Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-21, 09:51 AM  
Vantreesta

Have a great trip! You're doing great!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 12:33 PM  
kat999

Thanks for the support, everyone, and if you're doing this or even any other JM workouts, PLEASE feel free to comment!

I'm back from my trip. I took Friday as a rest day, did 30 minutes of recumbent bike in the hotel gym on Saturday, and then did a 30 minute treadmill walk/jog/run interval workout on Sunday. I took yesterday as an additional rest day, and today I'm back at it with Body Revolution! Today I did Workout 3 and Cardio 1. My plan tomorrow is to do Workout 4 and Cardio 1 again, and then on Thursday I start Phase 2!!! So excited to have made it this far!

Results: I took alllll weekend and today off of weighing, but I did notice that some jeans that I only just bought that are a size 12 are already extremely loose on me. I'll resume my daily weigh-ins tomorrow once I have had one full day of better food choices (the weekend was a free-for-all and while I tried to be careful, I also wanted to have fun). Back on plan today, though!
Old 07-07-21, 01:50 PM  
kat999

Today was the end of Phase 1! Woo hoo! I finished a whole month of this system, and I loved almost every minute of it.

Today I did Workout 4 and Cardio 1, but because I did Cardio 1 yesterday, too, I swapped in some of the moves just to keep it interesting. Both workouts went great, I am a big sweaty mess, and I've already hit my daily Move and Exercise goals on my Apple Watch. Got in almost half of my daily step goal, too.

Tomorrow I start Phase 2 with Workout 5, and I'm pretty excited for some new material, to be honest. I probably will not do a second workout add-on unless W5 isn't at least 30 minutes long, plus I want to get used to the intensity level of the new phase before I get too crazy.

Results: I did weigh myself today after several days' break from that, and I didn't gain as much weight on my vacation as I feared (I did gain some, though). I'm still down a total of 5 lbs. in 30 days, and I know that being back on plan will shred off that last vestige of vacation weight (which was actually pretty minimal). I noticed this morning that I'm starting to develop some visible definition in my abs, my upper chest, and I also noticed some definite fitness gains in a couple of moves in Workout 4, including the height I can reach when doing the lying side leg lifts.

My weight loss has sort of slowed down a little, but I think shifting into a tougher phase will re-accelerate it once again. Last week, based on my rate of weight loss, I was on track to reach my goal by Halloween, but now my estimate is pushed back to New Year's Eve. I'd really like to get it back to at least November if I can.
Old 07-08-21, 11:14 AM  
kat999

Phase 2!!!! This was a toughie. It's 36 minutes, which is among the longer ones in the system, and I burned 224 calories, with my HR going from 93-171 for an average of 141. I had to modify a lot and used slightly lighter weights for some moves, but I think next time around with this one I'll be able to do more of it (sometimes I just get intimidated by something that looks tough and I modify without knowing if I really need to). I'm not going to do an add-on any days this week, I think, due to me being able to tell that this phase is going to be a little rough.

Results: my weight was the same as yesterday, and this morning my BP was not quite as low as it has been, but it was still nowhere near as high as it used to be. I am noticing a lot of muscle soreness in weird places, like the teres muscles as well as a flare-up of either my occasional bouts with plantar fasciitis or possibly even tarsal tunnel syndrome. Whichever it is, I think I'm due a nice footsoak in some epsom salts later.
Old 07-09-21, 11:30 AM  
kat999

Phase 2, day 2! Workout 6 done today, and like all the even-numbered workouts that focus on the back of the body, I liked this one a lot more than workout 5. I did have to modify a lot, but I can tell that with a few more times through, I'll be able to do most of this without much modification (except maybe the cardio segments). I burned 191 calories in 33 minutes and my HR stayed between 102-165 for an average of 136. I think it'll be more of a calorie toaster if I can go a little more intensely and choose the harder modifications. Also, since it was not a huge burn, I'm going to go ahead and do a short add-on of FIRM Express Cycle 1 Cardio (which is just 20 minutes long and pretty easy for me, but it does torch some calories).

Results: This morning's weight was the same, my BP was back down a bit from yesterday, and I'm honestly having a LOT of ankle and muscle soreness, so I'm wearing PF socks and an ankle wrap, both of which are helping quite a bit. I think I'm just not used to working some of the muscles this program engages. Yesterday it was the teres muscles aching, I'm having some twinges in my obliques, and today I'm having serious DOMS in the sides of my glutes. Jillian did NOT COME TO PLAY.
Old 07-10-21, 01:39 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Hi Kat999, great job with your roation so far! Glad to read you had a nice trip and got back on track right away, kudos to you. I enjoy reading your posts a lot. I hope the BP and soreness goes away, have you been adding in good long stretches? Maybe that would help a bit, I also foam roll when I am very sore and it does help a lot, I should foam roll more often actually. I hope you keep it up, you can do it!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-21, 01:39 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Hi Kat999, great job with your roation so far! Glad to read you had a nice trip and got back on track right away, kudos to you. I enjoy reading your posts a lot. I hope the BP and soreness goes away, have you been adding in good long stretches? Maybe that would help a bit, I also foam roll when I am very sore and it does help a lot, I should foam roll more often actually. I hope you keep it up, you can do it!
Thanks so much! My BP is back in a good zone today. The soreness is still sort of omnipresent, so I got myself a set of good plantar fasciitis ankle wraps that should help. I had good success using Essentrics for muscle soreness last year, so I think adding some of that in on rest days at the very least would be a good idea. I have never used a foam roller, but I may try that if it persists.

