Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-18, 09:52 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Kate - I hear you on the overload of workouts, lol! Beachbody is really amping up their On Demand offerings. I hope Cathe On Demand follows suit and starts adding programs specifically filmed for it like Beachbody. I'd love to see an updated STS or anything else filmed in real time from her. Thanks for the well wishes! My thigh is feeling better so hopefully I can start up again tomorrow. I agree about previewing and trying to figure out what weights to use for 80DO! Great idea of doing a "burn out" round with no weights or bands. Yes, we are NOT getting older...only wiser.

Loriann - Totally agree with you about 80DO. Even though they were the same exercises, the rep patterns and weights changed enough to make them feel different. Joel is doing something similar with LIIFT4. He really does pack a lot into a short period of time. Your Rock Bottoms rotation sounds like a really good mix of programs! Great job on the long bike ride with your DH! Wow, that's a long way to ride! We actually lived in MN for three years in the 80's. Wow, is it humid during the summer so that's even more of a feat during August! (I need a little sweat emoji here, lol).

Week 4 - Workout #14 – Back / Biceps LIIFT 50/50 – 36 Minutes

The format is weights for 50% and HIIT & Abs for 50%. The three weight series exercises were alternating back and biceps for 10 reps/three sets. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going as heavy as last week if you can for the 10 reps.

Weights:
Series 1:
Wide Double Arm Row – 10 reps
W Curl – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Reverse Fly – 10 reps
Bicep Curl – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 3:
Traditional Double Arm Row – 10 reps
Hammer Curl – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

HIIT:
Square Squat Hop –Squat, hop left, center, right, center, never lifting up – modification is squat and stand up onto toes (60 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Wide Mountain Climbers – knee touching elbow – modification slow down (45 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Alternating Lunge Jumps - modification was alternating back lunge – (30 seconds)
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Crunch Up – Reach side to side toward toes (modification was shorter reach to heels)
Full Plank – Arms extended, alternate touching dumbbell in front of you (modification was on knees)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 07:47 PM  
savvychica4

Hi Ladies-

Sorry I dropped off for a bit. The last week or so has been insanely busy.

KateTT - So glad you are enjoying phase three! I love your idea of adding an extra round w/o weights or bands--such a good idea!!! I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time I do that rotation!

Kathy - So happy to hear you are still going strong with Lift4. Thank you for continuing to post your recaps of each of the workouts. I know I'll be going back and referring to them when I start my rotation in October. Oh my goodness--and I'm with you, I would love to see Cathe do something similar to what BBOD has been doing with these last few programs! I know Cathe still has a strong following of folks that still like to have things on DVDs, but shooting things in real time with a new workout for each day really is a game changer.

Loriann - Congrats on settling into a routine/rotation. I've always heard good things about Cathe's rock bottom rotation. One of these days I need to give that one a try!

As for me, I'm still doing a lot of Cathe Lives. Last week after doing Michelle's Dozois' More Cardio Strength--I decided to pull out the rest of my Peak10 collection. I ended up doing both Pure Strength 1 & 2 last week. Boy I had forgotten how strong the band is for those workouts. She does a mixture of band and weight exercises so it added some nice variety to my week. Last Wednesday, I was short on time so I did Cathe's CrossFire Express Live after reading a review about it on another thread. Boy was that a GOOD workout for being only a little over 30-some minutes. I'll definitely be reaching for that one again!

I was having such a good time with my workouts last week that I ended up skipping my rest day. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but by the time Friday rolled around I was feeling exhausted and super sore. I only made it through about half of my workout on Friday when it really hit me. I decided to stop my workout early and spent the rest of the time doing some self care stretching/yoga moves. It was a good reminder of why it's important for me to take a day or two off each week to allow both my body and mind some time to rest. Now I did end up still working out like normal on Saturday and Sunday, but have taken both today and yesterday off. It has been a nice two days off, but I am excited to get back into my normal routine tomorrow morning.
savvychica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 04:40 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
Hey Kate and Kathy!

Thought I would post so you wouldn’t feel alone!

You are both doing great! Kate, I am so glad you stuck with it through Phase 1 so you could enjoy Phase 2 and 3. As you said, you can preview but it still feels different doing it. I think that is why I liked 80DO so much. Yes, you did the exercises last week but with different rep patterns and different weights (not to mention, different goofy Donald faces) the workouts still feel different.
I LOVE Donald's faces. And comments. I really like the two guys.
Kathy: Cool that you used to live in MN! I'm glad your leg is better. Injuries drive me bats..I hate when my body doesn't cooperate.

