Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-21, 09:19 AM  
Carol K

FYI - Bust & Butt is compiled from the sculpting segments of Cardio Burn, Maximum Cardio and Power Cardio.
Old 03-10-21, 10:06 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thank you both! However, I have a 38G bust and a huge booty (both compliments of genetics) so the last thing I need is a Bust & Butt workout!!

Thank you for that idea though!!

Nobody ever really answered my question regarding if they do volumes 3-6 without a box. Maybe I will just try it with just marching in place and see what happens.

I already discovered that volume 4 wasn't easy to modify in other ways unlike volumes 1 and 2. They are really easy to modify during running, jumping jacks, and lunges.

I'll have to check it out without a box but not today! I played sports with my son yesterday for almost 2 hours and then did Jessica Smith's 4 mile power walk. Big mistake. I need a rest day!!!!!!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 12:04 PM  
gladgirl

The tall wooden box was introduced in vol.3 and vol 4 has the shorter box, vol.5 and 6 also use the box in some form or fashion.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 01:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
So, I just re-started the Firm at age 47. The Volumes with the step up box are hurting my knees. I reduced it down to a 6" but they still hurt afterwards. So, I am wondering if I should just do volumes 1 and 2. Or....Has anyone ever had success with The Firm classics without using any step up box? Is it possible to just walk in place and do the movements? I am not sure if that would even work or how that would look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Nobody ever really answered my question regarding if they do volumes 3-6 without a box. Maybe I will just try it with just marching in place and see what happens.
anything is modifiable. i'd say give it a shot since you have more experience to gain, and you can report back to us.

i would also re-read the VF reviews because they are very detailed as far as people's experiences. i went back to read the VF reviews for Vol 3. let's say you do it without the box, there are a lot of lunges and squats. if you modify this workout, your knees will get stronger.

regarding your knee pain - i highly recommend the DVD Strong Knees by Chantal Donnelly. i've tagged this thread so that you can see the many suggestions people have provided regarding improving knee strength and reducing pain.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 08:10 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
anything is modifiable. i'd say give it a shot since you have more experience to gain, and you can report back to us.

i would also re-read the VF reviews because they are very detailed as far as people's experiences. i went back to read the VF reviews for Vol 3. let's say you do it without the box, there are a lot of lunges and squats. if you modify this workout, your knees will get stronger.

regarding your knee pain - i highly recommend the DVD Strong Knees by Chantal Donnelly. i've tagged this thread so that you can see the many suggestions people have provided regarding improving knee strength and reducing pain.
Ok, will do!! I will try volume 3 or 6 without the box because I dislike 4 and 5 is my 2nd least favorite. I will report back!!

I will also check out the Strong Knees DVD....Thanks! I played sports for a long time and, sadly, it took a toll on my joints.
Old 03-11-21, 12:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i found this cool VF compilation of VFers' comparisons between the classic firm videos:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/firmcom.php

enjoy!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 03:23 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i found this cool VF compilation of VFers' comparisons between the classic firm videos:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/firmcom.php

enjoy!
Thanks for posting! I always find it interesting how some people either love a workout or despise it! For example, I hate volume 4 and after doing it this week....will retire it. I just HATE that workout. But, so many people feel it is their favorite!! hahaha

I have been searching for tortoise and hare on DVD format for awhile so if anyone wants to sell or trade than please let me know!!!!
Old 03-14-21, 01:34 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Just reporting back...did volume 6 WITHOUT a box and it was AWESOME!!!!!! It worked!!!!!!! I just stepped forward as if there was a box there but worked on a padded mat on the floor. I could absolutely feel the muscles working without the box. During the step up cardio, I checked my Fitbit and I was in my aerobic zone despite not stepping up on the box. My knees feel good!!!! Hurray!!!!!! I will see if volume 3 is also easy to modify without the step up box and report back. I hate volume 4 and not crazy about 5 so probably can't comment on those ones. But, for anyone with bad knees or other issues, you DO NOT need the step up box (at least, for volume 6)!! Plus, I have found that volume 6 is great for beginners, older people like myself (age 47) who want low impact, people with joint issues, etc. It also has REALLY good stretches both before and after the workout and even Kegel exercises throughout the workout. Just thought I would pass on....

Tags
chantal donnelly, firm tall box, knee pain, knee pain cure, revisiting the firm, strong knees, tall box, the firm