Today I did Cardio 2, and I like this one a lot better than Cardio 1; more of the moves seem doable without much modification if any, but I have to say that doing three full sets of the same circuit got a little boring and I modified in the third set not out of difficulty but out of a desperate need to just change the moves to alleviate boredom. I'm not doing any add-ons today because I do want some of my soreness to abate.

Results: I am FINALLY off my tiny plateau with my weight and have lost an additional .6 lbs. for a total of 5.6 lbs. in 32 days. So it is moving in the right direction again, and I now weigh less than I did before I left for my trip last week. Woo hoo! This does prove to me that if I have any other vacations or trips where it's hard to stay on plan, any effects will be minimal and temporary.

I will say one last thing about today's workout: Jillian made some kind of gross comments that I did not love wherein she waxes hyperbolic and wants the workout to be hard enough to trigger vomiting, then she makes a comment that sounds a bit too much like an eating disorder for my comfort. I am going to try to compartmentalize that as a weird, unscripted moment in a workout that is almost a decade old now, but good grief that sits very poorly with me. I know a lot of people who have done BR who eventually swap the cardio disc after a few runs through (I did that with Cardio 1, after all), and even though I actually really like this workout overall, I don't know if I can handle hearing that remark twice a week for a month. :/
Old 07-10-21, 06:51 PM  
Helen

Hey Kat, I'm still reading and LOVING reading your posts.
SO sorry that I haven't stuck with it (barely began!) - it sits on my 'to-do' list every day but life (and other workouts) have taken priority.

Congratulations !! on the 5lb weight-loss. That's not insignificant.
THIS is making me more determined to start again - I'm back-to-work tomorrow (teacher) after school holidays, sounds like a good place to RE-start.

As to Jillian's comments - that's a big reason why I enjoy Cathe so much - she seems to REALLY get that people use the workouts repeatedly and keeps comments that would grate after several hearings to a minimum. She understands her audience!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 02:57 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Hey Kat, I'm still reading and LOVING reading your posts.
Thanks, Helen! I'm glad you're enjoying this! Sounds like indeed if you're having a schedule reboot tomorrow, that would be a great time to restart this program!

I think the comments are also why I like the FIRM a lot, too. Like Cathe, they kept chatter to an absolute bare minimum and mostly just gave form pointers. There are a few goofy exceptions, but I appreciated that everything was usually pretty neutral and on topic without grating.

Today I did Workout 5 again, and I did a lot better with fewer modifications, although I still can't do a few things without making them a little simpler or swapping in a move that works the same muscle groups without being quite so challenging. For example, there are lying side triceps lifts that challenge the obliques, and I only did one set on each side before swapping out with seated French press, as I kind of really strained my obliques doing that move the last time I did this workout. But overall, I'm doing more and more unmodified things, which is pretty inspiring!

I did do an add-on today of FIRM Express Cycle 2 Cardio/Sculpt (just 20 minutes), because I had the time and felt like upping my calorie burn a bit more for the day. I modified that one way down to reduce impact, doing low-impact mods on the bursts (I usually do those unmodified but since it was just my second of two workouts today, I didn't feel like totally punishing myself. )

Results: today's weight was not so good; I bounced back up a little bit. BP was also a TINY bit high as well, but honestly I don't always stay on total food plan on the weekends, so I know that's why. I'm back WAY on plan today, so between that and the 50 minutes of exercise, I think tomorrow will show some better news on the scale. I will say I'm seeing strength and cardio gains in terms of my performance every single day now. I'm always able to push it a little harder, jump a little higher, wield a heavier weight, etc. And that second workout honestly felt like NOTHING to me, when sometimes I do that one as my main workout of the day (modifying up a little) and feel utterly wiped out. This time it felt like it was over before it got started.

I do think for me that metabolic/HIIT training is something I truly hate, never gravitate toward on my own, never crave, etc., and yet it's consistently produced results for me. That knowledge makes me groan, because I love my steady-state, low-impact aerobic weight training sessions that barely break a sweat, haha. Clearly those are not what gets the weight off me, though.
Old 07-12-21, 12:19 PM  
kat999

Today was Workout 6 again, and I did even better than I did the first time through. I was able to modify a lot less, and I really enjoyed it. I do feel like this one is much slower paced, which is great since Workout 5 and Cardio 2 are a little more frenetic. I appreciate have so many moves that are in my wheelhouse so I can just kind of focus on form, reps, and increasing my weight sizes.

I did an add-on of FIRM Express Cycle 3: Cardio, modifying the bursts to be low impact, and the minutes just flew by. Honestly, Body Revolution is making so many other works SO much easier for me. It was a total breeze and a real treat to spend 20 extra minutes with a workout that used to be challenging for me but now feels like active recovery.

Results: weight is back down a little bit today, and my BP was in a REALLY good zone this morning.

I may swap my rest day and cardio day this week due to a planned outing with some colleagues, so I'm going to attempt to get to 10K steps today in addition to having done these two workouts, to kind of bank some extra effort and make up for losing tomorrow's workout time. Although, really, if I get done with my event early, I may squeeze Cardio 2 in before dinner or something. We'll see!

Feeling pretty great!

Tags
body revolution, body shred, check-in, jillian, jillian michaels