Saavy! Glad you're back too. If the workouts are a little shorter, I like to add on that unweighted stuff to stretch it out.

So here's the rest of my week so far:
Yesterday was Phase 3 Day 57 AAA. I always like the 3x10 rounds but I think I could have gone a little heavier on this one. I was too cautious because this is such a butt-kicker of a workout.

Today I skipped Phase 3 Day 58 Cardio Flow and did LMOD Body Combat 65. Instead. I'm going to make myself do it again at least once, but it was exactly the same as last week so I switched it up. The Combat is excellent..and I used my 3lb each weighted gloves through the whole thing. Other BC's I've had to switch back to my 1.5s during the workout but this time I didn't. First for me.

More Legs tomorrow. I'm ready!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 09:00 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

savvychica4 - Sure NP! I am a documenter (not sure that's a word, lol) by nature. We can hope that eventually Cathe will have time to film original workouts for Cathe On Demand! I still have all the PeakFit workouts too, and boy they are tough! Good job! I'll have to add the Cathe Live Crossfire Express to my favorites so I can do it again. There are so many Cathe Lives now that I haven't even repeated some of them! I too find that I need to add a rest day or two every week or so. I used to workout 6-7 days a week non-stop but as I get older (or wiser), I give my body more rest now.

Kate - Yes, injuries are the worst! I find myself feeling more "down and drained" when it happens especially if I have an event planned. It frustrates me to feel like I'm falling behind but I've learned that I need to let things heal or I set myself even further back by making the injury worse. Lol, on the Donald faces. He says more with his face and body language than if they had put a microphone on him! The Body Combat workout sounds great! I need to incorporate more kickboxing workouts into my rotations. I always love them when I go on Cathe RT's but tend to not do them when I'm at home.

Wednesday I ran/walked 3 miles on my treadmill. This morning I did the LIIFT4 workout first then added on Cathe Live Kick Butt Boot Camp (what she filmed last week). LOVED this one as an add on because it was only 38 minutes long but packed a pretty good punch! I had to drop the weights on some of the shoulder moves because they were already toast from the LIIFT4 workout.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but Joel isn't doing the workouts along side the backgrounders (like Autumn did in 80DO or Cathe does in Cathe Live). He demos the moves (with or without light weights) and then walks around giving form pointers. Today he did an "Autumn" where he had all the backgrounders come together in a group and did the last set of 30 second soccerball kicks with them. He joked about sweating and needing a shower now, lol. He's been keeping the program informative but fun.

Week 4 - Workout #15 – Shoulders LIIFT Intervals – 30 Minutes

The format for this workout is (2) exercises for 10 reps - followed by a HIIT move for 30 seconds - repeated for (3) rounds. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going as heavy as last week if you can for the 10 reps.

Series 1:
Side Raise – 10 reps
Front Raise – 10 reps
Skaters (modification was to take hop out) - HIIT
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Shoulder Press (Goal Post) – 10 reps
Shoulder Chest Press – (Pec Deck- light weights) – 10 reps
Plyo Jumps (modification was squat, come up to toes) - HIIT
*Repeat 3 times

Series 3:
Upright Row – 10 reps
Swimmers (side raise, rotate into front raise, lower, then reverse) – 10 reps
Soccer Ball Kicks (modification was slow down and no hop) – HIIT
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Scissors – on back, hands under hips, crunch up, scissor legs in and out (modification was bent knees)
Arms extended sit ups – Arms extended at 90 degrees and sit up (modification was crunch)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 08-26-18, 04:56 PM  
savvychica4

Hi Ladies!

Another good week of workouts is in the books! Doing a Peak 10 Cardio Strength workout on Saturdays is becoming a regular thing and I am loving it. Michelle's Cardio Strength workouts are super calorie burners which is nice because on the weekends is where I usually stray a little bit diet-wise.

