Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-19, 03:19 PM  
daisyduke

Do you find that what workout you do affects your results or do you just do something

It’s hard to word this:

Do you find doing different workouts provides different results? Or do you just do something and it maintains your fitness just fine?

Ie: does doing Leslie sansone vs insanity make much of a difference? Both are cardio and both burn calories albeit I’m sure insanity burns slightly more!

I’m tired of killing myself doing very difficult workouts when really the calories burnt is probably not much different. I don’t have a way to monitor calories burned so I am not sure of the difference.

Thanks in advance
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 04:19 PM  
cherimac

For my appearance it's 90 percent diet. I stopped killing myself, wasn't as hungry because I switched to Pilates/barre and walking, and lost 20 pounds. Go figure.
Old 01-19-19, 04:32 PM  
donnamp

I agree with Cheri! If your goal is weight loss, you can certainly out eat anything you burn off doing "tough" workouts. it is, unfortunately, more about food than exercise for weight loss b/c unless you are a professional athlete whose job it is to train for hours a day- you are probably not doing enough formal exercise to burn enough calories to make a significant difference.

Which brings up another thing that is also difficult in our society today - being more active throughout the day and not just during formal exercise time. So many of us, myself included put in time exercising only to sit behind a desk or steering wheel for much of the day. So I think you have to be more mindful about moving throughout the day, too.

Exercise has lots of other benefits besides burning calories so it is worth doing.

I'm rambling, but overall, I think consistency is more important than what you do and if you don't like what you are doing or if it makes you feel run down and wiped out you will be less likely to be consistent. Also, if your workouts burn you out you will also be less likely to be active throughout the day.

Hopefully this made sense!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 04:49 PM  
bubbles76

If my goal is weight loss, I just have to watch what I eat. But if I want to get stronger, more flexible, and more "defined" it's about the workouts. So I guess the answer is yes, different workouts bring different results.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 05:03 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

The only thing that has an impact on my appearance is diet. I can get "visible results" without doing anything workout wise.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 05:08 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
The only thing that has an impact on my appearance is diet. I can get "visible results" without doing anything workout wise.
Yup, and the older you get, the more this holds true IMO!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 05:17 PM  
Lannette

What I eat will keep me lean so you can see the results of my WOs but there are certain workouts that definitely shape my body in ways that I appreciate more than other WOs. (I’m 63.5)

I love making up rotations and then doing them and I love a variety of fitness activities so I’m always switching things up BUT I’m sure to keep an eye on the balance to be sure my body is shaped the way I prefer it to be shaped.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 05:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
What I eat will keep me lean so you can see the results of my WOs but there are certain workouts that definitely shape my body in ways that I appreciate more than other WOs. (I’m 63.5).
Yes, I agree that certain workouts are more effective for shaping & toning. My waist has always been my trouble spot & I think I got the best results from regular Pilates. I haven’t done Pilates for a while now so I guess it’s time to get back to adding some short core focused segments to my regime. (I am 61)

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 07:46 PM  
Taiga

Diet keeps me lean but weights/pilates etc keep me ripped, strong, flexible and functional. It's a combined effort and I wouldn't get the results I need without both.

Different workouts definitely give different results. Prolonged/intense cardio is useless/detrimental for my body. Resistance (in many forms) is key to feeling strong and flexible and to looking fit.
Old 01-19-19, 08:46 PM  
marki64

For me, portion control and 5 workouts per week. I also walk my dog daily about 11/2 to 2 miles, unless the weather is bad (like today, 15 degrees and 6 inches of snow). My Lab loves this weather. I don't! I sit a lot during the work day so from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. I keep it moving. I mix it up a lot more than I used to, but I still like an intense workout. I feel energized and happy when I do heart pounding workouts.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, results