Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-19, 02:41 PM  
VainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
If I do Pilates, I get significantly strong in my core and my waist generally gets a little smaller, and my flexibility increases. But the rest of me turns to flab (arms and legs).
Susan, there are many Pilates exercises that tone your upper and lower body. For lower body, the shoulder bridge and the side-kick series are very effective. Most Pilatesology intermediate and advanced mat workouts incorporate them. And the Winsor Pilates Bun & Thigh Sculpting DVD is a classic for a reason. Also, if you use a Magic Circle in regular mat exercises, every exercise where the circle is between your ankles or thighs, you are working your legs in addition to your core. Pilatesology has quite a few Magic Circle workouts, and there are a ton of free ones on YouTube, though I can't vouch for all of them.

For upper body, there are push-ups, planks, and the standing arm weight and Magic Circle series. I posted links to my favorite free YouTube workouts here: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=225034

Obviously results are different for everyone, but if you'd like to get into Pilates again and are worried about not working the upper and lower body enough, you may want to incorporate these suggestions.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 03:20 PM  
Scorpio6

Thank you so much for this thread, it has been very helpful!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:22 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainJane View Post
The most important thing for me is doing workouts that I enjoy.
At the end of the day, I think that is really the most important thing. There are workouts that I am sure will give me great results but there are workouts I enjoy doing more. For instance, my body responds VERY well to bodyweight training. However, I love lifting with iron too. So I make sure to do both, because I love the feeling of lifting heavy weights. I feel so strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
Didn't Jack LaLanne used to say diet was king but exercise was queen?
I love that expression!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:36 PM  
daisyduke

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I lifted very heavy with body beast and got huge. I’m short and my muscles were well defined and beautiful and big. It does not look nice on my short frame though.

So I switched to running to lean out. It really has not helped.

Bubbles - what body weight workouts do you like?

Eventmom- I was in the TA check in with you and Tracy really did work for me but then I stopped seeing results!!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:43 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Eventmom- I was in the TA check in with you and Tracy really did work for me but then I stopped seeing results!!
hey daisy - now I remember! I got away from TA for awhile too. I'm back at it and it seems to be working. However, I have had major issues with antihistamines causing weight gain. Now that I'm off of them it's working much better. It is tough sorting out what makes sense!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:47 PM  
daisyduke

Eventmom- do you stream? Do dc? I’m glad it’s working for you I love Tracy!
Old 01-20-19, 05:05 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Eventmom- do you stream? Do dc? I’m glad it’s working for you I love Tracy!
DVDs, so continuity again for me! I can't afford streaming and on the FB groups some of gone back to continuity (others say streaming is the best so who knows!). Since I've got the DVDs and not great internet I'm working my way back through them.
Old 01-20-19, 05:09 PM  
daisyduke

Eventmom - do you do DC?
Old 01-20-19, 05:12 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Eventmom - do you do DC?
In the past did DC every other day after the muscle work. Can't do that much impact daily so I'd something low impact the other days. I hurt my knee (fell) so I'm doing DC only maybe 1-2 x per week for now.
Old 01-20-19, 05:45 PM  
daisyduke

Ok! Sorry you’re hurt. I remember you taking it easy on the dc before too.

Tags
consistency, results