A couple of years ago Michelle offered an online version of her Peak Fit Challenge program that she offered in her gym. It was a one time payment for lifetime access to her new Peak workouts that were filmed at her club as well as all the original Peak workouts that were sold on DVD. I purchased it, but injured my back right before the first online challenge started. Once I rehabbed my back and got back to my regular workouts, there was some other new workout that got my attention (big surprise) so I never have gone back and revisited the newer Peak workouts. Since I've slowly been working my way through many of the original Peak 10 workouts, today I decided to sign in to the site and try one of the club Peak workouts. Today I did "Sweat and Burn" a nice 40 minute Cardio workout. Since I did Cardio Strength 2 yesterday I was looking for something a little less intense to give my body a break. Sweat and Burn was perfect. It was a nice little cardio workout with fairly uncomplicated moves (which is always a bonus) and no "peaks" aka hiit.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend and cheers to another week of good workouts!
Old 08-27-18, 10:00 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Savvychica4 - Great job on the Peak Fit workouts! I joined her group for the first round but I can't remember if I finished...probably not! I don't know if I still have access to those workouts, I should try to log in and look for the Sweat and Burn workout. I like having cardio options with no HIIT.

On Friday, I just couldn't bring myself to do the HIIT Leg workout. So I subbed Cathe Live Compound HIIT. That's one of my all time favorite Cathe Lives. It's all standing circuits of HIIT move alternated with a compound weight move.

Both Saturday and Sunday were rest days. I weeded the flower beds yesterday but just binge watched TV on Saturday, lol.

This morning I did both the Leg HIIT that I missed on Friday plus the Chest/Triceps workout for this week. I lifted first then did all the HIIT and abs which was a good combo. Joel is entertaining in the right dose in this program...he said something to the backgrounders about not all his jokes were going to be winners because he cracked a joke and it was "crickets", lol.

Week 4 - Workout #16 – Legs HIIT – 27 Minutes

The format is HIIT followed by Abs (no weights). There are (4) exercises repeated (3) times with 15 second breaks then repeated for 30 seconds each two times through with no breaks as the burnout.

HIIT:
Soccer Ball Kicks – (60 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Triple Bear Hop – right, center, left, center – modification was step not hop (45 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Sumo Squat Jump- modification was to take jump out and go up on toes – (30 seconds)
Alternating Jump Lunges - modification was alternating back lunge – (15 seconds)
*Repeat 3 times

Burnout:
Soccer Ball Kicks – (30 seconds)
Triple Bear Hop – right, center, left, center – modification was step not hop (30 seconds)
Sumo Squat Jump - modification was to take jump out and go up on toes – (30 seconds)
Alternating Jump Lunges – modification was alternating back lunge- (30 seconds)
*Repeat once

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Prayer Crunch – (hands together, crunch up, reaching between knees)
High Plank Leg Lift - (modification was not to lift legs but hold plank)
*Repeat 3 times

Week 5 - Workout #17 – Chest / Triceps Lift 50/50 - 37 Minutes

The format is weights for 50% and HIIT & Abs for 50%. The weight portion was alternating a chest exercise with a tricep exercise for 10 reps/three sets. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going heavier than last week if you can for 10 reps.

Weights:
Series 1:
Chest Fly – 10 reps
Tricep Press – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Rotating Chest Press – 10 reps
Skull Crusher – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 3:
Chest Press – 10 reps
Tricep Kickbacks – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

HIIT:
Single Leg Squat Jump switching legs @ 30 seconds – modification take out jump (60 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Mountain Climbers with Twist - knees straight two counts, knees to opposite elbow two counts - (45 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
High Knee Run - modification high knee march – (30 seconds)
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Crunch with dumbbell – legs straight up – (modification was bent knees and no weight)
Side to side drops (windshield wipers) - (modification was bent knees)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 08-28-18, 11:06 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hey all!
Been a hectic couple of days and a bit of motion sickness on my part. Blech. Long story short - I'm too old to go on amusement park rides.

Kathy: I really do like the fact that Autumn does all the workouts with you. Even to the point of making up reps if she's talking or something.
I liked what I saw of Joel in the warmup. Corny jokes don't bother me..I've worked out to Tony Horton's goofy jokes a long time! :-)

Savvychica4: I think I did some of Michelle's workouts ages ago. I don't have them anymore but you're making them sound great again!

Since I last posted:
Thurs 23rd was 80DO Phase 3 Day 59 Legs. Love these workouts. I think I need to go heavier than I did this day.

Fri 24th: I just wasn't feeling it so I just did One on One Volume 2, Disk 8: Iso Abs. Low energy day I guess.

Mon: After dealing with the motion sickness Sunday, I was pretty low energy - didn't have enough food to fuel my workout so I did Gilad's Lord of the Abs - Core Challenge. Everything on the floor and Gilad is good for an easier day for me.

