Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-19, 04:56 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

I like Pilates by Lisa and think her instruction is good. She does do more reps than traditional Pilates, and I think especially for some of her lower body stuff, she includes a lot of more traditional calisthenic mat exercises rather than sticking to straight Pilates. This is actually one of the things I like about her, because I love lower body mat work and her’s is challenging. I think the high reps is why some might say she is advanced, but actually she doesn’t include some of the more advanced classical Pilates mat variations.
Thanks! That’s it exactly. It’s like Ballet Beautiful-a lot of calisthenic exercises.

Traditional Pilates is more 8-10 reps and the moves flow from one to another. Lisa does a lot of all fours work for the lower rather than lots of traditional full ROM things like the side kick series, etc. Not bad at all, just different than true blue Pilates. And a lot of people love it because of that.
Old 09-16-19, 06:33 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I don't have much to add to these recommendations, but rather a complaint about some, in particular Pilates Nest and Jessica Valante, that have such bad acoustics! I can't stand the echo-y sound when they don't use a microphone. If I am going to pay for content, I want to hear the form instruction. Invest in a mike pack for petes sake.

Thanks for the other recommendations - I am going to check some of these out.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 10:12 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I think I'm going with Trifecta Pilates. Its good to hear the cons, because if that is something irritating, it won't work.

I did Day #7 today with Robin. 3 more to go. Then I'll start my new program.

I appreciate all these suggestions and I got to see many different styles.. If you don't know what to look for you don't know what is not a good fit.

You all helped in my decision making..

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 10:29 AM  
donnamp

I like Trifecta. On her You Tube Channel she has a Level 1 and Level 2 Playlist and she also puts out a free monthly calendar that uses her You Tube workouts.
Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 12:50 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
I don't have much to add to these recommendations, but rather a complaint about some, in particular Pilates Nest and Jessica Valante, that have such bad acoustics! I can't stand the echo-y sound when they don't use a microphone. If I am going to pay for content, I want to hear the form instruction. Invest in a mike pack for petes sake.

I agree, good production is on my must-have list for a streaming site and DVD. We all can view workouts in bedrooms/living rooms with mic-less instructors for free on YouTube.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 05:08 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

Todd Pilates

I have been doing online workouts from Todd Pilates, a studio in Austin. They are a good fast workout with modern music. They are also very reasonable for streaming. And he provides many modifications and form pointers. If you google ToddPilates it will come right up. His workouts are also on Vimeo so you can download them, watch them on a Roku TV, et.
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 07:20 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post

Smriti of Pilates Nest recently moved and the acoustics are much better. But, not like Barre3, etc. That doesn’t bother me because I know that she’s a one woman show and can’t afford all the bells and whistles. That said, I can see why it bothers some people.
Old 09-17-19, 06:04 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Smriti of Pilates Nest recently moved and the acoustics are much better. But, not like Barre3, etc. That doesn’t bother me because I know that she’s a one woman show and can’t afford all the bells and whistles. That said, I can see why it bothers some people.
I agree with you Cheri. When some instructors are fairly new in the video/streaming game, they don't always have the best production values in their videos. It's fun to see their work improve over time. Suzanne Bowen's early stuff didn't have the greatest sound, as I recall, but it's gotten really good over the years.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 08:24 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I see what you mean about acoustic. When they are on the beach it’s very windy. They need some noise canceling mics.

The other thing the need is those cameras that follow you, I say this because when they do wood chopper or reach up excercise, their hands are cut off

~~~Cheryl

Old 09-18-19, 09:38 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
Cheryl, I just wanted to mention that Jessica has other workouts besides Pilates on her website, though it seems to be mostly Pilates. She also includes HIIT and some weight training just so you are not surprised! I also like having a calendar to follow.
thank you.. i like that she uses equipment. I get board or tired of the same thing all the time. I like my hand weights and my bands and balls

~~~Cheryl

Tags
pilates, pilates on youtube, pilates streaming