Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-21, 11:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Do you think life will ever go back to "normal?"

Maybe enough folks will get vaccinated to stop the spread of Covid. Maybe "herd immunity" will be enough to make up for those who don't care to get vaccinated. Maybe Covid will be like the seasonal flu with an annual vaccine to keep it from spreading like wildfire again. Maybe it will be over.

That's a lot of maybes and nobody will know the answers for a long time.

In a perfect world, by this time next year the global pandemic be a painful memory. Just a dark passage in the history books.

We all want to move on.

For me, I will NEVER feel the same about people in general. Lack of faith in the innate goodness of others will be my new normal. If not for VF and the kindness and compassion I see here every day, I would despair about humanity.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-25-21, 12:03 PM  
rhbrand

Not for a long time thanks to people who refuse to mask up or vaccinate.

Already there are variants of the virus going around and soon, one will not be covered by any of the vaccinations we have.
Old 04-25-21, 12:14 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I don't think we'll ever go back to the way things were, but I hope we can get to some sort of new normal. It's really complicated, because it's not just the virus.... it's also all of the political stuff and things that have nothing to do with the virus that have scarred all of us.
Old 04-25-21, 12:22 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I do not see us ever going back to the way things were pre-COVID. The virus is one thing, how the human race has reacted to it is another. From my viewpoint, more people decided to feed upon each other than come together to find solutions.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone on the front lines.
Old 04-25-21, 12:27 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Normal changes constantly, though usually more slowly. When I was young we had one landline phone, got one TV station on the antenna and if we missed a show it was just tough, fast food was A&W drive-in or Foster's Freeze and a treat not a default. Actual dinner out happened about twice a year. We had a very small JC Penny's and a Sears catalog office. Orders could be picked up at the store 2 weeks after ordering. Seems like once a generation something causes sudden changes. My parents' and DH's parents' youths were significantly affected by WWII.

I'm in the foothills in California which skews more conservative than most of the state. Though less than half of people 16 or over have had at least one shot, the vaccine clinics are not filling. The county clinic this week filled 500 spaces out of 1500 available. We have had a fairly low infection rate, which is good but means community immunity is not going to help much. People were never good at wearing masks and are convinced they no longer need to because other people are vaccinated. I think they'll be surprised and outraged when our vaccination rate keeps us in a more restrictive category.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
Old 04-25-21, 12:39 PM  
Leonana

I think we'll have a new normal. With future pandemics, the world will have to work together. We can't be isolationist anymore.

With the variants, my optimism is quite a bit less that this will go away anytime soon. However, people are in pandemic fatigue, and refusing to stay home. More states are opening up, including mine. I guess the new normal will be living with the pandemic for awhile. Although, since the variants are more serious, maybe people will be moved to wear masks and vaccinate.

I have read the vaccines provide partial protection against the variants. At least we can get vaccinated, and have some protection, despite those who won't do the same. There is one positive aspect to it. With less demand here, we can start sending vaccines to other countries. What happens in other countries affects us here eventually.

While my science denying friends and relatives didn't change their views completely, they did move a fraction. So, that was positive, although I still get frustrated with them at times.
Old 04-25-21, 12:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Normal changes constantly, though usually more slowly. When I was young we had one landline phone, got one TV station on the antenna and if we missed a show it was just tough, fast food was A&W drive-in or Foster's Freeze and a treat not a default. Actual dinner out happened about twice a year. We had a very small JC Penny's and a Sears catalog office. Orders could be picked up at the store 2 weeks after ordering. Seems like once a generation something causes sudden changes. My parents' and DH's parents' youths were significantly affected by WWII.
I've started to think of this pandemic time as like the Civil War. Brother against brother. Neighbor against neighbor. A battle of fundamental beliefs.

Quote:
I'm in the foothills in California which skews more conservative than most of the state. Though less than half of people 16 or over have had at least one shot, the vaccine clinics are not filling. The county clinic this week filled 500 spaces out of 1500 available. We have had a fairly low infection rate, which is good but means community immunity is not going to help much. People were never good at wearing masks and are convinced they no longer need to because other people are vaccinated. I think they'll be surprised and outraged when our vaccination rate keeps us in a more restrictive category.
Mask compliance has been poor here since the very beginning. Now folks don't even want to bother. I spoke to my doctor the other day and she said she is afraid to go to get gas for her car because of the numbskulls who berate her for wearing a mask. In what world, old or new, is that ever right?

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-25-21, 12:53 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
This is so true. I think the pandemic has just accelerated some things that were already happening, a further Zoom forward into the digital age, with more dependence on mobile but distanced communications and learning, health care, ordering, delivery.

I think these things have some very unfortunate side effects, as humans need physical and face-to-face connection with other humans for sociability, music, learning, all the other arts.

I think many people in developed nations have been living with the misperception that modern medicine has made us nearly impervious to infectious disease, while people in the developing world have always lived with the reality that this isn’t true. The pandemic has also hopefully made some of us more aware that choices that we make every day, every year as individuals and as a group, have consequences to our individual and collective health.
Old 04-25-21, 01:32 PM  
Gams

It won’t for me. I’ve lost most of my friends either over political or COVID matters.

I had my oil changed this week. I put on my mask and walked up to the building. There was a sign on the door saying that you had to remove any masks that might be in your vehicle for the safety of the service technicians, so I went back and took all my masks out of my jeep. Then I walked back to the building, went inside and saw that none of the employees were wearing masks except for a couple who had them around their necks. I wanted to smack them all.
Old 04-25-21, 02:04 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I don't know if it will return to normal for me. Out here in the Texas Panhandle the pandemic has been over for months - if you ask any of the unmasked hoards that we have living here. Many older folks I see are still wearing a mask, but almost all of the younger folks I see are not. I know many who say they will not get vaccinated. Despite having enormous numbers of cases back in November and December - with super high hospitalization rates and death rates necessitating morgue trucks in the hospital parking lots - I don't think we will get to herd immunity - people just don't take it seriously. The irrationality of supposedly educated people - including at least one doctor I know - is totally beyond me. I truly think for them it's all political and the determination that no one can tell them what to do.

Our public school board voted to make masks optional the first part of April and we are starting to see the consequences from that action - an outbreak at the intermediate school down the street from my house has quarantined upwards of 150 students and resulted in at least 8 positive cases of CoVid, including 2 teachers who were supposedly fully vaccinated. The school district is trying to keep it hush-hush. It's disgraceful.

Carol
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, pandemic, vf love