Today back to it! Fueled up! I did Phase 3 Day 60 Total Body Core which I should have done Friday. So this week I'll be mixing up my rotation a little. Possibly skipping the cardio workouts. Haven't decided yet. With this being the last few weeks, I'd like to try to stick to the rotation without skipping any. We'll see.

Have a great week!

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

Old 08-28-18, 06:58 PM  
savvychica4

Hi Ladies! Hope everyone is having a great week thus far.

Kathy G - You should still have access to the online Peak workouts. When I first tried to access them via the link from my confirmation email (that I had luckily saved) it told me the link was no longer valid. I panicked for a second because I had specifically asked Michelle (via email) if the access to workouts in the challenge would be "lifetime access" and she had said yes. Thankfully, I decided to check her regular website and sure enough that was a log-in option on the home page. I tried my login credentials and boom there was everything just as I had remembered it! I'm so glad it worked because I am having fun exploring these workouts since I never got to do any of them the first time around due to my injury.

Michelle's Peak workouts are no joke (the Cardio/Strength are my favorite) but I don't see myself ever doing a full rotation of only her Peak workouts. I think there would be too much of a dread factor for me given the intensity of most of these workouts, lol. But hitting one or two a week has been fun!

And side note--I am totally going to give that Cathe Compound Hiit Live workout a try! I haven't done that one yet! So glad you mentioned it.

KateTT - I feel the same way as you regarding Autumn doing all the exercises in 80DO. In 21D and 21DFX she does not, so I was pleasantly surprised when I started 80DO. I'd much rather have the instructor suffering along with me vs. just standing there directing and giving form pointers. I'm willing to give Joel a pass on this in Lift4 though--only because he seems so likeable. LOL.

Monday was my rest day. Today I decided to do some heavier lifting since the majority of the workouts I've been doing lately have been more metabolic in nature and/or higher reps. I settled on Cathe's Lift it Hit it - Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. It was a nice change of pace from the faster workouts I've been doing lately. I'm hoping to hit the other two heavy lifting workouts from that series this week as well (Back, Biceps, Shoulders & Legs) just to keep everything balanced. This morning's workout definitely had my muscles burning. I know I am going to be sore tomorrow!
Old 08-28-18, 10:45 PM  
Loriann

Oh you guys are all doing great!

I did buy into that lifetime access to Michelle’s workouts last year too. I had tried to do a Peak 10 rotation when it first came out, but couldn’t keep up with all the impact. Even when I am alone in my basement, I feel like I have to do all the moves they are doing (although I am getting better about subbing moves for tuck jumps). I do enjoy doing them on occasion. You are right Savvychica, the Peak 10 cardio/strength ones are tough. Oh and I hated that band! The second set she filmed in her gym with just the two other girls seems a little easier.

Kathy, I too liked that Autumn worked out with us just like Cathe. I may be so focused on working out that Joel not doing it along with us may not bother me. We will see.....

KateTT, I sometimes get a little sick to my stomach on the swing set now! Glad you are feeling better.

Saturday, DH and I were on your turf. We rode the bike trail from Willmar to the middle of no where (otherwise known as mile 17 of the Glacial Ridge trail) before we turned back so we got a little over 34 miles in! DH has over 400 miles on his ebike since buying it last Oct. I was afraid he would tire of it, but he loves it. It has been a great investment.

I am going to check out that HIIT compound workout later this week too. Thanks for the recommendation Kathy!

Have a great Labor Day Weekend everyone and keep the good work!
Lori
Old 08-29-18, 04:45 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Savvy: I like Lift it Hit It. Great series and I do like the heavier lifting too.
Those Peak workouts sound like doozies!

Lori: So glad you came back to post!
OMG I wish I had known you were so close. I could have met you! I have ridden that part of the trail many times! I love my bike too!

Today I did 80DO Phase 3 Day 62 Booty. This week is a 3x10 setup - 3 round 10 reps each exercise. Great butt workout! I keep going heavier although Autumn says this is more of a "shred" phase and we don't really need to go heavy. Well I do. ;-)
So I used my 20s and heaviest new loop and got major booty burn! LOL

Still doing Yoga at lunch too. Varies day by day. Today a little Bryan Kest.

Have a great rest of the week!

Tags
80 day obsession, bbod 80 day obsession, bod, clam, eccentric weight training, joel freeman, liift4, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal