Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-21, 08:05 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
I've learned to not just accept that I'm retired now, but to revel in it. When you figure the first couple of decades of life, you're in school, and for the next few decades you're working, this is the first time that all my time is my own. I have learned so many maintenance things around the house and yard, new ways of cooking, online classes, great podcasts and audiobooks, so many things. I am grateful for so many things.
THIS except the home maintenance part!

I have finally figured out it is okay to just be. Yes, I like to accomplish things but don't feel pressured anymore and my accomplishments now are things I enjoy. Obviously I don't regret working or raising my family but this "free" feeling is wonderful.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 08:29 AM  
sciencelady

Thanks, Alta, for starting this thread!

I'm glad I'm retired and haven't had to learn how to do my job from my home computer - that would have changed the quality of my work and I'm glad I'm therefore retired. I did get replaced at my circus job by a computer program that registers students, but I'm OK with that. I'm still volunteering at a wildlife rehab center taking care of animals once a week and soon I'll be adding a second day to work with nursery babies - that hasn't changed since last year - still wearing masks there and keeping distance from others.

I'm an introvert also, so didn't have a lot of social contact before, but now it's getting better. I get together with friends to walk my dog in various parks, and use Zoom to get together wth friends and play games online. I'm glad my church started to use Zoom to present services as I watched those, but didn't go in to church before too often .

I've dealt with a hip replacement last year and a driveway replacement project, so didn't do a lot of gardening as usual - no trips for spring flowers and baskets. I'm hoping that will change this year as I'm back to pretty normal activities physically. I'm planning on getting my garden beds reweeded, annuals planted and displayed in baskets, and beds remulched, as well as working on evening out some pits in my lawn by filling with dirt.

I'm still seeing and dealing with some shortages or absences in grocery stores and hardware stores, but nothing critically absent from my daily life. Often I have to get an alternative product to what I normally would buy, but I'm adapting to that.

I'm glad my parents passed before this Covid crisis as they would not have handled not having visitors or receiving hugs.

I'm looking forward to the day that I might go see a movie in a theater or go shopping at the mall or have the fairs back in business.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 09:38 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I've learned (well I knew it before but it was very heavily confirmed) how unbelievably selfish and self-centered people are. I'm reading all these heartfelt posts here about people not going out with friends or family, not going to restaurants etc etc. Well the people I've been "friends" with for a long time haven't missed a beat. They get together with family and friends on a regular basis, go to restaurants, parties, concerts (when available). My one friend is on a vacation right now and told me when she gets back we can get together since her work won't let her go back until her quarantine time is up. I'm like what part of quarantine don't you understand? We can't get together when you get back, you have to stay isolated in your home I could go on for pages about the things she's been doing, it boggles the mind. This has truly changed the way I feel about a lot of people in my life.

I also re-confirmed (since I knew this too) that I am an introvert through and through. I did/do enjoy going out with friends but I also completely love being able to say nope I can't make it, I'm staying home. I'll probably be doing a lot more of that in the future now that I've seen the true colors of so many people I know. Not my family, they've been very conscientious and considerate, but friends and acquaintances.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 09:57 AM  
Izzy

I wanted to chime back in and say thank you for the folks who are appreciating your libraries. I have worked in libraries since 2002 and this past year has challenged us as it has many other people. Initially, we thought just offering more e-resources would do it but learned quickly that more than ever patrons wanted programs. We have programs on Zoom, You Tube and our Website. Many performers have become recreative with program ideas. We had a dad who lives about 20 mins from us. While working from home he started baking. He learned to bake scones and he did a zoom program teaching children how to bake scones. We have partnered with other libraries to split the cost of more expensive programming. This has been a blessing in that we are able to offer more quality programs at a reasonable price. Since registration is via Eventbrite we have people from as far as Alaska joining our programs. We started an online book group that grew from 2 patrons and 3 staff to 8 patrons (2 from other states) and 3 staff. Our curbside services have been through the roof. We opened for curbside June 2020, our doors with shortened hours July 1, 2020, closed November 24 to curbside again and opened March 1 with reduced hours. We hired a new head of Adult Services who has come up with so many wonderful programs. At this time last year we were beside our selves trying to come up with answers, what to do? We are thrilled with the ideas and suggestions and the amount of participation from our patrons. This week is National Library week. Thank you for supporting your libraries.
Old 04-05-21, 11:25 AM  
amoodygirl

Wow, I saw this thread early this morning and, before contributing, had to think about this question! Great thread, Alta!

First - I'm perpetually restless. We retired in 2015, built a brand new home in Upstate NY (we're horsey/animal people) and within I would say a year, I was restless and wanted to go! My husband constantly reminded me how exhausted we were after this last move (we were - I felt like I had been run over by a bus every single night).

