Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-20, 01:13 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Pilates and back pain

I've been doing pilates workouts for many years with dvds. I think I have the form down for the most part and it's been effective for me. However, I notice sometimes that I get some lower back twinges after doing certain routines. I think I pinpointed it down to the moves where you lay on your back and lift your legs off the floor, such as single leg stretches or circles. Is there a way to modify these moves to avoid tweaking the back? I looked up older threads with pilates and back pain but I didn't see this particular issue addressed. I do have a history of some lower back issues but right now I don't have any pain and I would like to keep it that way. Any modifications or suggestions are appreciated. TIA.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 01:45 PM  
fanofladyvols

A couple of things that helped me...I also have to be careful with my back

Making sure my glutes were engaged and sharing in the workload

Sliding my heel closer to the floor rather than the angle usually shown higher..( it's more parallel to the floor)

You could also try a pillow under your neck to help you focus on keeping the focus on stabilizing the movement

Hope those help

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 03:03 PM  
Tammie M

I took a few pilates mat classes with an instructor that went the the Stott Pilates training. She always stressed maintaining imprint when doing those type of moves. She said when you started losing imprint you've gone to far. She was a stickler to form. She believed in controlled movements. She also said your circles should be smaller if you start losing form. I injured my back many years in a Pilates class with a different instructor. She was moving too quickly. It was the move where you are lie on your back, and then lift your shoulders and legs off the ground. I think it is called the banana move. I obviously was not maintaining imprint.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 04:16 PM  
Taiga

As others have suggested, maintaining imprint is very important. Also, making sure that your abs are doing the work of lifting your legs. If you have weak abs, your hip flexors will have to do the work. They can become tight/strained from this and low back pain is a common result. Working in positions with your head propped and your legs bent (at the knees) or doing single leg raises can help you develop adequate ab strength for more advanced moves (legs all the way out etc.)

These may help:

https://fitness.stackexchange.com/qu...ying-leg-raise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix6YwxvJe7Y
Old 03-05-20, 07:14 PM  
BunnyHop

What's imprint?
Old 03-05-20, 07:35 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
What's imprint?
So you are contracting your core muscles to keep your lumbar curve and pelvis stabilized while your legs are moving.
Old 03-05-20, 08:01 PM  
sillygirl

Keep your legs at a higher angle. You can also make your circles smaller. It's advancing the move when you lower the angle of your legs and it'll get into your back if your core isn't strong enough to handle it.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 08:56 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thank you all so much. These are very helpful pointers. I have heard Mari Winsor say to engage your glutes when doing certain moves.

Yes I feel my lower back lifting off the floor during those circle moves. Making the circle smaller sounds like a good tip. Sometimes I do bend my knees a little bit to relieve the strain, I have to remember to do that. And not lowering the legs as much. Sheesh, so much to remember .

Thanks for the links. After all these years of doing pilates, I thought I had the abdominal strength by now.

I remember going to a live class many years ago and I was struggling with a move and the instructor said to me, do you have some kind of back issue? But she never offered any modifications or tips and I never went back. So this has been very helpful to me and I appreciate all the responses .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, pilates and back pain, pilates form