27m
  3. Floor work, glutes, core...35m
  4. No Core...43m

Mish mosh
  1. Double it...92m
  2. Double floor work & glutes...67m
  3. Extra standing lower body strength w/low impact Cardio...68m
  4. Double standing lower body strength w/low impact cardio...43m

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 09:40 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

How does a premix work? I’ve never done one and don’t understand how it works.

Please explain

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 12:35 PM  
T2B

Boss Loops Glutes & Core - I used the lime green band for the whole workout. For the standing work, I should have used the blue band. I kept adjusting the band and still didn’t feel much in my legs or butt during the standing work. I felt the floor work though. I skipped the core work but it looked good. Felt more like a cardio legs workout. Good music and will make a nice sub for XTrain Legs, Lean Legs & Abs & Great Glutes.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boss bands, boss bands glutes core, boss bands total body, boss loops glutes core, cathe, cathe downloads, cathe equipment, cathe live, cathe premix, cathe premixes