Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-19, 09:18 PM  
Scorpio6

The Development of the Fitness Industry

A friend said something interesting to me today. She said that if you do the right exercises, getting and keeping fit really doesn't take much time, not nearly as much as the video trainers and the fitness industry wants you to think.

She said that the 1980s and 1990s and on through the 2000s, got ppl to thinking they had to do one hour workouts and/or all sorts of strenuous things or they would just not pass muster, or would not avoid all sorts of terrible things healthwise. So this created a collective feeling of inadequacy and guilt with many ppl, as well as a lot of ppl just giving up on fitness entirely bc they couldn't do all the stuff trainers wanted ppl to think they should -- trainers trying to make money. Money was the driver.

She said fitness is really time efficient and simple, but bc of the complication, guilt feelings, etc created by the industry, it has made things worse; and the desire of ppl to be entertained thru longer, boring workouts actually is not all that desirable or necessary for fitness.

I thought her comments were very perceptive and thought provoking. It got me to thinking -- what do our bodies actually NEED for us to do vs what do we THINK we need to do. Your thoughts.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 09:20 PM  
Scorpio6

This should be titled the influence of the fitness industry
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 11:22 PM  
Janine

Miranda Esmonde-White pretty much has said the same thing. She said you don't have to do anything crazy like long hard workouts to be in shape. She said all she does is the Classical stretch workouts everyday and she is strong and in great shape. Thats all you need.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 11:32 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm amazed at how little time body builders or fitness professionals spend in the gym. Like, Jamie Eason. I follow her even though I don't lift any more and I'm just in awe of how good she looks and how minimalistic her workouts are.

I think that some people are just blessed with good looks and a beautiful physique. That's a very small percentage though.

I think those people who are supermodels or superfit are doing a lot of work in the kitchen...that's where the magic is.

Of course the fitness industry wants us to buy their programs so they do invent the newest, latest, greatest to entice us and keep us interested.

I love Miranda and her take on fitness. Less is more, and think about your goals. I want to do life. I'm married to my husband and committed to my family and friends. I'm not married to my workouts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 08:17 AM  
MARIKA

ITA. I read not long ago that anything over 30 min when you lift is basically wasted time. That after 30 min your gains go down by like 80%.
Old 11-18-19, 09:45 AM  
prettyinpink

I agree and disagree.

Basic fitness doesn’t take much, and it doesn’t take much time to improve your health from being sedentary to doing something for a short time each day.

But there are benefits to getting more vigorous activity and being more fit. I don’t think the fitness level one gets from lifting, or yoga, is the same as one gets from walking or Zumba or ballet classes. It depends on goals. There is a basic level of fitness to be healthy and enjoy life, but if your only daily movement is your workouts, and you consistently only do Classical Stretch you probably will eventually lose your ability to lift heavier things, and if all you do is squat and bench press, you might not be very limber or have optimal cardiovascular fitness.

A lot of of the fitness industry is just about selling stuff. But sometimes even those of us who have always exercised are interested in some of it, because we get bored and doing something new is fun.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 09:46 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieb View Post

i think that some people are just blessed with good looks and a beautiful physique. That's a very small percentage though.

I think those people who are supermodels or superfit are doing a lot of work in the kitchen...that's where the magic is.

Of course the fitness industry wants us to buy their programs so they do invent the newest, latest, greatest to entice us and keep us interested.

I love miranda and her take on fitness. Less is more, and think about your goals. I want to do life. I'm married to my husband and committed to my family and friends. I'm not married to my workouts.
100%
Old 11-18-19, 11:17 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
There is a basic level of fitness to be healthy and enjoy life, but if your only daily movement is your workouts, and you consistently only do Classical Stretch you probably will eventually lose your ability to lift heavier things, and if all you do is squat and bench press, you might not be very limber or have optimal cardiovascular fitness.
Well, I'm going to take issue here with the CS/Essentrics comment as I've pretty much exclusively been doing that program for a good 10+ years. I can still lift heavy things. In fact, I don't think I've lost anything fitness wise.

I do think we all need a healthy balance of flexibility and strength. If you're missing one, it's a liability.

And...so often people think of getting in their workout and then they are basically sedentary the rest of the day. That's not life. We need a variety of functional movement including walking, climbing, squatting, twisting and turning.

I love the documentary by Michael Mosely "The Truth about Exercise". It's fascinating how they compare a desk jockey, regular person, and waitress. The waitress rocks it in terms of fitness. She's moving around, twisting, turning, lifting, etc all day long.

I like to follow Petra Fisher and Katy Bowman...personally I think we have it all wrong in terms of "exercise". I like Katy's take...."Nutritious Movement".

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 11:43 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Kettlebells

I have come to the belief that fitness done regulary is the key, consistency. you only need to do 15 minutes of KB so why not other exercises. You can't spot reduce so why not just spend time doing 15 and get it over.

I have felt inadequate with programs that do 25 reps. My goal was and is never to look like a body builder woman. I just want to stay active.

I believe ½ hour is more than enough 3 x a week. Media really does blow.

This is a spot that really gets my feathers in an uproar.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 11:57 AM  
prettyinpink

JackieB, no offense meant. You are right that it can’t just be about exercise.

If someone regularly does physical things, then it isn’t necessarily only their exercise program that is allowing them a basic level of continuing to do the things. It is the actual doing of the physical things! (But how many people are -regularly- doing any physical work anymore?)

I am talking more about getting older and losing muscle. And it depends what is meant by “heavy”. And maybe what kind of muscle base someone is starting with, and very much on what else someone does in her life. I know that Essentrics is strengthening. JMO, I don’t think it is strengthening for the upper body in the same way that lifting heavier weights is.

In my own experience this is so; I did mainly bodyweight upper body (including lots of planks and pushups) for a long time, but I am able to pick up and carry heavier things with ease since I have been regularly lifting weights. But in daily life, hauling heavier things has become less frequent for me. If it was more of a regular occurrence, I probably wouldn’t need weights in my exercise program for the equivalent strength. Again, it depends on goals. If one gets to be in their sixties and seventies and never has need or desire to haul heavy sacks or large tree limbs or shovel or whatever else, then if they don’t train for these loads I think it is clear they will eventually lose it. Maybe I am wrong about Essentrics here, and I didn’t mean to pick on that method. I have similar thoughts about some other methods that do unweighted (and no bodyweight) arms, but they are just opinions. Every person is a little different, too, so as always, individual results vary.

Tags
fitness industry, michael mosley, results, the truth about exercise, twisting, workout length