When the pandemic began, I realized how lucky I was to live in a rural area where transmission was very low. I realized, being retired, how lucky I was not having to worry about going to work every day and exposing us to the virus.

The old saying from the Wizard of Oz comes to mind, "there's no place like home". Our home has kept us safe. We have everything we need right here, our animals are safe and healthy, and we have enough room where we don't get under each other's feet.

I'm so, so thankful to all the essential workers - grocery store, USPS, FedEx, UPS - these people have all put themselves out there from the very beginning and I cannot thank them enough. Online shopping has minimized the amount of time and trips to the stores.

I'm also perplexed and disappointed in those who continue to poo-poo the virus. It is very real. I'm furious with those who refuse to wear a mask. I lost my cousin in November despite she and her family doing everything right. It just takes one infected person without a mask to get you and that's what got my cousin. So, so unfair.

When I got my second vaccine just a little over a week ago, I was so overcome by emotion for those who didn't make it to this point and how lucky I felt that I was still here.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on this later. I am loving the responses to this thread!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 11:43 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Well, I feel like I learned the true colors of a lot of "health and fitness pros." As news of the pandemic began to spread in early March last year, I looked for the pros I followed on SM to post that this is serious and we need to follow the advice of scientists and doctors to flatten the curve. Instead, many of them seemed concerned over only one thing - reopen the dang gyms! All the work they put into getting cuts in their thighs are gonna go down the drain if they can't get to a squat rack! (rolleyes) That was such an eye opener for me; the vast majority of "fitness" people and groups I followed only wanted you to stay healthy as long as they could keep draining your wallet. I unfollowed nearly everyone and it's actually a breath of fresh air to not have feeds full of "10 glute exercises you need to be doing right now."

Sorry about the rant On the plus side I learned a lot about systemic racism.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 12:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the great replies! I was hesitant to post but now I'm glad I did.

Like many others, I am saddened and dumbfounded by the behavior of some folks. Especially so many of the late teen and 20-somethings. (I call them the "Spring Breakers.")

I think of my late father who, as a teenager, lied about his age to join the Navy to serve his country. During WWII, he was at many of the biggest campaigns for the length of the war. His ship was hit by a kamikaze plane and most of the officers were killed. He made it home alive, but had survivor's guilt. He did what he had to do to protect his country and his family. There was no whining.

These kids now would say, "What? I can't play video games and party all day long? I can't text all day? Worry about the grandparents? No way!"

ETA: Sue B., I just re-read your avatar. Yes! That's what I'm talking about.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 01:35 PM  
Gams

Someone I know wanted to take his kids to Mexico at Christmas. Told him now is not the time - please wait, but they all went to Mexico. He caught the virus there and was in the hospital until they could arrange to fly him back to the US. Unfortunately, he died on the plane ride home. I thought maybe be some of the people out where I live might start taking the virus more seriously, but they all say he didn’t die from the virus - that’s just what the doctor said, but they are sure he died of something else. And the guy’s father, who was on the plane with him when he died and obviously exposed was running around town telling everyone what happened and not wearing a mask himself. I’m totally baffled by the way people are behaving.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 05:03 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

What a great thread!

I have been attending 3 Zoom book clubs during the pandemic- one in NYC and the others here in Florida. They are all different- one is intellectual, another is mostly “chick lit,” and the third varies between fiction and non-fiction.

I don’t miss some of the social events— the thought of large crowds indoors now gives me the creeps.

I do miss going to art class, and have not been as productive a painter as I’d like.I’m hoping to get back to more painting soon.

All I can say about the COVID deniers and anti- vaccine folks is: Darwin will win.

I’m glad to read everyone’s responses here.

Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 05:21 PM  
Daffie

I work in people's home and have seen the generosity and humility of some and the arrogance and selfishness of others. I cut out the latter!!
I don't miss crowds but miss getting together with a few close friends. I don't like zoom because you can't get away from those that are loud and rude. I miss the occasional breakfast out on a Saturday.
At the beginning a few younger people snickered at us for having on masks. That's ok. I have 4 older brothers, I can handle teasing.
I like that I will sing a long to a song in a store even though I have a horrible voice. Would never without a mask. One day I didn't workout first but was at Target so skipped down the aisle. Wouldn't have without a mask.
I left Costco one day because the line was so long. I'm glad I didn't panic.
My husband and I are really friendly people and we enjoy talking with a few people at a time but don't like the feeling of forced conversation on zoom.
I feel happy I didn't gain a bunch of weight.
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, getting to know you, introversion, introverts